Rumor: Jake Gardiner's name 'in play'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I don't doubt that Gardiner has had his name floated out there.

He's a good asset but not a key building block like say Rielly, Nylander, Marner are.

If we want to get something good back we'll have to give up something good and Gardiner is one of the best piece that has good value but isn't key to our future.

One of the best aspects of Gardiner is his contract but with us being a few seasons removed from winning anything his contract doesn't mean nearly as much to us as it would to a team competing for something over the next few years.

We'd be dealing Gardiner from somewhat of an organizational strength.

-Phaneuf has more value to the Leafs than what we'd get in return which would include a cap dump. It's great to say deal him but just so we can take on bad contracts in return?

-Rielly is a lefty and the organization might want him to start playing him on that side

-The 3 most NHL ready youngsters who haven't established themselves as every game 15+ minute Dmen in Corrado, Harrington, Marincin are all lefties. Loov is also a lefty that has nothing more to learn down on the farm. Valiev is a lefty in his first AHL season who has shown promise. Nielsen has seen his stock skyrocket and is a lefty who will be in the AHL next year.

If we want to get nice top quality assets back names like Kadri, JVR, Gardiner will have to be in the discussion as the pieces everyone wants to deal like Phaneuf, Lupul, pending UFAs have little to even negative value.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Moving Gardiner is of the least necessity presently. There is likely interest if it were the case but i don't see the need. He is finally hitting his stride just this year.

I would think his age and where he is in his development is a fit to stay now. I don't even see the same player anymore. He has really made a extraordinary turn for the better. Defensemen take longer to reach their comfort level seems tobe a recognised understanding. So why trade him when he finally looks good.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I don't doubt that Gardiner has had his name floated out there.

He's a good asset but not a key building block like say Rielly, Nylander, Marner are.

If we want to get something good back we'll have to give up something good and Gardiner is one of the best piece that has good value but isn't key to our future.

One of the best aspects of Gardiner is his contract but with us being a few seasons removed from winning anything his contract doesn't mean nearly as much to us as it would to a team competing for something over the next few years.

We'd be dealing Gardiner from somewhat of an organizational strength.

-Phaneuf has more value to the Leafs than what we'd get in return which would include a cap dump. It's great to say deal him but just so we can take on bad contracts in return?

-Rielly is a lefty and the organization might want him to start playing him on that side

-The 3 most NHL ready youngsters who haven't established themselves as every game 15+ minute Dmen in Corrado, Harrington, Marincin are all lefties. Loov is also a lefty that has nothing more to learn down on the farm. Valiev is a lefty in his first AHL season who has shown promise. Nielsen has seen his stock skyrocket and is a lefty who will be in the AHL next year.

If we want to get nice top quality assets back names like Kadri, JVR, Gardiner will have to be in the discussion as the pieces everyone wants to deal like Phaneuf, Lupul, pending UFAs have little to even negative value.

LHD
Brennen
Campbell
Dermott
Desrocher
Gardiner
Harrington
Hunwick
Loov
Marincin
Nielsen
Percy
Phaneuf
Rielly
Valiev

RHD
Corrado
Donaghey
Lindgren
Polak
Robidas

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Moving Gardiner is of the least necessity presently. There is likely interest if it were the case but i don't see the need. He is finally hitting his stride just this year.

I would think his age and where he is in his development is a fit to stay now. I don't even see the same player anymore. He has really made a extraordinary turn for the better. Defensemen take longer to reach their comfort level seems tobe a recognised understanding. So why trade him when he finally looks good.

Because:

-He has value and could bring back something valuable

-Isn't valuable enough to be a top 5 or even 7 building block but could help net someone who is

-Is set to be a UFA around the time this team will be turning a corner in a few years

-Is a great sell high candidate

I see Gardiner as a 2nd pair Dman but with UFA rights in a few years that's the type of player who when we start turning the corner will probably be squeezed out of the lineup by younger, cheaper pieces so that we can fit in the contracts of higher end pieces.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Florida isn't offering Ekblad for Rielly so...pretty much isn't going anywhere.

Yup. I feel the same way. Also doubt anyone is willing to give a 5 - 10 pick for Gardiner. Top 4 defensemen are not exactly Toronto's strength right niw so can't see why we would be looking to sell on him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Because:

-He has value and could bring back something valuable

-Isn't valuable enough to be a top 5 or even 7 building block but could help net someone who is

-Is set to be a UFA around the time this team will be turning a corner in a few years

-Is a great sell high candidate

I see Gardiner as a 2nd pair Dman but with UFA rights in a few years that's the type of player who when we start turning the corner will probably be squeezed out of the lineup by younger, cheaper pieces so that we can fit in the contracts of higher end pieces.

I would think we have a better return later. He will improve under babcock again next year likely. Value is not everything. Just to trade is not savvy management. He has better value to keep presently from my standpoint. It might happen, but i wouldn't be very happy about it likely.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Please I'm hoping for a Phanoof in play thread soon...that's all I want.

Good ole Nonis. Between January 2013 and January 2014, he signed Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul, and Clarkson long-term. Great decisions all around.... Should have sold all those guys off while their value wasn't weighed down by bad contracts, and then never signed Clarkson.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Rielly - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Zaitsev
Gardiner

That's how Lou would have to be seeing things to make this rumour even remotely plausible. Can't really justify $4.05M for a #5 defender.

Although I would have thought Zaitsev would be given a bit of time to adjust?

Maybe they're also thinking Percy/Harrington could keep a spot.

Oh and we have Corrado...

But if we move Gardiner AND Polak that will be an interesting finish to the season.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Rielly - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Zaitsev
Gardiner

That's how Lou would have to be seeing things to make this rumour even remotely plausible. Can't really justify $4.05M for a #5 defender.

But if we move Gardiner AND Polak that will be an interesting finish to the season.

If Lou see's it this way, his time in the NHL should have been over last year, as the only D ahead of Gardiner on this team is Rielly. Go look up the stats of Dion with and without Gardiner.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Good ole Nonis. Between January 2013 and January 2014, he signed Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul, and Clarkson long-term. Great decisions all around.... Should have sold all those guys off while their value wasn't weighed down by bad contracts, and then never signed Clarkson.

And wanted to sign Bolland, and trade for Georges

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Rielly - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Zaitsev
Gardiner

Can't really justify labeling Gardiner as a #5 with Hunwick in front of him either.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Rielly - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Zaitsev
Gardiner

If we move Gardiner and Polak, Hunwick is our #3 defenseman and Marincin is our #4. Ouch.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
everyone on the current roster outside of Rielly should be in play
especially those with value should be considered to see what they can get

the goal is still long term

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
On most teams Gardiner is a bottom pairing defender, #4 at best if we can move him for a deal that makes sense we should do it

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I mean, it's not impossible, but I assume it'll require quite the return. Not many names won't be off the trading list.

Why do you assume that? He does nothing at an elite level, he does nothing at a very good level. His consistently thinks the game poorly. Besides being an incredibly smooth skater I can't imagine any part of his game that stands out that would warrant "quite a return".

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Why do you assume that? He does nothing at an elite level, he does nothing at a very good level. His consistently thinks the game poorly. Besides being an incredibly smooth skater I can't imagine any part of his game that stands out that would warrant "quite a return".

Yikes. Gardiner is one of the top defensemen in the game at shot suppression.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
If I had to guess at who it could be. I would say NYI and Hamonic. My reasons.

If its a family members Health, we have the best Hospitals and Doctors. If it requires an emergency flight, we can access private jets with ease. Nobody supports its players like Toronto.

Toronto is actually closer than many west coast team to the peg as well.

Whatever it is, outside the peg itself we can do it better and if its indeed a health issue, Toronto is option A.

Hamonic would be a decent return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad