Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Safe to say Sanderson will be the best, and the only guy who will try to make the case for it is Stutzle, so eyyyyy.
I don't disagree.

I also don't see the point of making other guys sound worse or slagging them, to make that point.

That draft could be an all-timer.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If I recall, Anaheim wanted Sanderson. Ottawa had Sanderson at #4 on their board. Lots of armchair GMs laughed and said the Sens could have traded back and still gotten him (it never works that way, hence GMs almost never trading back that high).

There is usually a bias against late risers from fans. They get attached to names they have heard all year. With that said, Stutzle was a riser as well and didn't get the same level of scrutiny. Within the scouting community, Sanderson had put himself in the conversation in February of his draft year at the five nations tournament, but you have to keep in mind that even prior to that he wouldn't have been out of line in the 10-15 type range.

I'm not saying that there weren't people with an educated take who watched significant amounts of both Drysdale and Sanderson who preferred Drysdale, but most of the outcry was from people who simply became attached to one over the other because they were ranked higher for longer.

That was a strong draft at the time, but a few of the players from the top 10 are having growing pains.

Reactions: DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If I recall, Anaheim wanted Sanderson. Ottawa had Sanderson at #4 on their board. Lots of armchair GMs laughed and said the Sens could have traded back and still gotten him (it never works that way, hence GMs almost never trading back that high).

There is usually a bias against late risers from fans. They get attached to names they have heard all year. With that said, Stutzle was a riser as well and didn't get the same level of scrutiny. Within the scouting community, Sanderson had put himself in the conversation in February of his draft year at the five nations tournament, but you have to keep in mind that even prior to that he wouldn't have been out of line in the 10-15 type range.

I'm not saying that there weren't people with an educated take who watched significant amounts of both Drysdale and Sanderson who preferred Drysdale, but most of the outcry was from people who simply became attached to one over the other because they were ranked higher for longer.

That was a strong draft at the time, but a few of the players from the top 10 are having growing pains.
Yeah, most of us haven't scouted all the players, so at best we have the players we like, those we don't and the players we don't know. I knew nothing about Sanderson at the time. I just knew @BondraTime liked him a lot, and that's usually good enough for me!

Because that was an important draft for us, I paid more attention than usual to a few players, and for example I already knew that I liked Stutzle better than Byfield. I also really liked Rossi, Drysdale and Peterka. But that was about all I knew. And that's why I don't usually have super strong opinions about the draft, except of course in hindsight. :p

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I love Jake but can we say we have seen offensive pure skill with him? He is great in D (except for the last game) but offensively it's hard to project what he can offer in the future.

I think he has the ability to be a top offensive d-man but he uses a lot of mental bandwidth on D. Not easy to be full tilt both ways.

I also think he is naturally a risk averse player, likes playing perfect hockey. Lidstrom mindset is right.

But I'd love for him to start taking more risks, add a little Karlsson mindset. With his skating, hands, and IQ he could be even more of a gamebreaker.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not sure Sanderson can hit that ppg level. He just doesn’t have the hands.

But in the defensive side not much better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad