PTO: James Wisniewski signs PTO with Tampa Bay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wisniewski is RH.
Shouldn't affect Koekoek at all.

Leverage versus Nesterov in contract negotiations. Insurance in case Nesterov threatens KHL. If Nesterov accepts Yzerman's terms (likely a two way deal) he'll get a fair chance to make the team.

Wisniewski, if healthy, is an interesting low risk add that addresses a specific depth need. Best of luck to him!

It affects Koekkoek because Coburn was slotted in the 3rd pair RD spot even though he's a lefty. Now he'll be on the left with Wiz on the right. That all depends on how Wiz does and if he earns a spot but if he does he will bump Koekkoek to the 7 but we run 11/7 a lot so maybe gets his minutes then.

I don't think this affects Nesterov in contract talks, he'll have to go through waivers no matter if he's on a one or two way deal. Would make more sense to trade him now and add someone like Condra to him to free up more capspace.

Currysux*

I will admit my ignorance of PTO's before asking this question....

If he has a good camp, is there any obligation on anyone's part for him to sign in Tampa now? It seems logical that if he has a good camp that he signs with Tampa Bay of course, but how much commitment is there on either party now that he has signed a PTO?

If he is on a PTO I dont think he can just sign with the Panthers for example. When training camp is over he can go to whatever team is interested. Im not to sure on that though. But he signed to try out with Tampa therefore he cant just say screw that. If Tampa lets him then I guess its fine.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It affects Koekkoek because Coburn was slotted in the 3rd pair RD spot even though he's a lefty. Now he'll be on the left with Wiz on the right. That all depends on how Wiz does and if he earns a spot but if he does he will bump Koekkoek to the 7 but we run 11/7 a lot so maybe gets his minutes then.

I don't think this affects Nesterov in contract talks, he'll have to go through waivers no matter if he's on a one or two way deal. Would make more sense to trade him now and add someone like Condra to him to free up more capspace.

As we've discussed on the TBL board before, Coburn is not an LD. He is an RD that is left-handed.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Not a good move for one of the tightest knit cores in the league.

"The Wiz" as they call him, will be a distraction on and off the ice.

Remember the infamous "gesture" suspension. Although that was pretty funny I thought...I can see why some refer to hockey as the 'no fun league'

so its 50-50, maybe the Wiz still has some magic left in him and will chip in a few pp goals

i like it

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
As we've discussed on the TBL board before, Coburn is not an LD. He is an RD that is left-handed.

I'm pretty sure he's played on the left with Stralman and Sustr. He's a LD who plays the right more than the left.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm pretty sure he's played on the left with Stralman and Sustr. He's a LD who plays the right more than the left.

He's played on the left when injuries have required it because Tampa has bad LD depth. If someone plays 90% of the time as an RD, prefers playing RD and was acquired specifically to fill a hole on RD, they are an RD.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
This could be one of the moves people look back on and wonder, 'how the heck did this guy go unsigned'? I loved Wiz to death and hate that he didn't get a fair go in Anaheim.

I completely agree with this. He's a good defenseman when he's put in the right role, and I just don't understand why he was so misused in Anaheim. He would fit in well with Tampa Bay.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I will admit my ignorance of PTO's before asking this question....

If he has a good camp, is there any obligation on anyone's part for him to sign in Tampa now? It seems logical that if he has a good camp that he signs with Tampa Bay of course, but how much commitment is there on either party now that he has signed a PTO?

I believe that no one else can sign him to a PTO?

But if someone offers him an actual roster contract? I think that can trump the PTO deal. Maybe I am wrong.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
please tell me Wizniewski was probably getting offers from multiple teams and chose to try out with TBL. Otherwise it would just piss me off that an already loaded and well run team just made a no risk move to roll the dice on a guy who was a solid contributor before his injury last year.

Seriously, good move Bolts. Some people have said he is probably done, but if not and he becomes a serviceable option for them they get even better. Nice going

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
please tell me Wizniewski was probably getting offers from multiple teams and chose to try out with TBL. Otherwise it would just piss me off that an already loaded and well run team just made a no risk move to roll the dice on a guy who was a solid contributor before his injury last year.

Seriously, good move Bolts. Some people have said he is probably done, but if not and he becomes a serviceable option for them they get even better. Nice going

I guess some teams might of offered league minimum contracts that they could hide in the minors if they had to but with him playing only one shift last year I can see why teams would want a pto.

And he chose a team that has a decent chance to win

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If he is on a PTO I dont think he can just sign with the Panthers for example. When training camp is over he can go to whatever team is interested. Im not to sure on that though. But he signed to try out with Tampa therefore he cant just say screw that. If Tampa lets him then I guess its fine.

He could sign with the Panthers.

I believe that no one else can sign him to a PTO?

But if someone offers him an actual roster contract? I think that can trump the PTO deal. Maybe I am wrong.

I don't think there is a restriction on another team signing him to a PTO. Of course it would most likely not be in Wisniewski's best interests to do that.

PTO's do not give the team any rights over the player. Any team can sign another team's PTO to an NHL contract without compensation.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Not a good move for one of the tightest knit cores in the league.

"The Wiz" as they call him, will be a distraction on and off the ice.

Remember the infamous "gesture" suspension. Although that was pretty funny I thought...I can see why some refer to hockey as the 'no fun league'

so its 50-50, maybe the Wiz still has some magic left in him and will chip in a few pp goals

i like it

While I don't disagree that he seems like a distraction kind of guy, the "gesture" was towards Sean Avery. If it was towards any other player sans Matt Cooke, it'd be over the line, but Avery was a piece of garbage.

Greg Schuler

Apr 3, 2012
Technically, the Professional Tryout, as defined in the CBA, applies only to Goaltenders signed when there are no other healthy goaltenders for a team during the regular season.

In training camp, the player and team agree that the player will participate in training camp and exhibition games. The player is provided with the training camp stipend and can use the club facilities and staff. The team does not cover the player for injury; insurance is the responsibility of the player. The team does not own the rights of the player on try out and the agreement may be broken by either party at any time, or as specified in the try out agreement language.

In short, if a player signed a PTO with one team, but thought he had a better chance with another team, he can break the PTO with one and sign with another. Any team offering that player an official contract (NHL or AHL) would not owe compensation to the other team.

Therefore, Wisniewski can do what he likes in training camp. Keep in mind Tampa may be doing the agent and player a favor, with no real designs on signing Wisniewski. On the other hand, Wisniewski may feel that he can make the Tampa squad, or been given some assurances that if healthy and up to playing fitness and speed, he could make the team. There may even be an understanding on an NHL or AHL contract, but only that , wink-wink.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Really like this. Like others have said, no risk, high reward. Nesterov was really...not great last year. Had his moments, but he was pretty bad last year. If Wiz can be better than Nesterov (I assume he can be), he gets a shot at the Cup and TB gets an upgrade at D for pretty much nothing. Solid move.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Love Wiz. Was one of my favorite CBJ players of all time. But I can't imagine he has that much left. Im sure he can still blast it from the point, but he was sloooooow. Can't imagine him regaining speed after this latest injury. Hope everything works out for him and TB. Glad he didn't go to a team I dislike.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Its just a PTO ...doesn't mean hes signed there. ABut with Tampa's depth on RHD hes got a real shot at getting a contract at training camp.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not a bad pick up. When healthy though, Lightning have a VERY solid defensive lineup in my opinion. Be interesting to see where he fits in if he stays. and at what cost...

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He looked really good in Carolina for 41 seconds. If he can just keep that pace for a whole season.....

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If James Wisniewski ends up making Tampa Bay's roster out of training camp, would Wisniewski be the 6th defenseman, or would Wisniewski be the 7th or 8th D-man on Tampa Bay's roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad