Jason Botterill Discussion 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Is Botterill picking the coach? Or is it the Pegulas?

I'm expecting Pegulas to be involved, but I expect Botts to have his own list of guys to interview. I think Botts interviews them with Pegulas in the room, Botts will tell Pegulas who he has as his top 3, then Pegulas will tell him their opinion on those 3, and Botts will choose the coach, with Pegulas opinion in mind.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm expecting Pegulas to be involved, but I expect Botts to have his own list of guys to interview. I think Botts interviews them with Pegulas in the room, Botts will tell Pegulas who he has as his top 3, then Pegulas will tell him their opinion on those 3, and Botts will choose the coach, with Pegulas opinion in mind.
The worst owners a team can possibly have are ones who think they have any knowledge on making sports decisions (eg: Dan Snyder, James Dolan, The Wilponzis). Unfortunately that seems to describe the Pegulas to a tee.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The worst owners a team can possibly have are ones who think they have any knowledge on making sports decisions (eg: Dan Snyder, James Dolan, The Wilponzis). Unfortunately that seems to describe the Pegulas to a tee.

I would agree, but I think Pegulas are more involved in the personable aspect of a coach. It's not necessarily how he handles hockey decisions, but who they are as a person. That's where their opinion/decision will come from.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would agree, but I think Pegulas are more involved in the personable aspect of a coach. It's not necessarily how he handles hockey decisions, but who they are as a person. That's where their opinion/decision will come from.

They haven't shown any ability to figure out who someone is as a person or whether or not that would make them a good GM or coach. I don't see much of a difference between what you're saying and evaluating them on a hockey decision-making basis.

Reactions: Baccus

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
They haven't shown any ability to figure out who someone is as a person or whether or not that would make them a good GM or coach. I don't see much of a difference between what you're saying and evaluating them on a hockey decision-making basis.

Not going to disagree with this, just stating what I believe Pegulas role is in the coach hiring process.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

I think it is actually worse.

Picking people who need to be good at hockey decisions based on non-hockey criteria is incredibly stupid.

Especially from the couple that were enamored after interviewing Rex Ryan, and I can't imagine they were enamored because of their vast football schematic knowledge.

Reactions: sabremike

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I think it is actually worse.

Picking people who need to be good at hockey decisions based on non-hockey criteria is incredibly stupid.

Especially from the couple that were enamored after interviewing Rex Ryan, and I can't imagine they were enamored because of their vast football schematic knowledge.
We have only snippets as I hope they figured out sharing a foot fetish obsession after church isn’t going to get you wins..

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Sabres organization is overly secretive and behaves like a cult. They're supposed to be in the entertainment industry and they act like they're designing a top secret missile system. Hopefully it can reach the sun. When was the last time the Pegula's or Botterill gave a straight answer to a question? Why do the Sabres apologize to people after firing them? You'll never hear, " I fired Phil today, I was an idiot to hire him, he did a poor job". Why all the secrecy surrounding the search for a new coach? Does Botterill really think there's some valuable information rattling around in that big head of his that other teams can exploit? Does he think executives from the other teams stay awake nights wondering what that great team in Buffalo is up to?

Deleted member 27798

If this is the case, we are screwed as fans. The only time the Pegula's should be involved, and it would only be a formality, is when Botts finishes interviewing his candidates, and takes his choice to the Pegula's...at a token meeting.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Lehner praised the organization multiple times for being there for him in his time of need.

You mean like when he went to them and said he wasn’t right, and the team thought he should finish the season first?

The Athletic article was damning.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
You mean like when he went to them and said he wasn’t right, and the team thought he should finish the season first?

The Athletic article was damning.
Straight from the article. The man needed and wanted a fresh start. Him not coming back shouldn’t be pinned on Botts. This was a person that has been struggling for YEARS. IMO the organization did what they could for him.

“During this whole process our GM in Buffalo was so incredibly supportive. We met when I came back and had a great and productive discussion. Jason and the Sabres organization had decided to move on from me as their goalie and, in the end, my family and I thought a restart would be the best thing. I still wanted to stay if they wanted me. But deep inside I knew changing scenery would be the best thing for my recovery. Now what to do. My relationship with Jason didn’t end in that meeting. He contacted me during the summer a few times to check in on me. His check-ins still continue today, despite me not being on his team.”

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad