Value of: Jake Guentzel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can't be serious thinking a guy with 1 year left is getting much more than a late 1st....

Ben Bloody Chiarot fetched a late 1st. Guentzel would have a hell of a lot of interest if he was available.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Bertuzzi returned a 1st and 4th. Guentzel would definitely return a 1st + good prospect/2nd
Every single year the market is different. You're probably right, the value would be there in a vaccuum. But look at how many teams moved 1st round picks this year. At the end of this only one gets the payoff. How many GMs have the stones to do it again next year? Each year you have GMs contending, under the gun, on the hot seat, or blowing it up and rebuilding. Just because a market was crazy this year means nothing. It could be dead next year and you don't get anything close to what you expect.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Every single year the market is different. You're probably right, the value would be there in a vaccuum. But look at how many teams moved 1st round picks this year. At the end of this only one gets the payoff. How many GMs have the stones to do it again next year? Each year you have GMs contending, under the gun, on the hot seat, or blowing it up and rebuilding. Just because a market was crazy this year means nothing. It could be dead next year and you don't get anything close to what you expect.

What market do you see where a player like Guentzel doesn't get a 1st +?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who on the Penguins is going to score goals against the Rangers if they trade Guenztel?

Any team looking for a complementary winger to play with their stars should be interested in him.

Yeah. Guentzel is a bit of an oddball player to me, in that he's a kind of oxymoron "Elite Complementary Winger". Which sounds like a sleight, denigrating his ability...but it's really not. Some players just have that skillset that meshes so perfectly with star players. You want those guys. Oftentimes you try to put multiple star players together and it's like getting too many of the same pole magnet together and just doesn't work. But guys like Guentzel just fit like a glove.

That's why i don't really see how the Penguins make themselves better by dealing him. Where else are you going to find a 40G, ppg player for that money? Guentzel is the last piece of that Penguins supporting cast that needs replacement. It's all of the Rakell/Zucker/Granlund/Rust types that they need to unload and reconfigure. The very non-elite complementary wingers who are mostly just taking up space.

I guess that's complicated by the fact most of those guys are extremely difficult to move (save for Zucker where they can obviously just walk away as a UFA). Rust also has some utility down the lineup that probably makes him worth keeping. But Guentzel might be the one piece out of the mix that could actually fetch a significant positive return to change up the look of the team. But it just doesn't seem worth it to me. You've found a perfect complement to either of Crosby/Malkin to the tune of 40G for $6M. If he walks at the end...so be it. I think the Penguins are pretty deep down the path to trying to make this work for the gang's last few competitive years and you're just not going to do better than Guentzel with what you can get.

If they were to move him though...he'd be a smart top target for a lot of teams looking for that missing piece to support their star forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah. Guentzel is a bit of an oddball player to me, in that he's a kind of oxymoron "Elite Complementary Winger". Which sounds like a sleight, denigrating his ability...but it's really not. Some players just have that skillset that meshes so perfectly with star players. You want those guys. Oftentimes you try to put multiple star players together and it's like getting too many of the same pole magnet together and just doesn't work. But guys like Guentzel just fit like a glove.

That's why i don't really see how the Penguins make themselves better by dealing him. Where else are you going to find a 40G, ppg player for that money? Guentzel is the last piece of that Penguins supporting cast that needs replacement. It's all of the Rakell/Zucker/Granlund/Rust types that they need to unload and reconfigure. The very non-elite complementary wingers who are mostly just taking up space.

I guess that's complicated by the fact most of those guys are extremely difficult to move (save for Zucker where they can obviously just walk away as a UFA). Rust also has some utility down the lineup that probably makes him worth keeping. But Guentzel might be the one piece out of the mix that could actually fetch a significant positive return to change up the look of the team. But it just doesn't seem worth it to me. You've found a perfect complement to either of Crosby/Malkin to the tune of 40G for $6M. If he walks at the end...so be it. I think the Penguins are pretty deep down the path to trying to make this work for the gang's last few competitive years and you're just not going to do better than Guentzel with what you can get.

If they were to move him though...he'd be a smart top target for a lot of teams looking for that missing piece to support their star forward.

Guentzel is carrying Sid and Malkin a lot more than the other way around these days.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Guentzel is carrying Sid and Malkin a lot more than the other way around these days.

Ehhh...i disagree. I think Sid and Geno are clearly still the core dynamos. They rely on a guy like Guentzel to support them a lot more than ever before though.

Which is why it makes even less sense to me, to consider moving him. Guentzel is the juice that allows guys like Crosby and Malkin to continue to be top flight offensive creators as they slow down significantly. He's the guy that picks up the slack. He's not running point on the offensive creation. He's creating the opportunities for those older dudes to continue running show. But that's pretty darn necessary at this stage of the dynamic duo's careers.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Realistically, what teams would even be making offers?

Boston - something around DeBrusk / Grzelcuk / Swayman plus
Buffalo - don't need wingers
Detroit - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Florida - cap is tight + need to spend any hypothetical cap space on D
Montreal - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Ottawa - not a playoff team and don't need wingers
Tampa Bay - probably won't have the cap space
Toronto - cap is tight + better to sign a UFA than spend assets

Carolina - don't need wingers badly + could extend Stastny / Pacioretty
Columbus - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
New Jersey - don't need scoring wingers unless Meier / Bratt traded
NY Islanders - cap is tight but Josh Bailey plus could work maybe
NY Rangers - cap is tight + better to extend Tarasenko/Kane for zero assets
Philadelphia - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Washington - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals

Arizona - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Chicago - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Colorado - need scoring C, have enough scoring W
Dallas - probably more interested in upgrading RHD than RW
Minnesota - cap is tight, RHD and C might be bigger priority (?)
Nashville - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
St Louis - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Winnipeg - not a contender + starting a rebuild soon

Anaheim - not a playoff team. Gibson for Guentzel? I doubt it.
Calgary - not a contender + starting a rebuild soon
Edmonton - extreme cap crunch. Retention or Campbell to PIT or no deal.
Los Angeles - don't need to add a winger. Iafallo plus for Guentzel?
San Jose - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Seattle - don't need wingers, least important position to upgrade
Vancouver - not a playoff team. Garland/Boeser plus for Guentzel?
Vegas - cap is tight. Martinez plus for Guentzel + Joseph/Smith? No?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Realistically, what teams would even be making offers?

Boston - something around DeBrusk / Grzelcuk / Swayman plus
Buffalo - don't need wingers
Detroit - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Florida - cap is tight + need to spend any hypothetical cap space on D
Montreal - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Ottawa - not a playoff team and don't need wingers
Tampa Bay - probably won't have the cap space
Toronto - cap is tight + better to sign a UFA than spend assets

Carolina - don't need wingers badly + could extend Stastny / Pacioretty
Columbus - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
New Jersey - don't need scoring wingers unless Meier / Bratt traded
NY Islanders - cap is tight but Josh Bailey plus could work maybe
NY Rangers - cap is tight + better to extend Tarasenko/Kane for zero assets
Philadelphia - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Washington - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals

Arizona - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Chicago - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Colorado - need scoring C, have enough scoring W
Dallas - probably more interested in upgrading RHD than RW
Minnesota - cap is tight, RHD and C might be bigger priority (?)
Nashville - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
St Louis - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Winnipeg - not a contender + starting a rebuild soon

Anaheim - not a playoff team. Gibson for Guentzel? I doubt it.
Calgary - not a contender + starting a rebuild soon
Edmonton - extreme cap crunch. Retention or Campbell to PIT or no deal.
Los Angeles - don't need to add a winger. Iafallo plus for Guentzel?
San Jose - not in a position to spend assets for 1 year rentals
Seattle - don't need wingers, least important position to upgrade
Vancouver - not a playoff team. Garland/Boeser plus for Guentzel?
Vegas - cap is tight. Martinez plus for Guentzel + Joseph/Smith? No?

Any team is adding a player of Guentzel’s caliber that has cup aspirations.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Why, weird answer to the question lol.
Because I am sick of Jock sniffers who think they are budding GM's making Ridiculous trades threads if John Gibson was from East of West Bumf*** Alberta would Pens fans want to trade for him with his stats lately ?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Because I am sick of Jock sniffers who think they are budding GM's making Ridiculous trades threads if John Gibson was from East of West Bumf*** Alberta would Pens fans want to trade for him with his stats lately ?
No ridiculous trade thread, it was a question, what would he be worth. Seems like you got a little excited about nothing.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad