Proposal: Jarry and Graves for D. Nurse and 2nd

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
So here's the thing. For me Nurse at 6x6 is a ufa signing which only thing needed is cap space.

I personally wouldn't want to pay for Nurse at 6 million unless it was free.
And although we have our own ECHL goalie, it's not a reason for going full Pokemon gotta catch em all...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What Pittsburgh is sending back in this scenario is every bit as junk as Nurse is, though. It's maybe a bit more manageable because it's split over two contracts, but still.

Nurse has struggles - a lot of them - but he's still a top 4 D. I think if Edmonton wanted to send him to a team that had the space available, they wouldn't have to work too hard to do so at 6 mil - outside of his trade protection.

Horrendous contract though. Thanks Holland.
I was speaking in generalities not any specific Pittsburgh "offer".
The problem with your argument, and it pervades these boards, is that Nurse isn't crap.

/rant on

A host of posters offer garbage for Darnell Nurse and bash him endlessly and they've never seen him play. They just read these boards and posts from other fans who have never seen him play and maybe the same on twitter and think they understand what kind of player he is. They don't.

Oiler fans eviscerate him for other reasons.

If Nurse was paid less Oiler fans (and others) wouldn't dunk on him like they do. The truth of the matter is Edmonton is a blue collar town and when they see a player get paid a lot they have little patience for any sort of mistake. A lot of Oiler fans, and local media, will make life hell for a player here if they feel:

a) they aren't working hard or

b) getting paid too much or

c) god forbid both

Nurse works hard, but he makes some bonehead errors at times. Other times he is solid and plays with a mean streak. He'll never win the Norris but he is a top 4 defenseman. The real crime he committed is that he took the Oilers to the cleaners with his contract. And whose fault was that? Kenny Holland and the Oilers brass, that's who.

They kept bridging Nurse instead of extending him. Then Klefbom gets hurt and is gone indefinitely. So who do the Oilers have to log heavy minutes? Nurse is their only option and he was a pending UFA. So he got paid an insane amount for what he brings. Full NMC. Full Term. In a cap world that is entirely the fault of the organization.

As of the current day posters who offer cap dumps and healthy scratches for Nurse ignore, or are ignorant of, the fact that Nurse once played top minutes for this team before Ekholm arrived. Hell, Nurse played 60 minutes in a double overtime playoff game. Guys who are garbage don't do that.

So no, terrible offer for a player that, for all his faults, is a decent defenseman isn't doing the Oilers any favors.

There, I said it. Nurse is a decent defenseman.

/rant off
There are two types of "crap for crap". Low-paid nobodies who lose their place on a team and underperforming players relative to their contract. PLD for Krueper is a good example. Not that either of them are "bad" players but they are certainly underperforming relative to their contracts.

"Crap" isn't always a literal term.

While Nurse may be an okay 2nd pairing or bottom-pairing dman, he's being paid like a high-end, top-pairing dman, which he is not. We can pick nearly any player in the league sans McDavid and add $3-4mil to their cap hit and they'd be overpaid. Similarly, if you took 3-4mil away from "cap dumps", they probably aren't, lol. Graves for $1.5mil or Jarry for $2mil are decent players at decent deals. I think the general consensus here is that, if Nurse made $6mil, it likely wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad