Rumor: Jake Gardiner's name 'in play'

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
honestly I feel phaneuf is carrying gardiner.. just like hunwick early in the season... franson... gunnarsson...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
honestly I feel phaneuf is carrying gardiner.. just like hunwick early in the season... franson... gunnarsson...

Someone who has better access to stats right now (I'm at work) should show you the shots against while Phaneuf is on the ice with and without Gardiner.

Spoiler Alert: Much less shots are put on our net when Gardiner has been paired with Phaneuf.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
"In play" doesn't really mean anything. Every player is in play at the right price.

If Gardiner is traded, he would be the best of a list of extended Phaneuf defense partners to get the boot from the organization after given 1st pairing minutes with Phaneuf: Gunnarsson, Aulie, Holzer, Schenn, Kostka, probably more.

The only logic to me in cutting bait on Gardiner is either that there's a substantial return and/or Babcock has concluded that Gardiner is a fixed asset that isn't getting any better. None of us work everyday with the players like Babcock does. We don't know what his relationship with Gardiner is as Babcock tends to keep his opinions on the players mostly private. We do know that Gardiner frustrated both Carlyle and Wilson at times, it could be happening with Babcock as well.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
"In PLay" is not the same as "actively shopped"

there's no need to split hairs :shakehead

if he's "in play" it means LL has let it be known they'd be willing to deal him , there's no sense of putting him in play if you don't actively shop him since there's no benefit for keeping your desire to possible trade him to yourself

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

from about a week ago I believe

'15-16 stats:

Gardiner 5v5 Corsi %: 53.8%
Gardiner with Phaneuf: 54.1%
Gardiner w/o Phaneuf: 53.1%
Phaneuf w/o Gardiner: 44.7%

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not one to disregard others subjective opinion, but I rarely find myself having informed discussions with his detractors. If all you understand of defensive work is being tough in the corners, playing physical and not making mistakes, you are not likely to appreciate him.

As an example, how often do you see people complain about D-men and their lack of physicality? Very often. And it's an element that isn't necessarily needed to be effective. On the other hand, how often do you see people complain about D-men unable to maintain gap control and stick positioning? Hardly ever, and it's vital to playing defense.

You know, I thought you did such a great job a while back explaining why Gardner is substantially better than a bag of pucks but it looks like in some ways, you're back to square one. Good luck!

from about a week ago I believe

'15-16 stats:

Gardiner 5v5 Corsi %: 53.8%
Gardiner with Phaneuf: 54.1%
Gardiner w/o Phaneuf: 53.1%
Phaneuf w/o Gardiner: 44.7%

So you're saying Phaneuf is carrying Gardner. ;)

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He's broken trades before. I think he relatively reliable.

I hope he isn't traded, unless the return is great, but I doubt this because its Lou.

But nobody has had any info on the Leafs this year (thanks to Lou). It also doesn't seem like a smart move for us to be shopping a 25 year old defenseman who is on a very good value contract long term and one that Babcock seems to like

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
"In play" means available for right price. Maybe a bit more than "listening on" but not close to "Shopping" or "dangling"

In play actually means what I said. Game on, serious business. Hence play. In action.

Shopping means looking for someone or a fit. Browsing around.

Sorry but you're wrong.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The best course of action would be to move Gardiner. The end. Value is at his highest, not a fan of the long term contract.

Don't hate, that's what I think is best for the team going forward.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
2 cents

Lou is notorious for being very quiet about the players hes moving, and rumors have it he has either nixed, killed or stopped deals when he thinks that the other team is leaking information.

So I dont really believe anything is coming from the Leafs camp. Maybe a rival GM saying "I talked to Lou about Gardiner" which is very different than "Lou called me about Gardiner". Obviously pure speculation

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
"In play" doesn't really mean anything. Every player is in play at the right price.

If Gardiner is traded, he would be the best of a list of extended Phaneuf defense partners to get the boot from the organization after given 1st pairing minutes with Phaneuf: Gunnarsson, Aulie, Holzer, Schenn, Kostka, probably more.

The only logic to me in cutting bait on Gardiner is either that there's a substantial return and/or Babcock has concluded that Gardiner is a fixed asset that isn't getting any better. None of us work everyday with the players like Babcock does. We don't know what his relationship with Gardiner is as Babcock tends to keep his opinions on the players mostly private. We do know that Gardiner frustrated both Carlyle and Wilson at times, it could be happening with Babcock as well.

And I think that's something that has to be understood clearly for any player on this Toronto Maple Leafs club.

I hear the name Jake Gardiner and I'm immediately drawn back to the Boston first round series where he was at times, the best player on both clubs.

I certainly want what's best for the club. I shudder to think, moreso than Stralman or any other D piece we've had "in play", that Gardiner's true value will be measured by his playoffs worth, not unlike a Claude Lemieux who was an average player at best during the regular season...But come playoff time - gold. And in that respect, we've never had that sort of environment to perhaps truly assess Gardiner's long-term value. More's the pity.

The bolded says it all however. If either is "in play" Gardiner is gone.

P.S. Doesn't "in play" simply mean that conversations are presently ongoing about Jake Gardiner , irrespective of the party who initiated it, and that until a trade has been finalized, nothing has been finalized?

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
Lou is notorious for being very quiet about the players hes moving, and rumors have it he has either nixed, killed or stopped deals when he thinks that the other team is leaking information.

So I dont really believe anything is coming from the Leafs camp. Maybe a rival GM saying "I talked to Lou about Gardiner" which is very different than "Lou called me about Gardiner". Obviously pure speculation

And what a comfort that is.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And I think that's something that has to be understood clearly for any player on this Toronto Maple Leafs club.

I hear the name Jake Gardiner and I'm immediately drawn back to the Boston first round series where he was at times, the best player on both clubs.

I certainly want what's best for the club. I shudder to think, moreso than Stralman or any other D piece we've had "in play", that Gardiner's true value will be measured by his playoffs worth, not unlike a Claude Lemieux who was an average player at best during the regular season...But come playoff time - gold. And in that respect, we've never had that sort of environment to perhaps truly assess Gardiner's long-term value. More's the pity.

The bolded says it all however. If either is "in play" Gardiner is gone.

P.S. Doesn't "in play" simply mean that conversations are presently ongoing about Jake Gardiner , irrespective of the party who initiated it, and that until a trade has been finalized, nothing has been finalized?

To the last point, yes. It's just like in reference to anything. Play your hand, The game is in play etc. results not yet known but 1 or more parties are in competition for, in this case Jake Gardiner.

So it's serious not just poking around.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
To the last point, yes. It's just like in reference to anything. Play your hand, The game is in play etc. results not yet known but 1 or more parties are in competition for, in this case Jake Gardiner.

So it's serious not just poking around.

Precisely. So either the rumour is true or it's not and if it is, there's an exchange going on between two parties. Otherwise, Lou is playing..<ahem>...within the organization, lol.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Precisely. So either the rumour is true or it's not and if it is, there's an exchange going on between two parties. Otherwise, Lou is playing..<ahem>...within the organization, lol.

If I had to guess at who it could be. I would say NYI and Hamonic. My reasons.

If its a family members Health, we have the best Hospitals and Doctors. If it requires an emergency flight, we can access private jets with ease. Nobody supports its players like Toronto.

Toronto is actually closer than many west coast team to the peg as well.

Whatever it is, outside the peg itself we can do it better and if its indeed a health issue, Toronto is option A.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
So Gardiner goes nowhere now if Lou hasn't changed. Personally it would have to be something huge coming back for me to like a Gardiner move.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think everyone on this team is in play if the price is right. Even Rielly. While Rielly is a great young defensive prospect, he's not the best defensive prospect in the league.

As for Gardiner, he'd bring back a small ransom. Wouldn't trade him for anything less than a high pick and a young player. If the pick is a lower pick (15 - 30) than the player would need to be better.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think everyone on this team is in play if the price is right. Even Rielly. While Rielly is a great young defensive prospect, he's not the best defensive prospect in the league.

As for Gardiner, he'd bring back a small ransom. Wouldn't trade him for anything less than a high pick and a young player. If the pick is a lower pick (15 - 30) than the player would need to be better.

Florida isn't offering Ekblad for Rielly so...pretty much isn't going anywhere.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If I had to guess at who it could be. I would say NYI and Hamonic. My reasons.

If its a family members Health, we have the best Hospitals and Doctors. If it requires an emergency flight, we can access private jets with ease. Nobody supports its players like Toronto.

Toronto is actually closer than many west coast team to the peg as well.

Whatever it is, outside the peg itself we can do it better and if its indeed a health issue, Toronto is option A.

If it is a health issue for a family member as most think, this would make some sense. The two biggest hospitals in Toronto, both within a 10 minute drive of the ACC, have multiple wards/floors named after either current or former Leaf owners.

Best Childrens Hospital and Cancer Center in Canada, are arguably in Toronto.

Issue is if the Peg is where they are and will stay, Toronto makes about as much sense as 10 other teams.

Why not just move Hamonic for Buff? +- on either side makes sense, if NYI are willing to pay Buff what he will want.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...jacob-trouba-free-agents-asking-term-million/ <-- Buff wants 55 over 8 years. = 6.875

Why not do a sign and trade? Buff signs with the Peg, and they retain him at 1 million over 8 years. He becomes a 5.875 million guy for NYI, and Hamonic becomes essentially a 4.857 cap hit guy for the Peg. Win-Win?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Gardiner obviously isn't untouchable, but it would be foolish to move him without getting a high end asset in return. I don't think he's going anywhere either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If it is a health issue for a family member as most think, this would make some sense. The two biggest hospitals in Toronto, both within a 10 minute drive of the ACC, have multiple wards/floors named after either current or former Leaf owners.

Best Childrens Hospital and Cancer Center in Canada, are arguably in Toronto.

Issue is if the Peg is where they are and will stay, Toronto makes about as much sense as 10 other teams.

Why not just move Hamonic for Buff? +- on either side makes sense, if NYI are willing to pay Buff what he will want.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...jacob-trouba-free-agents-asking-term-million/ <-- Buff wants 55 over 8 years. = 6.875

Why not do a sign and trade? Buff signs with the Peg, and they retain him at 1 million over 8 years. He becomes a 5.875 million guy for NYI, and Hamonic becomes essentially a 4.857 cap hit guy for the Peg. Win-Win?

You could also argue, if you have a health problem maybe it makes sense to move that family to Toronto for treatment as many Canadians do. I am sure the Leafs could facilitate accommodations for immediate family if need be somewhere downtown at trivial expense.

His cap hit is 3.7 x 5yrs and will have an effective salary of 4.8.

Not really sure how the dynamics of a BigBuff scenario would work out because it seems really complex. Maybe though, anything is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad