Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm afraid he's gonna have to start blocking shots.
I like Jake as a three but not as a four and yes my one criticism of his play on the PK is he's missing a physical component to be really good.
Blocking shots and getting in passing lanes isn't his forte his positional awareness and anticipation is.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's playing really well since the start of the season, really an ideal 4th line center.

It will be sad when he his inevitably traded.
He's playing on the 3rd line :huh:
And no I don't think he's an ideal 4th line center.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Been playing well, looks “manlier”. PK doing well too.

I thought I’d say because I’m usually so down on the bottom 6.
He has definitely benefitted from a big role last year. No team plans to give a player like Evans that kind of TOI in a non-tank situation, but it leads to a silver lining of giving him tons of development time. He's never going to be a top6 player obviously, but it shows how much decision making and IQ can be improved with experience. He's 29 now and he hasn't stopped working on himself.

love to see a 7th rounder carve out a respectable career

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Only UFA I would sign. He wouldn’t break the bank.

Very versatile guy who is good on the PK

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He has definitely benefitted from a big role last year. No team plans to give a player like Evans that kind of TOI in a non-tank situation, but it leads to a silver lining of giving him tons of development time. He's never going to be a top6 player obviously, but it shows how much decision making and IQ can be improved with experience. He's 29 now and he hasn't stopped working on himself.

love to see a 7th rounder carve out a respectable career

His IQ was always very good, he has taken the time to improve his puck skills and now has the confidence to take advantage of his skating and IQ.

Levard

Apr 25, 2023
Get this guy out of the team ASAP can't stand him anymore. He is ALWAYS on the ice for important faceoffs and PK(which we suck at) is weak as a child ..way too much ice time and bring ZERO physicality and almost zero production .. as long as we have losers like him Dvorak and Anderson in the bottom 6 we are going nowhere.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Get this guy out of the team ASAP can't stand him anymore. He is ALWAYS on the ice for important faceoffs and PK(which we suck at) is weak as a child ..way too much ice time and bring ZERO physicality and almost zero production .. as long as we have losers like him Dvorak and Anderson in the bottom 6 we are going nowhere.
Evans + Anderson duo on PK has been excellent and was so last night again

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We have the 2nd best PK in the league. Like if your going to complain about something there's a ton of stuff we are near the bottom of the league at, pick one of those instead of saying our PK sucks when it's running at 90.9%.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

One of the worst posts I have seen in a while and considering the low bar that this board represents....that is saying something.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not Evans fault Dvorak is shit and Dach is struggling so he’s back to getting over used. He’s the least of our worries and would be an exceptional 4th line C on a contender

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I wish he was more physical and/or had more skill, but Evans is way down the list of problems for this team.

He's cheap, he works hard, wins faceoffs, good on the PK... Whatever, he's fine.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our PK is 2nd overall in the league and Evans is a massive part of that playing 3:30 a game on the PK. At ES, his line has also been our most consistent line so far this year.

I'd love for him to come back, but wouldn't be surprised to see him test free agency given he'll only be 28 years old and some GMs likely will offer him plenty of term that Hughes might not want to give with guys like Kapanen/Beck around.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Our PK is 2nd overall in the league and Evans is a massive part of that playing 3:30 a game on the PK. At ES, his line has also been our most consistent line so far this year.

I'd love for him to come back, but wouldn't be surprised to see him test free agency given he'll only be 28 years old and some GMs likely will offer him plenty of term that Hughes might not want to give with guys like Kapanen/Beck around.
He'll be 29 when he hits free agency.

Evans is the least of our concerns, in fact he is solid at what his role is.
He's the least of our concern both ways. He's okay but let's not pretend he is "la crème de la crème" as a 3rd line center.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not Evans fault Dvorak is shit and Dach is struggling so he’s back to getting over used. He’s the least of our worries and would be an exceptional 4th line C on a contender
He's too expensive to be a 4th line center on a contender. If you are contending you don't want to spend more than 1ish millions on your 4th line players. Dallas currently has 6 forwards paid 1.2 millions and less. Colorado has 8. Toronto has 8 paid 1.3 millions or less. Florida 6. Boston 7. NYR 6.

At 1.7 millions Evans has to be considered a 3rd line center specially since he will likely have a small raise for next season. What contending teams will see in him if he hits the UFA market is a potential cheap 3rd line center.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I like him as a player and he's earned every minute of ice time. I wish he was a faceoff ace or had a some sort of above average ability that set him apart from others. There is no questioning the mindset or effort. A solid NHL pro. At almost 30, he'll want to win.

Reactions: LaP

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He's too expensive to be a 4th line center on a contender. If you are contending you don't want to spend more than 1ish millions on your 4th line players. Dallas currently has 6 forwards paid 1.2 millions and less. Colorado has 8. Toronto has 8 paid 1.3 millions or less. Florida 6. Boston 7. NYR 6.

At 1.7 millions Evans has to be considered a 3rd line center specially since he will likely have a small raise for next season. What contending teams will see in him if he hits the UFA market is a potential cheap 3rd line center.
We’ve got close to $20MM tied up in 4th liners Is the problem more so than Evans salary. $1.7 MM for what Jake brings is great value so as long as he doesn’t get the Marc Bergevin 4x $3.5MM renewal special I’m ok bringing him back but also won’t be hurt if he gets dealt at the TDL when we are out of the mix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad