Value of: Jake Guentzel as a rental

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
1st round pick and a solid prospect seems like quite the plus considering Guentzel is pending UFA...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I assume part of that offsets Marchment's contract.

Plus Guentzel if traded is potentially the best UFA we've seen traded since when? Hossa?

Is Marchment’s contract a problem? He has 8 goals and 17 points in 24 games and is a +7. He’s huge and a great teammate and a vital part of the middle six that makes Dallas such a deep and hard to defend team.

$4.5 million through his prime years (but not past them) seems pretty fine to the Stars. They are not gonna look to “offset” his contract in any way shape or form.

Reactions: Johno

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is Marchment’s contract a problem? He has 8 goals and 17 points in 24 games and is a +7. He’s huge and a great teammate and a vital part of the middle six that makes Dallas such a deep and hard to defend team.

$4.5 million through his prime years seems pretty fine to the Stars. They are not gonna look to “offset” his contract in any way shape or form.

It was rumored that it was something they explored this summer.

That line is playing really well, but I wonder if they'd do it for a proven playoff player like Jake.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Bit steep for at best a lateral upgrade, at worst clearing a mid term contract. Probably not a deal to be made here for this right now.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
It was rumored that it was something they explored this summer.

That line is playing really well, but I wonder if they'd do it for a proven playoff player like Jake.
They explored it in the summer after he had a really bad year, he is no longer having a bad year so why trade him. Not to mention adding a first, and the joint top ahl scorer who is 21. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have Guentzel on the team, but Marchment is playing well and the Stars are going to need Bourque and Stankoven moving forward due to them being cheap contracts

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
They explored it in the summer after he had a really bad year, he is no longer having a bad year so why trade him. Not to mention adding a first, and the joint top ahl scorer who is 21. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have Guentzel on the team, but Marchment is playing well and the Stars are going to need Bourque and Stankoven moving forward due to them being cheap contracts

Fair take. Not sure who else PIT would accept as the cap dump back though..

I guess they could take Suter back and buy him out.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think me and Gurgs have tossed this out a few times before on various boards. The idea of including Marchment was also to off-set salaries. I think the Penguins could obviously retain up to 50% but Dallas would have to send salary back as well. Given the roster, Marchment seemed to make the most sense. Another possible candidate would be Dadonov. I would say Jake's value at the TDL is easily 1st+quality prospect. The addition of a roster player is to help facilitate the cap.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The Stars refused to move Bourque last year for a rental at the deadline and he's taken a further step upward in his trajectory this year so even less chance now.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Yes, and that makes it even more head-scratching.

How? Guentzel gets top minutes at ES & PP playing with an all world playmaker (even if he is 36) and scores at that rate. He wouldn't get that here in Dallas. Marchment plays with pretty good linemates against middle 6 defenses and will at least punch some dudes if he has to.

Guentzel's not going to usurp any of the top 6 wingers this year in Dallas. So at best they trade a guy who makes 4.5m to play middle 6 minutes for a guy who makes 6m more to play middle six minutes and is gone in the offseason because they can't afford to entertain a long term contract. Sure, in a vacuum Guentzel is better but he's not going to get unfettered minutes in Dallas and we don't have Crosby or Malkin to staple him to.

So at best, lateral for usage. They could clear the contract but there's plenty of UFAs to let walk over the summer.

The rental market for Guentzel will be decided by who is the least healthy on the wing at the deadline. And I highly doubt Dallas is in the market for yet ANOTHER scoring forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
How? Guentzel gets top minutes at ES & PP playing with an all world playmaker (even if he is 36) and scores at that rate. He wouldn't get that here in Dallas. Marchment plays with pretty good linemates against middle 6 defenses and will at least punch some dudes if he has to.

Guentzel's not going to usurp any of the top 6 wingers this year in Dallas. So at best they trade a guy who makes 4.5m to play middle 6 minutes for a guy who makes 6m more to play middle six minutes and is gone in the offseason because they can't afford to entertain a long term contract. Sure, in a vacuum Guentzel is better but he's not going to get unfettered minutes in Dallas and we don't have Crosby or Malkin to staple him to.

So at best, lateral for usage. They could clear the contract but there's plenty of UFAs to let walk over the summer.

The rental market for Guentzel will be decided by who is the least healthy on the wing at the deadline. And I highly doubt Dallas is in the market for yet ANOTHER scoring forward.

The rental market for Guentzel will be decided by who believes they are a contender if he is available because we haven’t seen a talent at his level moved at the deadline since Hossa.

Adding Guentzel to their top six gives Dallas the best forward depth in the league.

Ledge And Dairy

I assume part of that offsets Marchment's contract.

Plus Guentzel if traded is potentially the best UFA we've seen traded since when? Hossa?
Giroux was literally moved 2 years ago. Kane and Horvat last year. Jones was traded recently too. Huberdeau was in the last yeat of his deal. Taylor Hall in 2019. EK65 was a pending UFA when he was traded to the sharks, Evander Kane too. Stone and Pacioretty. Guentzel is definitely a good player but Hossa is in a league of his own

As for the proposal, I think it is relatively fair but Dallas really doesn't need wingers that are about to get huge 9M+ contracts. They need to address their defense soon. Especially with Stankoven in the waiting. Plus I think Duchene and Pavelski (if he doesn't retire) could be ve brought back for less than Guentzel combined.

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Seems steep. If the Pens move him, and I'm not sure they won't re-sign him instead, it'll probably be for the standard first rounder and a B prospect return, sending Guentzel to a team that doesn't have acute cap issues. Marchment is a good player signed at a good cap hit for what he does, to nice term, and he is having a good year.

His resurgence probably makes this offseason idea to find a Dallas cap dump less tenable now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Giroux was literally moved 2 years ago. Kane and Horvat last year. Jones was traded recently too. Huberdeau was in the last yeat of his deal. Taylor Hall in 2019. EK65 was a pending UFA when he was traded to the sharks, Evander Kane too. Stone and Pacioretty. Guentzel is definitely a good player but Hossa is in a league of his own

As for the proposal, I think it is relatively fair but Dallas really doesn't need wingers that are about to get huge 9M+ contracts. They need to address their defense soon. Especially with Stankoven in the waiting. Plus I think Duchene and Pavelski (if he doesn't retire) could be ve brought back for less than Guentzel combined.

Sorry, I mean as a deadline deal.

All of those players are good, but Guentzel is leading the NHL in 5v5 scoring and over a PPG.

I guess Horvat is fair given what he was doing that year, but to be honest, I don't think it's super comparable.

Ledge And Dairy

Sorry, I mean as a deadline deal.

All of those players are good, but Guentzel is leading the NHL in 5v5 scoring and over a PPG.

I guess Horvat is fair given what he was doing that year, but to be honest, I don't think it's super comparable.
Hall was a deadline deal and he was a year and a half removed from winning the Hart trophy (the year in between he got hurt 33 games in)

Also MacKinnon leads the league in 5v5 scoring.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Hall was a deadline deal and he was a year and a half removed from winning the Hart trophy (the year in between he got hurt 33 games in)

Also MacKinnon leads the league in 5v5 scoring.

Hall had 6 goals and 25 pts in 30 games when he was moved.

Jake also has produced identical to McDavid in the playoffs in terms of goal per game since coming into the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad