PTO: [WSH] F Jakub Vrana + 18 others sign PTO with the Capitals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You guys are making strawman arguments and taking the comments I am making way too sensitively because you are a fan of the Capitals.

There is nothing wrong with the culture, playing style, or attitudes of the Capitals the last 10-15 years.

Just stating that we've seen some of their group wear it moreso than we've seen on other teams. It's just like how people that work in the restaurant industry and are constantly around partying tend to have issues as well.

Just an observation that for some reason you and the other poster are turning into some attack on the sancitity of the Captials.
I’m not taking anything too sensitively, I normally find your posts to be reasonable and well-informed. I just don’t agree with you on this one, and it’s not because you’re a dirty rotten Penguins fan taking a dump on my beloved Caps. All good tho, I have nothing left to contribute to this topic.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Didn’t see this coming. Tbh probably the best possible situation for him. Seemed like he was really gutted to leave the team in the first place, hopefully having a familiar support system around him helps him get his act together.

I have to assume the Caps FO did their due diligence before making the decision to bring him back, which suggests to me that he’s shown contrition/taken accountability for his past missteps. Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding. Would be a great story if he had a career resurgence in DC.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Huh. Interesting that it's the Caps that offered him a PTO, or that he chose to sign one with. There's history there, and i would've thought that for a player with his baggage, more of a "fresh start" would've been preferrable. Even though there's obviously been plenty of organizational turnover with Washington since his tenure there.

Such a waste of talent player though. He's got the tools and natural scoring instincts that so many others would kill for - and just doesn't seem at all inclined to put in the work to play a complete game, or even focus properly on playing the game as a proper professional, period. :shakehead

He's burned through a lot of chances already. Curious if he can do enough on a PTO to earn one more.

Reactions: wetcoast

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Clearly back to par-tay par-tay.
Yes. Kuzy's gone so they needed to make sure they had somebody on the roster with the connections so they could keep up that partying lifestyle :laugh:

I’m not taking anything too sensitively, I normally find your posts to be reasonable and well-informed. I just don’t agree with you on this one, and it’s not because you’re a dirty rotten Penguins fan taking a dump on my beloved Caps. All good tho, I have nothing left to contribute to this topic.
Me too - which is why I suggested Gurglesons might be getting bored with the offseason

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Seems like a culture fit player that the Oilers would target if they let Holloway go

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Anyway, this move seems kind of desperate. For a player who hasn't topped 26 games in the past 3 seasons and even within those games has seen his minutes and productivity drop, it's hard to imagine this turning into a regular contributor. That would be quite the about-face relative to the trend.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You're making a strawman argument.

I'm done because you aren't willing to have a realistic conversation with nuance about the situation and painting me as someone who is acting like Ovie is doing rails with Kuzy and Vrana on the daily.

I'm not ignoring anything or insinuating anything and you are just arguing to argue.

Never said Washington's culture was poor. They just had the vibes of being a high flying, partying, anything goes group.

Nothing wrong with it. Just rough to see the repercussions on two of the players and allegedly Connolly too.
My point is that those are your perceived vibes. Not actual vibes. Trying to make those into fact doesn’t carry real value. It’s fair to raise an eyebrow, but it’s something else to make it sound like fact.

Not something I particularly care too much about, I just see a lot of talk amongst fans about this and it’s an interesting topic. Kuzy using coke at parties is a Kuzy thing not a Caps thing, and Jake’s situation always came off as a Jake thing not something the group taught him. People want to clown a team for whatever reason they have so they create a one plus one situation that has no evidence. Tampa Bay guys were hammered floating around in boats, it’s lucky none of them weren’t killed falling in the water or drunk crashing into something but no one says they have issues despite them being a shit show.

They’re young guys and many of them party like there’s no tomorrow, especially when they win.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Anyway, this move seems kind of desperate. For a player who hasn't topped 26 games in the past 3 seasons and even within those games has seen his minutes and productivity drop, it's hard to imagine this turning into a regular contributor. That would be quite the about-face relative to the trend.

Don't see what's desperate about a PTO. If there's anything worth it, you sign him. If not you don't.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Vrana was a quick flash in the pan in Detroit, was barely in Michigan long enough to get a mailing address. Wish he worked out, but can't really hate a player who is struggling off the ice with personal issues. Hope he makes it back to the NHL and finds home.

Always have a soft spot for a comeback story. We will see.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Maybe desperate is the wrong word.

Unlikely to result in a productive player is perhaps a better way of saying it.
I tend to agree that it's probably a long shot, but it's also interesting to note that since he left the Caps he's played 83 games and scored 34 goals.

Sure it's over 4 seasons but it shows that when he does play he still has that scoring touch. I think it's a low risk move and I liked him as a Cap so I'm hoping he does well.

Reactions: LuGBuG

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Still angry with him for causing us to endure mantha. :sarcasm:. Be real interesting if he’s got anything to give. If he hasn’t cleaned up his personal life this is a waste of time for everyone involved. Sucks because he could really fly. I do remember that he disappears in the playoffs outside a nice rebound against Pitt and a breakaway against Vegas

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Maybe desperate is the wrong word.

Unlikely to result in a productive player is perhaps a better way of saying it.

Same can be said about roughly 90% of the non roster players you bring to camp. Teams bring about 60-70 players to camp, it's the time of the year to try those long shots.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Still angry with him for causing us to endure mantha. :sarcasm:. Be real interesting if he’s got anything to give. If he hasn’t cleaned up his personal life this is a waste of time for everyone involved. Sucks because he could really fly. I do remember that he disappears in the playoffs outside a nice rebound against Pitt and a breakaway against Vegas

Agreed. He's a talented player but clearly has personal issues that keep him from reaching his potential.

As a Wings fan, sorry about Mantha but I was glad to see him go. So much talent and so little desire to use it. He's such a frustrating player to watch.

Reactions: Caps8112

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Anyway, this move seems kind of desperate.
For the team or player, it's only a PTO

For a player who hasn't topped 26 games in the past 3 seasons and even within those games has seen his minutes and productivity drop, it's hard to imagine this turning into a regular contributor. That would be quite the about-face relative to the trend.
Exactly this is the outcome of most PTO's they don't make it.

Reactions: Marshall

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Has speed, great shot, good hands, no effort.

If the guy put in even 90% every game he could be similar to a Mike Hoffman. But I just don't see that happening unfortunately.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Has speed, great shot, good hands, no effort.

If the guy put in even 90% every game he could be similar to a Mike Hoffman. But I just don't see that happening unfortunately.
Mike Hoffman does not even have a PTO….. The Hoffman and his girlfriend were hoping to catch on with Pittsburgh.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Mike Hoffman does not even have a PTO….. The Hoffman and his girlfriend were hoping to catch on with Pittsburgh.
Cool, thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what this has to do with my post. Like if I compared him to Dany Heatley, would you let us know that Dany doesn't even play pro hockey anymore and that he's a scout for the Flyers?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Cool, thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what this has to do with my post. Like if I compared him to Dany Heatley, would you let us know that Dany doesn't even play pro hockey anymore and that he's a scout for the Flyers?
I'll reply to this one cause it made me laugh.

Some of the Czech posters described Vrana as a guy that looks pretty out there... skates beautiufll, everything is smooth and nothing happens.lol

I'm a huge Vrana fan and I think he scores gorgeous goals and is a very inventive and dynamic goal scorer. I am obviously not winning this argument after the last 2 seasons. I hope his demons are gone and he can seal a spot (for Caps or elsewhere in NHL as I imagine a few GMS are looking) and do something with it but I'm very skiptical. Czech National Team cut him too... Blue's didn't want him, Wing's didn't want him... I actually think the Caps didn't want him either.lol Leads me to think

1. headcase
2. million dollar body and 10 cent head
3. some sort of mental health/addiction issues that he cannot overcome
4. this is the year he scores 40 and he's got it altogether

Pandora's Box!

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Mike Hoffman in his prime was a 30 goal scorer. He hasn't sniffed that in ~4 years, and that was the only reason he was even in the league to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad