Prospect Info: Jared Davidson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Hope him the best of luck but he'll be dismissed because he is a late round pick, management is consumed with ratings.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hope him the best of luck but he'll be dismissed because he is a late round pick, management is consumed with ratings.
RHP got his shot. I think RHP will start out on the 4th line. But he'll get another shot in the top 9 at some point.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Both confirmed my post, Hoffman over RHP in the top six because he is the better talent, sure. :sarcasm:
The whole league preaches respect for the veterans. They’ve been through the entry level contracts, the cheap bridges, their health is gone. Coaches have to cut them some slack or they lose the room.

Reactions: jrom

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The whole league preaches respect for the veterans. They’ve been through the entry level contracts, the cheap bridges, their health is gone. Coaches have to cut them some slack or they lose the room.

This is a factor many underestimate.

Reactions: abo9

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Honest question, as I know exactly nothing about this kid. But, is he a sleeper? 5th round pick, but over his W career, his stats appear to be decent. I didn't see todays scrimmage, but is he a Roy level prospect, or should we consider him a Mysak level guy.

Let's GET PUMPED over his Hatty!!!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Honest question, as I know exactly nothing about this kid. But, is he a sleeper? 5th round pick, but over his W career, his stats appear to be decent. I didn't see todays scrimmage, but is he a Roy level prospect, or should we consider him a Mysak level guy.

He was signed to an AHL contract so he has work to do to earn an NHL contract. This is the same route Rahael Harvey-Pinard went through. So right now he isn't considered a top prospect.

Reactions: waitin425

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Not a Roy level prospect. Generally considered as more of a potential 4th line level guy, maybe 3rd line.

He was #20 on the HF habs ranking. Ahead of Simoneau and Mysak, below Kapanen, Tuch and Rohrer.

Reactions: waitin425

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Well, we gotta remember we drafted this kid at 19 and a month later he was 20
So it was a overager 'let's see' pick, but he's definitely showing he can play a little

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Not a Roy level prospect. Generally considered as more of a potential 4th line level guy, maybe 3rd line.

He was #20 on the HF habs ranking. Ahead of Simoneau and Mysak, below Kapanen, Tuch and Rohrer.
To be fair Roy is a hometown boy and was drafted in his first eligible year. Nobody had heard of Davidson and he was drafted in his final eligible year. He had a follow up D+1(D+3 I guess technically) where he largely didn't improve on the previous year number wise. Roy was a faller who lit up the Q the following year and looked pretty good at camp and the world juniors.

Davidson played in a much stronger league than the Q and was the best or 'go to' player on a team with 14 drafted prospects including Lambert, Korchinski, Colton Dach, Guenther, and Reid Schaeffer. I think bringing in all those big names also took away from his ice time, which would explain the plateau in numbers. He also went to the WHL finals twice in a row as the #1C.

The guy is pretty thick and average NHL height but hasn't shown his standout skills to Habs fans yet because few follow the WHL here. These kinds of players always get slept on in rankings versus guys who played at the world juniors or locally. The overage thing is already docked marks when people rank prospects, then not making the juniors, not leading the league in scoring, etc. Ironically he probably scores more if his team wasn't so deep, then people would probably overhype him.

Now I am not saying I think he's a better prospect than Roy. I am simply saying I wouldn't be shocked to see Davidson be the best rookie forward in Laval, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him fizzle out completely. I never trust HFHabs rankings cause historically they have never been right. Poehling over Suzuki anyone? Yannick Weber over Subban? Bogdan Konyushkov was just ranked 18th and will probably be top 5 next year. Jake Evans ended up passing every single forward prospect we had including Poehling, Audette, Vejdemo, Hudon, McCarron, Scherbak, etc, and became the only forward NHLer from that period after Chucky and Lehkonen.

Just for fun take a look at three years ago. Norlinder and Romanov over Guhle. Romanov over Caufield. Pezzetta 37th. RHP 25th. Ylonen dropped a ton to all the recent picks (who have mostly busted). I'd also so much of this board, myself included at times, didn't even think Jayden Struble was going to get signed because of his lack of progression in the NCAA and now it seems like he's going to get high priority minutes in Laval.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If he makes it (barring progression that can happen at any age) he's going to be your 4th line forward. Adds a touch of scoring, adds some sand paper, can probably slide up the line-up for short periods of time to add some of that to a skilled line.

Not a bad gamble.

Reactions: NewDef and MadMslm

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He should have been ahead of all 5 players mentioned.

Tuch and Rohrer maybe, but disagree on Kapanen.

All of those 3 not being at training camp coupled with Davidson's hat trick (the Poehling effect) is likely influencing a lot of people's opinion on the matter.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Last year in playoffs, I was thinking he likely 4th line center. Had good playoffs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I didn't even realize this kid doesn't have an ELC. He is outplaying nearly everyone who does. I'm guessing they'll announce mid-season he's signed starting in 2024-25.
Yep, he went down the RHP route in that RHP was drafted I think at 20 and only earned an AHL contract. RHP of course proved himself and earned an NHL entry level contract less than a year later. I think Simoneau is also on an AHL deal, I could be wrong.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I didn't even realize this kid doesn't have an ELC. He is outplaying nearly everyone who does. I'm guessing they'll announce mid-season he's signed starting in 2024-25.

Yup. He's going the RHP/Simoneau route. AHL deal while we still have your NHL rights for another year. And if you earn it, we'll sign you to an ELC. They're doing the same with Tourigny.

Reactions: Sagikev and Tyson

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yep, he went down the RHP route in that RHP was drafted I think at 20 and only earned an AHL contract. RHP of course proved himself and earned an NHL entry level contract less than a year later. I think Simoneau is also on an AHL deal, I could be wrong.
It's good that the current management is using the RHP route. Once you hit the late rounds it's very unusual to find good picks. It's worth taking a shot at late bloomers, guys in weak leagues, and other oddities.

I saw some of Davidson's memorial cup games and I wasn't expecting much. He has been really good this preseason.

Draft position doesn't matter after the fact if the player is good. If Davidson plays well enough he will get ahead. Draft position can matter for players who have not done so well. It's rare for late picks to work out and, correspondingly rare for them to bloom late. It's not all that rare for top picks to break out a year or four later than expected. There is value to a 23 year old who was picked high even if he hasn't done well, but not so much for a player with similar stats the same age picked in the fifth round.

Reactions: Sagikev and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad