Confirmed with Link: Jared Knight to wild for Zach Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
All this focus on Iowa has made me realize....what, do they play like one game a month out there in the West?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
All this focus on Iowa has made me realize....what, do they play like one game a month out there in the West?

I think there was some sort of scheduling conflict a couple of weekends ago? Probably the circus or concerts?

I assume the Western Conference is required to play the same amount of games as the East, so eventually it should even out...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What is the issues with Phillips skating?

If you watch these highlights from his draft year, while there's a lot to like about his hands and passing, skating does not seem to be his strong suit, and he moves pretty slow (watch the D closing on the breakaway where he has a big head start):

Playing with some really good players in St John's probably didn't hurt ;)

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I think there was some sort of scheduling conflict a couple of weekends ago? Probably the circus or concerts?

I assume the Western Conference is required to play the same amount of games as the East, so eventually it should even out...

They are, right now, but it's funny you should say that.

I'm not gonna dig to find the article now, but the new Pacific Division is lobbying to play less games than the rest of the league, or at least get everyone to drop to 72.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Travel expenses, I assume?

Travel for another reason, they are apparently obsessed with the idea "the prospects aren't getting enough practice" because of the travel.

Now don't ask me how this applies to a division where all the teams are in California.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Travel for another reason, they are apparently obsessed with the idea "the prospects aren't getting enough practice" because of the travel.

Now don't ask me how this applies to a division where all the teams are in California.

I get the "not enough practice" stuff. It's the way the sports world is going. They are now saying (I believe) that there should be at least a 5 to 1 practice to game ratio. Some clubs in Europe don't even have the kids play games until they are older and it's all small area games stuff.

I'm not sure how this applies to professional teams where the players are "adults" and get paid to play and practice though?

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
What is the issues with Phillips skating?

Watched him for 2 years, his skating is good, actually really good. He worked with Minnesota skating coach, for 2 summers, plus just naturally got bigger and stronger. It is NHL average now, not a Jason Zucker for sure but as good as many NHL'ers.

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
If you watch these highlights from his draft year, while there's a lot to like about his hands and passing, skating does not seem to be his strong suit, and he moves pretty slow (watch the D closing on the breakaway where he has a big head start):

Man that was a sick goal he scored at the 1:30 mark, that was Brandon Gormley the Coyotees, 2011 first rounder he made look like a pylon.

He is really missed here in Iowa, haven't won since he left.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Man that was a sick goal he scored at the 1:30 mark, that was Brandon Gormley the Coyotees, 2011 first rounder he made look like a pylon.

He is really missed here in Iowa, haven't won since he left.

That was a great goal, but didn't the Wild beat Texas the first game he was gone 2-1 in OT?

Also, they were 3-7 in the ten games before he left, so I just thought the team was not very good this year??

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Iowa has been bad all year. So much so they fired the first coach, Kurt Kleindorst early in the year. Torchetti has a good history with the Wild farm so they went back to him, but it sounds like it's miserable out there in the plains.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Phillips played with huberdeau. Knight played with kadri. Both players had a bit of smoke and mirrors in junior

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I've seen Phillips a handful of times live in St. Paul, as well as a couple odd streamed Iowa games. I think Phillips' potential rests on his skating. If he overcomes that one hurdle, he'll be an NHLer. He's got excellent hands and offensive awareness, but his skating (speed & technique) NEED to improve if he's to have any success. Some of the best skating coaches live in Minnesota, so I'd imagine the Wild's management had Phillips enrolled in some type of program... Alas, I didn't notice any improvements over the couple years he was our prospect.

Wish him the best of luck, and I hope he finds success. He definitely has top-6 NHL potential IMO.

So Zach Hamill?

I can't be the only one who read this and felt this way, right?

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
That was a great goal, but didn't the Wild beat Texas the first game he was gone 2-1 in OT?

Also, they were 3-7 in the ten games before he left, so I just thought the team was not very good this year??
Team is god awful has been for 2 years.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Phillips played with huberdeau. Knight played with kadri. Both players had a bit of smoke and mirrors in junior

Phillips PPG was better when not playing with Huberdeau. His 22 ppg streak was accomplished when Huberdeau was hurt. No biggie, obviously Huby is a great player, but it is a common misconception.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Phillips PPG was better when not playing with Huberdeau. His 22 ppg streak was accomplished when Huberdeau was hurt. No biggie, obviously Huby is a great player, but it is a common misconception.

Didn't that Sea Dogs team also have Jurco....and Beaulieu....and Roussel...and Coyle...not to mention Galiev (who got hurt as well I believe, but returned to put up 34 points in the playoffs)??

Not like they lacked for talent other than Huberdeau seeing as they won the Memorial Cup in 2011 and went back in 2012 :laugh:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins took Knight over a defenceman that was picked 4 picks after him and taking regular shift in NHL.Bad pick by Chiarelli.Proof in pudding.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Didn't that Sea Dogs team also have Jurco....and Beaulieu....and Roussel...and Coyle...not to mention Galiev (who got hurt as well I believe, but returned to put up 34 points in the playoffs)??

Not like they lacked for talent other than Huberdeau seeing as they won the Memorial Cup in 2011 and went back in 2012 :laugh:

They had some very good players--yes--teams they win generally do:handclap:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins took Knight over a defenceman that was picked 4 picks after him and taking regular shift in NHL.Bad pick by Chiarelli.Proof in pudding.

Only watched third period on AHL live when I got home last night so Knight might have sucked in first two periods but he sure had one excellent third- all over the place had a heck of a goal. Good to see what opportunity can do. That Saturday game he was imo one of their top couple of forwards even if coach said he was one of top 4 but I guess that qualifiers

Overall great deal for both and can't wait to see Phillips next week

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Knight and Phillips both did not play yesterday. Knight a healthy scratch? Not sure about phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad