Jan Rutta playing Basketball during Overtime

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It’s incredible how some minds function, huh?

“No, spell it out to me! You already did? What, am I supposed to go through these in chronological order or somethin? Don’t be snarky with me, I’m just asking questions!”
Really dude? This is a hockey forum, not basketball. Forgive me for not understanding some bizarre basketball reference. Show a little class, won't you?

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
easily avoidable body contact
Could just be wording, but a hockey player never have to do any effort to avoid body contact with any skater no ?

"legal" basketball pick would almost all be legal in hockey as well, in the sense of establishing clearly your ice before the non puck carrier enter into you and not the other way around.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I get not calling the first one but the second and third were crazy obvious.
Yeah, that's the crazy part. It's one thing to let one go but for it happen 3 times on the same shift and possession and the 3rd leading right to what looks like a A+ scoring chance, I couldn't believe in real time the ref wasn't calling it.

It was so blatant and to happen three times in a row on the same shift was just absurd to watch go uncalled.

I know all teams try and clog lanes in OT and get in defenders' way but I feel like when they're that blatant you see penalties called 90% of the time at least.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I am one who thinks there are really bad interference calls that should have been let go in the "pick" category. The ones where a player is standing still on the blue line and the defending player runs into him during an entry attempt I think are usually garbage calls, but these Rutta picks were blatant and atrocious.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I mean this is textbook interference right? right?
It also is everytime a defenseman stands up to impede a player who dumped the puck a couple seconds earlier. But the refs don't tend to call that. Well, unless you're Aaron Ekblad.

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
It also is everytime a defenseman stands up to impede a player who dumped the puck a couple seconds earlier. But the refs don't tend to call that. Well, unless you're Aaron Ekblad.
And it should be called. They are also not the same play. Picking a defenseman who never had the puck against checking a player who just dumped it in are far different

Reactions: LokiDog

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Really dude? This is a hockey forum, not basketball. Forgive me for not understanding some bizarre basketball reference. Show a little class, won't you?

..right, that’s where reading comprehension and chronology come in. Sorry bro, not gonna feel bad about pointing out how you’re responsible for your own confusion. You clicked the thread, didn’t read, and I’m apparently lacking class for sayin you could try harder before whining.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
..right, that’s where reading comprehension and chronology come in. Sorry bro, not gonna feel bad about pointing out how you’re responsible for your own confusion. You clicked the thread, didn’t read, and I’m apparently lacking class for sayin you could try harder before whining.
:eyeroll:

Fun talk. Feel free to go away.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I know what you mean but I think you would agree that this is a little different than that. There's more subtilty (and less impeding) than whatever this was.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I swear, they used to call interference so much more. Now it's like you can basically interfere with anyone to a not about to get a clear breakaway to a crazy extent.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Meanwhile, the Oilers get called for interference when players run into our stationary guys at the blueline on PPs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some teams are really good at moving pics. Some teams aren't. *shrug*

If that had been Tampa or Boston or even the Rangers themselves doing that, it wouldn't have been any level of surprise. AND that the officiating is crap in allowing it to happen because it does happen so often now bleeds over into being bad for a team that is "supposed" to get the calls. NHL officiating inconsistency is one of the worst parts of their product. Game management, competitive team biases, the lack of calling the rules as written... makes it hard to watch or take seriously. It has and always will be a Mickey Mouse product that is a garage league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad