Former Bruins Jake DeBrusk - gone to Nucks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Babajingo

If Jake would have taken 4 X 5.5 without the NTC he would still be a Bruin. 7 years is too long and no NTC, well, maybe a limited no trade list the first two only.

He got some security. Wish him the best. He's now Vancouver's problem.
I thought the 7 years was waaaay too much. I didn't know about the NMC on top of it. Geeesh.
I'm not a Sweeny fan but he definitely made the right choice on this one.

Reactions: JAD and Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
So you’re ok with DeBrusk to age 33, but not age 35? Okay I still don’t understand but…

Of course he’s not elite. If he were elite he wouldn’t have signed for 5.5m
Can't we just respectfully disagree with each other's OPINION?

Why carry this personal cross against my opinion. I like the player, I like the money, I hate the term for a completely inconsistent hockey player.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Context...think of need...think of the player...think of availability of talented centers on the market

Huh?

I'm specifically talking about the length of a contract and nothing else. Seven years is apparently really bad for one guy but no for a guy two years older. That's what many people on this board are saying without context for obvious reasons. I don't need to bail them out of that hypocrisy by offering context they're not worried about.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
View attachment 891308
What an absolute clown loser. Maybe if you weren’t a whiny baby they wouldn’t have had to run the coach putting it all together out of town.

He's a clown loser because he wants to go to a team that could win? The Bruins wanted to move on. The Nucks wanted him. So you're mad because??

Sweeney didn't want to pay to keep him. He said after the playoffs he wanted to stay, but wants to be on a team that could win. Sweeney chose not to re-sign him, so he left. He didn't get a ridiculous contract like some on here thought. It was reasonable. He's gone. He didn't disparage Boston.

The Cassidy stuff is unnecessary because Bergeron wanted him gone too. And Frederic. And Carlo. But it's all Jake's fault, eh?

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
Huh?

I'm specifically talking about the length of a contract and nothing else. Seven years is apparently really bad for one guy but no for a guy two years older. That's what many people on this board are saying without context for obvious reasons. I don't need to bail them out of that hypocrisy by offering context they're not worried about.
Maybe I'm just missing the point you're trying to make

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I really liked him as a player when he was engaged. When he wasn't, which was too often, I found him frustrating.

Nobody can maintain an optimal level of performance at all times, so it becomes a somewhat subjective assessment of on/off ratios. Partly why he was so polarizing here.

I think he's a good dude and I think we'll miss seeing him in a Bruins uniform, but I also think it was time for both parties to move on.

Now I think it's time for us to move on, too.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Can't we just respectfully disagree with each other's OPINION?

Why carry this personal cross against my opinion. I like the player, I like the money, I hate the term for a completely inconsistent hockey player.
Did I disrespectfully disagree? I was cordial.

I’m just curious what the logic behind the 5 years vs 7 was. Age 33 vs age 35. That’s all.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
He's a clown loser because he wants to go to a team that could win? The Bruins wanted to move on. The Nucks wanted him. So you're mad because??

Sweeney didn't want to pay to keep him. He said after the playoffs he wanted to stay, but wants to be on a team that could win. Sweeney chose not to re-sign him, so he left. He didn't get a ridiculous contract like some on here thought. It was reasonable. He's gone. He didn't disparage Boston.

The Cassidy stuff is unnecessary because Bergeron wanted him gone too. And Frederic. And Carlo. But it's all Jake's fault, eh?
You’re probably closer to being right than I am. I just feel he had one foot here one foot out the door. Wish him well except if we meet in the finals.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Players who got 7 year contracts in free agency or trade and sign deals:

Guentzel
Lindholm
Stephenson
Montour
DeBrusk

Sorry, I just don't see JDB as a "needle mover" that should be signed for 7 years.
I think he got a great deal and it's very cap friendly. He's a 27 year old top 6 wingers who kills penalties, plays PP and performs in the play-offs. I see him as worst case a 3LW the last two years, 1st PK unit and solid vet. I'm not going to complain to Zadorov and Lindholms deals because I love them as players, but lets face it they were terrible. Bruins did what they had to do to land them in UFA, and you pay more but I look at Jake's deal as an absolute bargain. If you brought up under 6 mil per around here you were delusional. I figured 6/39 was the number. This deal was literally top five yesterday IMO.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
I think he got a great deal and it's very cap friendly. He's a 27 year old top 6 wingers who kills penalties, plays PP and performs in the play-offs. I see him as worst case a 3LW the last two years, 1st PK unit and solid vet. I'm not going to complain to Zadorov and Lindholms deals because I love them as players, but lets face it they were terrible. Bruins did what they had to do to land them in UFA, and you pay more but I look at Jake's deal as an absolute bargain. If you brought up under 6 mil per around here you were delusional. I figured 6/39 was the number. This deal was literally top five yesterday IMO.
We'll compare them seven years from now, lol. I respect your opinion.

Reactions: LouJersey

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
That's all he was going to get for salary, but I am sure Boston was not giving him that length of a contract.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Hf math is a little fuzzy…
It's really not. Wingers like JDB are a dime a dozen (for the most part) while good centers are hard to find. Trying to compare the two on a length of contract does need context. You don't find centermen like Lindholm easily, so those types of players tend to get wrapped up and signed to a lengthy deal. I mean...really 7 years for JDB? That's nuts and I can guarantee Nuck fans are going to get fed up with him by at most in 2 years time, just like most of us in Boston did. He is an irritating player because you see the talent but he takes 5 to 7 games off at a time, has a great game and disappears again. His player rankings are anywhere from 26th to 36th in different categories. That puts him as a run of the mill winger and smart teams do not sign a player of that nature for 7 years.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It's really not. Wingers like JDB are a dime a dozen (for the most part) while good centers are hard to find. Trying to compare the two on a length of contract does need context. You don't find centermen like Lindholm easily, so those types of players tend to get wrapped up and signed to a lengthy deal. I mean...really 7 years for JDB? That's nuts and I can guarantee Nuck fans are going to get fed up with him by at most in 2 years time, just like most of us in Boston did. He is an irritating player because you see the talent but he takes 5 to 7 games off at a time, has a great game and disappears again. His player rankings are anywhere from 26th to 36th in different categories. That puts him as a run of the mill winger and smart teams do not sign a player of that nature for 7 years.
Last 3 PO series he was one of the 3 best forwards. That's against Fla twice and a
great history against Leafs. Come PO going to miss him.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Last 3 PO series he was one of the 3 best forwards. That's against Fla twice and a
great history against Leafs. Come PO going to miss him.
But the question is, is he worth a 7 yr contract which was I what addressing. He has value, yup he had decent playoffs a few times but is that worth a 7 yr contract? He's not a star and his comparisons are to players like Konecny and Larkin who are run of the mill players. You need players like JDB but they can be found all over the league. We are looking at his peak, a 20-25 goals and 40-50 pt guy. That's his peak.

TBH, I have to go back to Gary Doak to find another player with so much possible talent but frustrates you to no end. Is that worth a 7 yr contract to you?

Reactions: Ladyfan

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Would have liked Jake at the cap hit. Wouldn’t have given him trade protection. The 7 years doesn’t bother me. It also doesn’t bother me that he’s gone.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
But the question is, is he worth a 7 yr contract which was I what addressing. He has value, yup he had decent playoffs a few times but is that worth a 7 yr contract? He's not a star and his comparisons are to players like Konecny and Larkin who are run of the mill players. You need players like JDB but they can be found all over the league. We are looking at his peak, a 20-25 goals and 40-50 pt guy. That's his peak.

TBH, I have to go back to Gary Doak to find another player with so much possible talent but frustrates you to no end. Is that worth a 7 yr contract to you?

You and I have a different interpretation of "run of the mill". Larkin is a legit #1C
and TK legit top 6 RW. Not going to argue DeBrusk RS ghosting its true but he has produced against both Florida and Leafs so to me its worth his price\term.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
You and I have a different interpretation of "run of the mill". Larkin is a legit #1C
and TK legit top 6 RW. Not going to argue DeBrusk RS ghosting its true but he has produced against both Florida and Leafs so to me its worth his price\term.
Being legit top 6 players does not translate to "star" status. You're nitpicking, threading the needle and trying to find the hole in what I am saying in traditional HF argumentative fashion.

To me, a 7 yr contract is reserved for hard to find players, players with a guaranteed skill set who bring it every game. JDB is not any of those things, his contributions can be easily replaced with another player which is what I mean by "run of the mill". Those players are all around the league. This does not diminish being a top 6 guy and please don't conflate those two different meanings.

Signing a player because he had a couple of series is not justification for a 7 yr deal, at least not for me. Honestly, you can throw out last year because just about every Bruin player had career years in terms of points. JDB is a 20 goal guy and 40 pt overall with potential to hit 25 and 50. I agree his money value is spot on, 5.5 million seems about right but at 7 yrs with a limited NTC.....no way Jose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad