OT: Football thread (2024 season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Jets looked bad but they also looked like they were just schooled by a better team that's infinitely more experienced playing together and better coached. Rodgers looked decent but nothing crazy but it's hard to tell if that's because he's no longer Rodgers or because the Niners are damn good on D. This was thorough ass whooping though, and it was close enough where you can't just write it off as a bad day at the office. The Jets are not on the level of the elite teams. Could still win some games though. But I'm not sure if the D is still the same.

Reactions: Chytilmania

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
@Boris Zubov and @SnowblindNYR you guys need to chill. Thanks.
If @SnowblindNYR didn't know I was not being serious, that's on me for not using emoji's. I know tone is difficult to interpret via type, but it was all meant in good fun. I'm pretty sure him & I have had a solid enough rapport over the years for a little ribbing. I know this place gets tense sometimes, but it wasn't my intention to come across as anything but sarcastic or wisecracking.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If @SnowblindNYR didn't know I was not being serious, that's on me for not using emoji's. I know tone is difficult to interpret via type, but it was all meant in good fun. I'm pretty sure him & I have had a solid enough rapport over the years for a little ribbing. I know this place gets tense sometimes, but it wasn't my intention to come across as anything but sarcastic or wisecracking.

Haha, no problem. I've had enough bipolar takes with the Rangers though, lol. I think it was deserved with the Giants after what Jones put us through.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Week 2 early lines as of 9/5

Giants +3 Commanders
Jets -4 Titans

Week 2 lines as of right now

Giants +2.5 Commanders
Jets -4 Titans

Maybe the crazy overreactions based on one game should go away considering the books completely disagree with them.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Hoping it was rust from zero starters playing in the preseason. We have a few easy (on paper) matchups coming up to get right.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Mason 28 rushes 147 yards
John Madden used to argue with Al Davis over what is the most important position. Madden said Oline and I agree. If you have a great Oline RBs become good. QBs become good. It all starts with being able to block.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
John Madden used to argue with Al Davis over what is the most important position. Madden said Oline and I agree. If you have a great Oline RBs become good. QBs become good. It all starts with being able to block.

I agree. SF's Oline dominated. Purdy was never touched. Mason looked shifty as hell, though, and evaded people all night. Reminded me a lot of Curtis Martin.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree. SF's Oline dominated. Purdy was never touched. Mason looked shifty as hell, though, and evaded people all night. Reminded me a lot of Curtis Martin.
People were surprised by Darnold but he had the Vikings Oline and WR on Sunday. Kirk Cousins on the other hand was expected to be great but was not on Sunday. He did not have the Vikings line anymore. The Falcons have a lot of talent but may not have the same kind of Oline yet. Kayvon Thibs (Giants) looked like a junior high school player against the Vikings Oline on Sunday. The 49ers win games in a lot of ways but the big one is they almost always win the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: will1066

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
People were surprised by Darnold but he had the Vikings Oline and WR on Sunday. Kirk Cousins on the other hand was expected to be great but was not on Sunday. He did not have the Vikings line anymore. The Falcons have a lot of talent but may not have the same kind of Oline yet. Kayvon Thibs (Giants) looked like a junior high school player against the Vikings Oline on Sunday. The 49ers win games in a lot of ways but the big one is they almost always win the line of scrimmage.

It's one game against what was one of the worst pass defenses in the league last year for Darnold.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Whomever had Jake Moody in fantasy ate well last night. 6 fgs god damn.

The jets out - touchdowned the 49ers 3-2 and still got blown out

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It's one game against what was one of the worst pass defenses in the league last year for Darnold.
I'm not saying Darnold is the next Joe Montanna. My point was more about the Minny Oline. You give almost any NFL QB that kind of time and you will usually pay the price. Kayvon talks and talks but he was invisible 95% of the game.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Rodgers hasn't played in 2 years. I'm ok with the offense being rusty. 49ers are still elite. Jets pausing wasnt great. I still think the jets will be ok but shouldn't be AFC east favorites yet.

I'm not saying Darnold is the next Joe Montanna. My point was more about the Minny Oline. You give almost any NFL QB that kind of time and you will usually pay the price. Kayvon talks and talks but he was invisible 95% of the game.
Yes look at Derek Carr. He is also trash with any pressure.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
It's hard to win games when the defense is out there for nearly twice as long as the offense for the game. The Niners offense just dominated, and the Jets defense clearly was not in sync yet. Considering he didn't play a full game in nearly two years, Rodgers didn't look bad. Had some good plays, but the OL didn't have a great game either. Hopefully they'll all get in sync for the Titans on Sunday.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I can not say about the DJ right now but in the past he has shown much better results when he had the time Darnold had on Sunday. DJ's lines have been some of the worst in the NFL for 5 years.

He's not the same player. Look at Big Blue Banter and how many wide open throws he missed. Maybe it's the injuries maybe it's confident but he went from average to horrendous.

Reactions: Bob Richards

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He's not the same player. Look at Big Blue Banter and how many wide open throws he missed. Maybe it's the injuries maybe it's confident but he went from average to horrendous.
That is possible. I hope he bounces back. Good respectful guy who works as hard as anyone. Makes me want to see him succeed.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That is possible. I hope he bounces back. Good respectful guy who works as hard as anyone. Makes me want to see him succeed.

The Seattle game last year is when I finally gave up on him. I'm done wanting him to succeed and just want him off this team. My friend met him and said he's a super humble nice guy. That said and I understand it's his agent he did this team ZERO favors in his contract negotiation.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

The giants o line played fine on Sunday. Probably their best performance in awhile.

Jones was awful. Maybe the worst game of his career. I think he’s dust.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The giants o line played fine on Sunday. Probably their best performance in awhile.

Jones was awful. Maybe the worst game of his career. I think he’s dust.
To be fair to him this is his first real game after a bad injury.

The Giants defense offered no resistance either so the loss isn’t totally on him.

Can only go up from here

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!

The Giants defense offered no resistance either so the loss isn’t totally on him.

Can only go up from here

But his faults are still there! The only thing he improved upon is holding onto the ball when he gets hit.

He still can't adjust his reads for shit, if he's locked onto a receiver...he's locked onto the receiver, for good or bad...mostly bad, he definitely can't sling it down the field like Simms or Eli could, Lord knows he doesn't know where the markers are.

The only thing he has going for him is that he's mobile, and after the injury, I wonder if he'll be AS mobile.

Reactions: ponzu4u

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Seattle game last year is when I finally gave up on him. I'm done wanting him to succeed and just want him off this team. My friend met him and said he's a super humble nice guy. That said and I understand it's his agent he did this team ZERO favors in his contract negotiation.
DJ had the 6th or 9th highest QBR in 2022. If he played like that again then that contract is actually a bargain compared to around 15 other QB contracts that have been signed. I will say this. The NFL has a real recency bias. DJ has had 5 or 6 bad games in his last 7. If he can play well in the next 2 games he will earn himself some breathing room. A few years ago people said Watson was a top 5 QB. Now? 2 years ago people bashed Dak. Now? Highest paid QB. A year ago Baker was going to his 4th team in a year. Now? Turned his career around. If this is it for DJ then I will wish him well but as I said before I will root for him because I always root for the good guys. :)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Can only go up from here

The defense wasn't great but they still allowed 21 points. Comparing a below average defensive performance to one of the worst performances you've ever seen Daniel Jones is an insult.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponzu4u

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The defense wasn't great but they still allowed 21 points. Comparing a below average defensive performance to one of the worst performances you'll ever seen Daniel Jones is an insult.
I have seen way worse by DJ, Eli and Simms. Way worse. Like not even close. Eli threw 3 pick 6's (4 ints) in 1 game vs the Vikes. I think he had two other 5 int games. In the 1970's we had a full season that we averaged around 9 points a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad