Value of: Jake Muzzin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
then dont trade for him easy as that. Muzzin is a top pairing defense man Your not getting one for nothing Your picks are late Muzzin is in his prime to settle for less . Your team would have him for 2 playoff runs.

Again look at what Karlsson and McDoughnah returned and adjust your expectations.

Or commit to not moving him, waste him while the team is a bottom feeder instead of getting a bunch of assets for him because you are holding out for a deal that never comes, and watch him either walk, or decline in value like many other older D have shown to do.

No one is giving huge assets for a guy due a big raise next deadline. This deadline is the best time to get proper value, and if you have to do that in draft picks then do it.

Swapping the deck chairs are not going to fix the kings. Doughty has been average, Quick can't stay healthy, and Kopitar has regressed and Carter will retire instead of being moved.

They need a proper rebuild to stock the cupboard again. They have the assets to keep Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick during this for their experience and leadership and help shelter the new kids. But if they can move a lot of the other members of the team for first round picks and draft well in 3 or 4 years suddenly they are one of the youngest teams in the league with a very bright future.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Muzzin is not a top pairing defenseman unless your defense is not good. He is a pretty solid 2nd pairing guy. Playing well this year but prone to some serious gaffes on the ice.
Muzzin is a top pairing defense man on alot of teams He has playoff experience which a team like the leafs need. Tell me a defense man on any team that doesn't have serious gaffes from time to time. Seriously for a kings fan ur very critical on ur own players

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Muzzin has been the best defenseman in LA this season. His play hasn’t slipped at all in fact this is one of his better seasons.
Muzzin has not been LA's best defenseman this season. Even Doughty playing some of the worst hockey of his career is better than Muzzin at his best. Don't overlook that Doughty plays many more minutes, in more situations and against the absolute best quality of competition.

Seriously for a kings fan ur very critical on ur own players
That's just how objectivity looks to fans who have trouble with it when it comes to their own players.

Last edited:

member 88115

Muzzin just needs to NOT play with Martinez. He has 8 points in the last 9 games. And that is with out his goal disallowed last night because of the offside. He is doing really good the last couple of games, but when paired with Martinez, he can look pretty Meh...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Muzzin just needs to NOT play with Martinez. He has 8 points in the last 9 games. And that is with out his goal disallowed last night because of the offside. He is doing really good the last couple of games, but when paired with Martinez, he can look pretty Meh...

it's funny cause same goes for Martinez. He looks alot better without Muzzin. That pair has never worked despite both being good D.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
So the conclusion is that BOTH Muzzin and Martinez should be traded, just to different teams.

We should be moving stuff at the deadline, and I think eventually Blake will realize that and it will happen. Too bad our anchor contracts like Kovy and Brown and Phanuef likely cant be moved.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
So the conclusion is that BOTH Muzzin and Martinez should be traded, just to different teams.

We should be moving stuff at the deadline, and I think eventually Blake will realize that and it will happen. Too bad our anchor contracts like Kovy and Brown and Phanuef likely cant be moved.

I wouldn't call Brown an anchor. He has regained his scoring touch, is physical, and is a true leader. Kovy isn't an anchor either. The guy can score. We just don't need his services since we are going into a rebuild. We do need Brown's leadership as the team incorporates younger players. I wouldn't trade Brown even if another team was willing to acquire him.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
this is a guy the leafs might legit be interested in. A guy who can be legit used against top competition and can move the puck. A 1st+prospect makes sense for a guy like this who as usually been a solid #2/3 type dman.

The question for me though is - has muzzin slipped at all? lost a step?

Not at all. Best defenseman for LA all year. He should the Kings All-star selection this season. Early favorite for MVP of the team. Dude has been lights out this year.

Personally, I don't want to trade him at all. He should anchor the Kings 2nd pairing for the next couple of years. But if a great deal comes along then I'd have to move him with the way the Kings are heading.

Reactions: go4hockey

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Trading Muzzin would have to start with a 1st and a nhl ready scoring winger or right handed puck moving defense man. He has been playing well this year and last couple weeks probably as good as drew. I don't really want to trade him but for the right offer i would.

1st and Scherb... oh wait

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
From the Jets what about including Kulikov in the deal. He's under contract one more season and can fill in since it sounds like you don't have someone ready. Their contract situation is essentially identical except Muzzin as at $4 and Kulikov is at $4.3

1st + Kulikov

Any interest? Would it take more?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
From the Jets what about including Kulikov in the deal. He's under contract one more season and can fill in since it sounds like you don't have someone ready. Their contract situation is essentially identical except Muzzin as at $4 and Kulikov is at $4.3

1st + Kulikov

It would probably need to include a prospect as well, Kulikov doesn’t really add any value. That would be purely a cap offset to benefit the Jets.

But it’s not a bad offer, and I could see it happening, even if I think the value tips towards Winnipeg.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Brown's contract is not an anchor if he keep playing like he is

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

1st + Kulikov

need to add a significant prospect IMO

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Muzzin has not been LA's best defenseman this season. Even Doughty playing some of the worst hockey of his career is better than Muzzin at his best. Don't overlook that Doughty plays many more minutes, in more situations and against the absolute best quality of competition.

That's just how objectivity looks to fans who aren't capable of it when it comes to their own players.

You have not watched the Kings often then. Doughty started off bad but is back to being Drew. Muzzin has been solid all season.

Last edited:

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
From Edm
2019 2cd
Yamamoto (was a 2017 1st)
A lot of Edm fans won’t like Yamo being dealt. But D is so needed right now.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Petan/Lemieux are waiver wire next year, more projects with low potential and Stanley isn’t exactly a notable prospect outside of being 6’7 and drafted in the 1st round. Then you’ve got a late 1st. Seems like a proposal LA is unlikely to value highly.

Lemieux and Petan would play on most NHL rosters now and would be playing everyday if the Jets weren’t so deep on the wings. Stanley is developing well, he had a stigma around him when drafted that he was too slow and can’t skate, he is slowly starting to shake that stigma off. Gathering some points, adapted well to the extra minutes, scored some points and was a + player when Niku, Nogier and Schilling were up with the club. I have watched him play at least a dozen times in junior and trust me, he skates well, is fast, sees the ice well and has a great first pass. I hate the thought of giving up Stanley because I know what he could turn into but to get Muzzin for 2 cup runs is too much to turn down

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Vesalainen, Kulikov (if you want him), 2019 2nd and a conditional pick in 2021 (1st if Jets re-sign Muzzin, 2nd if they don't).

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Jake Muzzin
For
Andreas Johnsson, Calle Rosen & 2nd
Or
Connor Brown, Jeremy Bracco, 2nd?

2nd becomes 1st if he re-signs

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
You aren't getting an A prospect on top of a 1st rounder for Jake Muzzin, IMO. Maybe a 2nd rounder can replace one of Stanley or Petan/Lemieux if LA values that higher. What would TOR give up for him?
Then move along.You got to give to get for a top 4 defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad