PTO: [WSH] F Jakub Vrana signs PTO with the Capitals

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The risks are well-chronicled - time spent in the player assistance program and just one season in which he's played 82 games (2018-19). Coupled with the fact that he hasn't been an NHL regular since his lone 50+ point season with the Capitals in 2019-20.

On the plus side, he is relatively young at 28 and seemed to rediscover a scoring touch while playing with some physicality with the Blues AHL affiliate in Springfield.

Is his talent worth someone giving him a PTO?

Reactions: lilidk

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I always liked Vrana's game. If he's willing to take a PTO, then he'll have some teams willing to invite him. It's great to have someone at camp who has some scoring skill to play pre-season games. It gives the hopefuls someone to showcase their talent with, but doesn't burden your real stars/regulars.

But I'd bet he leaves NA for Europe/KHL. Just a guess.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I always thought he would be a fantastic PTO option for the Devils. His skill set is exactly what this team needs to compliment Hughes, Bratt, and Hischier in a scoring role if he can put it back together.

Devils also start the season in Czechia, so there’s an added bonus there for him if he makes the team.

Funny enough, I could see the Sabres as another legit option for similar reasons.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think his last 2 GM’s (Armstrong and yzerman) really hold his fate. Any GM’s thinking about Vrana PTO are definately going to be calling Armstrong and yzerman for character reference. Something tells me it’s not going to be glowing…

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I always thought he would be a fantastic PTO option for the Devils. His skill set is exactly what this team needs to compliment Hughes, Bratt, and Hischier in a scoring role if he can put it back together.

Devils also start the season in Czechia, so there’s an added bonus there for him if he makes the team.

Funny enough, I could see the Sabres as another legit option for similar reasons.
Devils already signed Tatar for that type of spot. They're trying to get the rest of their lineup to be tougher to play against.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I think his last 2 GM’s (Armstrong and yzerman) really hold his fate. Any GM’s thinking about Vrana PTO are definately going to be calling Armstrong and yzerman for character reference. Something tells me it’s not going to be glowing…

Yzerman was willing to retain half for a full year just to get Jake the f*** out of his organization. Not sure GMs even need to call to know his opinion lol.

That said, other GMs may not be as scared depending on the age and direction. For Detroit it was obvious with a locker room full of young, easily influenced kids. Somebody here mentioned Pittsburgh. That'd be different, as they don't have a whole lot of youth.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Yzerman was willing to retain half for a full year just to get Jake the f*** out of his organization. Not sure GMs even need to call to know his opinion lol.

That said, other GMs may not be as scared depending on the age and direction. For Detroit it was obvious with a locker room full of young, easily influenced kids. Somebody here mentioned Pittsburgh. That'd be different, as they don't have a whole lot of youth.
Yzerman couldn’t get Bertuzzi out fast enough to lol

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

I think he’s pretty redundant on an already soft Devils team…

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
If you want a guy to give about 50% every night and float around the perimeter with no thought of back checking or even attempting to do anything defensively, he’s your guy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Saw him pop up on Instagram and he does not look healthy, at all. He looks like he’s lost a ton of weight and not in a good way. Really sad, hope he can work through his demons.

1723640249635.png

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The risks are well-chronicled - time spent in the player assistance program and just one season in which he's played 82 games (2018-19). Coupled with the fact that he hasn't been an NHL regular since his lone 50+ point season with the Capitals in 2019-20.

On the plus side, he is relatively young at 28 and seemed to rediscover a scoring touch while playing with some physicality with the Blues AHL affiliate in Springfield.

Is his talent worth someone giving him a PTO?
28 is not young. 25 and under is relatively young

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If you want a guy to give about 50% every night and float around the perimeter with no thought of back checking or even attempting to do anything defensively, he’s your guy

I liked Jake when he played here, he just had some very clear personal issues. My own speculation/belief is he didn't think his issues were issues and was pissed that Detroit made him go address them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad