PTO: James Wisniewski signs PTO with Tampa Bay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
This could be one of the moves people look back on and wonder, 'how the heck did this guy go unsigned'? I loved Wiz to death and hate that he didn't get a fair go in Anaheim.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

"Missed all but one shift last year with injury"

FTFY

I hope Wiz gets a solid shot at coming back, I'm disappointed that the Canes bought him out without ever giving him a chance. Unfortunate circumstance that can be largely blamed on the expansion Draft stipulations. Wiz was a pending UFA after this season UFA and the Canes have nobody on D to expose given that Slavin, Hanifin, and Pesce are all exempt along with Hainsey also having only 1 year left on his deal.

Evergreen

how so? a lot of teams probably offered him a pto and he chose tampa. really has nothing to do with yzerman and thats with me thinking he is a good gm

Well, his decision to sign with Tampa could be based in part on the fact that he likes the team that Yzerman has helped build and would like to be a part of it.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I just posted this morning that I didn't care if the Oilers signed him to a one year deal for a million. Great move by the Bolts

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I know it's a PTO but if he's even close to what he was before his injury Nesterov is done here. Also means Koekkoek will be losing some key minutes as Cooper likes his pairs LD-RD and Koekkoek is 4th on the LD depth chart.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
how so? a lot of teams probably offered him a pto and he chose tampa. really has nothing to do with yzerman and thats with me thinking he is a good gm

He chose Tampa because of the good work Yzerman has done of building the team into contenders.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Stevie Y is one of my favourite GMs in the league

Ofc he'd rather play for TB than Toronto if both offered him PTOs but that could have been a good option for the Leafs.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
He chose Tampa because of the good work Yzerman has done of building the team into contenders.

thats different. i read it as someone saying its a great move that yzerman offered him a pto.

guess i misunderstoof

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We have now reached the end of "rather just sign Wisniewski for one year" comments. Dammit Yzerman, you just won't disappoint me.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No risk, high reward.

More than likely, there's a reason he was still around. But if not, could be another steal for Tampa.

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
No doubt Todd Richards being assistant coach factored into his decision.

Aug 10, 2015
I will admit my ignorance of PTO's before asking this question....

If he has a good camp, is there any obligation on anyone's part for him to sign in Tampa now? It seems logical that if he has a good camp that he signs with Tampa Bay of course, but how much commitment is there on either party now that he has signed a PTO?

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I know it's a PTO but if he's even close to what he was before his injury Nesterov is done here. Also means Koekkoek will be losing some key minutes as Cooper likes his pairs LD-RD and Koekkoek is 4th on the LD depth chart.

Wisniewski is RH.
Shouldn't affect Koekoek at all.

Leverage versus Nesterov in contract negotiations. Insurance in case Nesterov threatens KHL. If Nesterov accepts Yzerman's terms (likely a two way deal) he'll get a fair chance to make the team.

Wisniewski, if healthy, is an interesting low risk add that addresses a specific depth need. Best of luck to him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad