Value of: Jared McCann

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
25 years old offensive winger, can play both sides and a bit of center, good for 50ish points, good talent, good speed, above average shot, can make good plays, can be soft on the puck, leads Seattle in scoring, but how well can he defend? How much is he worth in a trade?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A team could trade for him and then sign him to an extension - the way Vegas did with Mark Stone. While McCann is not Stone a team may see him as a helpful player to acquire and sign to a longer term commitment.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seattle can’t expect Beniers to come in and light the league on fire. Need depth at C.

as for McCann see if he finally gets a long term deal after bouncing around with 4 nhl clubs plus his short stint as a Leaf.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Seattle shouldn't trade their best offensive forward already (he's still only 25) and contenders shouldn't be paying a premium for a player who has ghosted every playoff game of his career to this point.

Good for 50 ish points?

To be fair he's paced around that the past few seasons. An 82 game pace of 44 points in 19-20, 61 points last year, 56 this year...his career high is still only 35, but circumstance plays into that pretty heavily between covid shortening schedules and now playing for an expansion team.

McCann's next contract may make Seattle consider dangling him, but I don't think the market would be great enough to overcome what his value to Seattle is likely to be the next couple years. You don't build around a player like McCann, but productive players in their mid-20s aren't as easy to pluck out of thin air as fans like to think. McCann has flaws, if he didn't he never would have made it to Seattle to begin with, but he's a solid and decently productive player with enough skill to be a quality piece of the puzzle. Him having (what I can only assume is) a more specific role in Seattle seems more likely to bear fruit to me than him bouncing up and down the line-up depending on what a contender needs on a given night.

Reactions: wej20

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seattle shouldn't trade their best offensive forward already (he's still only 25) and contenders shouldn't be paying a premium for a player who has ghosted every playoff game of his career to this point.

To be fair he's paced around that the past few seasons. An 82 game pace of 44 points in 19-20, 61 points last year, 56 this year...his career high is still only 35, but circumstance plays into that pretty heavily between covid shortening schedules and now playing for an expansion team.

McCann's next contract may make Seattle consider dangling him, but I don't think the market would be great enough to overcome what his value to Seattle is likely to be the next couple years. You don't build around a player like McCann, but productive players in their mid-20s aren't as easy to pluck out of thin air as fans like to think. McCann has flaws, if he didn't he never would have made it to Seattle to begin with, but he's a solid and decently productive player with enough skill to be a quality piece of the puzzle. Him having (what I can only assume is) a more specific role in Seattle seems more likely to bear fruit to me than him bouncing up and down the line-up depending on what a contender needs on a given night.
McCann is still a Rfa. So worst case it’s an arbitration award to have him under contract for next season vs a long term deal.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Have you follow him this season btw? Do you have any comments on his value or did you just want to let everyone know that he has never passed 50 in a season?

I think he's been one of the few exceptional moves that were made in expansion. I think the value required to make it worthwhile to Seattle to trade him won't be there though and he won't get 50pt player value.

On a deeper team he slots onto the 3rd line or maybe as a complimentary wing to a top 6 pair. Maybe 2nd unit PP. Not even sure he makes the 3rd PK unit.
I think he'd be a great fit for the Avs style of play, but not enough of an upgrade to offer much in return. He is closer to Compher than Burakovsky.

Seems like he would carry more importance as a team leader/shepherd for the likely young core that will start finding their way into the organization over the next couple years than what he'd bring back in a trade.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seems like that lazy article by Friedman(which was written after the informations about McCann's desire to stay in Seattle) starts making the rounds even though it's total BS.

McCann has told his teammates and the staff that he wants to stay in Seattle.

So unless there's an incredible offer I doubt he goes anywhere and the only thing that needs to be talked about are numbers($ and term) of his new contract.

Reactions: AslanRH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unless Seattle is going to be spending money on free agent C this off season they should keep McCann at least through arbitration til next season. Beniers will need someone else to help take some of the pressure off him.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In a generally awful season, he is one of three or four players (along with Dunn, Gourde, Oleksiak, for instance) who has emerged as likely having long term value to the Kraken. I can't see a trade unless it is a big overpayment as I think the plan is to keep him long term or it should be the plan if it isn't.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jackass Hextall doesn’t get enough crap for this trade. Dude gave away McCann for scraps. The kool aid gang defend the move for various reasons, including lack of playoff production and we had to shed cap space. You don’t donate a 25 year old making $2.9 that is going to score 40 points worst case, then go run out there and sign Zach Aston Reese to a $1.75 mil deal. ZAR has scored 1 goal this entire season.

If lack of playoff success is grounds for being traded in Pittsburgh, 75% of the team would be gone because more forwards than not are struggling under Sully over the last 3 years. Our first line has failed to produce in that same time - we should go donate Sid, Rust and Guentzel too.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jackass Hextall doesn’t get enough crap for this trade. Dude gave away McCann for scraps. The kool aid gang defend the move for various reasons, including lack of playoff production and we had to shed cap space. You don’t donate a 25 year old making $2.9 that is going to score 40 points worst case, then go run out there and sign Zach Aston Reese to a $1.75 mil deal. ZAR has scored 1 goal this entire season.

If lack of playoff success is grounds for being traded in Pittsburgh, 75% of the team would be gone because more forwards than not are struggling under Sully over the last 3 years. Our first line has failed to produce in that same time - we should go donate Sid, Rust and Guentzel too.

As has been said to you multiple times. McCann would've been lost for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad