Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I still believe he is a liability on this team.

We love overrating our Habs.

A liability would be someone who hurts the team, a good example would be Christian Dvorak.

Evans plays 3:30+ a game on the PK and hasn't let a PP goal be scored, has won over 50% of his faceoffs, has zero penalties and has probably been our most consistent forward at 5 on 5. Calling him a liability makes zero sense.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Really hope Jake Evans is brought back. I'd offer 2.5x3. He brings it every night, is reliable on the draw, and will only turn 29 next year.
Agreed.

But I think Evans has far more value on the open market than most here believe. This is no throw away player. But the development of Beck may make Evans expendable. It would not surprise me if, in as the TDL approaches, some playoff bound team makes Hughes an offer that he can’t refuse for this underrated player.

Reactions: Habssince89

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Agreed.

But I think Evans has far more value on the open market than most here believe. This is no throw away player. But the development of Beck may make Evans expendable. It would not surprise me if, in as the TDL approaches, some playoff bound team makes Hughes an offer that he can’t refuse for this underrated player.
What you think that offer be? A 2nd?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
What you think that offer be? A 2nd?
If its less than a second I keep Evans around. You can see that he’s turned into team leader. And there’s some tread left on this dedicated player.

Armia, Anderson, Gallagher and Dvorak will soon be flushed out of the team. One of the already youngest teams in the league needs some veteran presence.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If its less than a second I keep Evans around. You can see that he’s turned into team leader. And there’s some tread left on this dedicated player.

Armia, Anderson, Gallagher and Dvorak will soon be flushed out of the team. One of the already youngest teams in the league needs some veteran presence.
Completely agree... But...

His shot seems improved to me. Hope he has a career year.
This may be the issue.

He's worked his butt off earning very small comparative salary (less than 8M, 28 yrs old).

He'd be crazy not to go for absolute market premium on his next deal. If he has a career year (15+g 35-40+ points), some team will offer him $$ & term.

Copp (5 yr @5.6M signed in 2022) is probably the floor of what his agent will push for, especially with a further cap increase.... That's probably too much to make sense for the Habs to match, I would think

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This may be the issue.

He's worked his butt off earning very small comparative salary (less than 8M, 28 yrs old).

He'd be crazy not to go for absolute market premium on his next deal. If he has a career year (15+g 35-40+ points), some team will offer him $$ & term.

Copp (5 yr @5.6M signed in 2022) is probably the floor of what his agent will push for, especially with a further cap increase.... That's probably too much to make sense for the Habs to match, I would think
Copp had 53 points in 72 games plus 14 points in 20 playoff games, and the previous year had a 58 point pace. Even if Evans has a breakout 40 point season he's not really in same conversation as Copp was at.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Copp had 53 points in 72 games plus 14 points in 20 playoff games, and the previous year had a 58 point pace. Even if Evans has a breakout 40 point season he's not really in same conversation as Copp was at.
It was 35 in 56 before he went on a career abnormal pace with the Rangers for 16 games + said playoffs. 1 season over 30 points before that.

Next summer, cap will be up almost 10M from 2022

If Evans hits 40+, his agent will 💯 use that as a comp. It's what they do.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It was 35 in 56 before he went on a career abnormal pace with the Rangers for 16 games + said playoffs. 1 season over 30 points before that.

Next summer, cap will be up almost 10M from 2022

If Evans hits 40+, his agent will 💯 use that as a comp. It's what they do.
35 in 56 is still a 51 point pace, so he produced like a top-6 player for 2 years and had a very good run. And let's not kid ourselves, having a great run is a big part of getting those types of contracts, if Lehkonen doesn't go on his great run with Colorado he doesn't get his 5 year 4.5m either.

If Evans doesn't have a similar type of run he's not going to be able to get those types of deals.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
35 in 56 is still a 51 point pace, so he produced like a top-6 player for 2 years and had a very good run. And let's not kid ourselves, having a great run is a big part of getting those types of contracts, if Lehkonen doesn't go on his great run with Colorado he doesn't get his 5 year 4.5m either.

If Evans doesn't have a similar type of run he's not going to be able to get those types of deals.
Meh. Agree to disagree.

We'll see both what kind of season Evans has, and if it's a career best, what kind of deal he settles for.

My hope is that he loves playing montreal & with this core enough that he takes a team friendly discount and we lock him up for 4-5yrs. Excellent bottom 6 player.

Reactions: the valiant effort

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Completely agree... But...

This may be the issue.

In my long business life I’ve learned two important business truths: don’t overreach and don’t chase. If Evans want’s something unrealistic, then you let him walk.

Let’s have no more Gallaghers.

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Evans solid 4 the line center. Could sign him trade one of our centers in package for top right D? Evans 28 lot of hockey left

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I've really liked his game this year. We shouldn't be in a rush to trade him unless we get a stupidly good offer. I'd be happy to keep him as long as his contract demands aren't too high, which I don't expect they will be.

Reactions: Andrei79

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've really liked his game this year. We shouldn't be in a rush to trade him unless we get a stupidly good offer. I'd be happy to keep him as long as his contract demands aren't too high, which I don't expect they will be.

Agreed, he is developing Lehkonen level value as he is strong in all three zones and brings it every shift.

Reactions: Andrei79

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Evans is a UFA and a very capable 4th C who can also play up the line up. Guy just got married and he must think of family first so I think he goes for max term and salary and any deal with Habs will be along those lines, or he doesn't sign.

Gms make the regular mistake of overpaying for bottom players. However , if you are going to pay for a guy it's a C. And Evans is good for all the reasons given. Great problem to have an abundance of Cs but will Evans agent want at least 4-5 years and something around $3.5-$4 M? No chance he signs for 2 years or even 3, this is the first time in his career he can demand a moderate length contract, he needs to capitalize.

Personally I think he goes.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Evans is a UFA and a very capable 4th C who can also play up the line up. Guy just got married and he must think of family first so I think he goes for max term and salary and any deal with Habs will be along those lines, or he doesn't sign.

Gms make the regular mistake of overpaying for bottom players. However , if you are going to pay for a guy it's a C. And Evans is good for all the reasons given. Great problem to have an abundance of Cs but will Evans agent want at least 4-5 years and something around $3.5-$4 M? No chance he signs for 2 years or even 3, this is the first time in his career he can demand a moderate length contract, he needs to capitalize.

Personally I think he goes.
That's too much for me. 3 million by 4 years most I go.

Reactions: ryan callahan

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Really hope Jake Evans is brought back. I'd offer 2.5x3. He brings it every night, is reliable on the draw, and will only turn 29 next year.
I agree that he is the kinda guy you want on the team but not sure 2.5M$ is realistic if he continues… so at the same time not sure we can past on trading him if we could be selling very high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad