Jake Allen is Leading the League in GAA...

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Can they name them the Utah Coyotes?

For arguments sake, lets say there is a bakery in Edmonton called Joe's Bakery they're struggling to make ends meet so you buy all their equipment and their staff but not the Joe's Bakery name. You then move them all to Calgary. When you open up are you Joe's Bakery? Or are you a different bakery?

Utah has no rights to the Coyote name or likeness, with every other relocation that hasn't been the case. You won't see any throwback nights wearing Coyote jerseys like you do with the Hurricanes wearing the Whalers uniforms. Or the Devils making 3rd jerseys using the Colorado Rockies colors.

except they did make them and and they were awful.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
That isn't even remotely the same as the Utah/Arizona situation. I honestly can't believe you think this post proves anything other than your inability to understand even basic logic.

Colorado to New Jersey = same franchise
Minnesota to Dallas = same franchise
Quebec to Colorado = same franchise
Winnipeg to Phoenix = same franchise
Hartford to Carolina = same franchise
Atlanta to Winnipeg = same franchise

Arizona to Utah = OMG how could anyone think this is the same franchise!!!?!

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
It’s strange that notJoe’s Bakery in Calgary was insistent on inheriting and honouring all the existing contracts Joe’s Bakery in Edmonton had, but so they did. They must be losing a fortune delivering my daily muffin to me in Edmonton, but a contract’s a contract and they chose to keep it intact.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Colorado to New Jersey = same franchise
Minnesota to Dallas = same franchise
Quebec to Colorado = same franchise
Winnipeg to Phoenix = same franchise
Hartford to Carolina = same franchise
Atlanta to Winnipeg = same franchise

Arizona to Utah = OMG how could anyone think this is the same franchise!!!?!
Colorado to New Jersey = same franchise and history
Minnesota to Dallas = same franchise and history
Quebec to Colorado = same franchise and history
Winnipeg to Phoenix = same franchise and history
Hartford to Carolina = same franchise and history
Atlanta to Winnipeg = same franchise and history

Arizona to Utah = same players, different histories.

Every single team on the left side can use their former teams names, colors or put banners in the rafters in reference to the old team. They can do this because they also own the rights to their history and likeness.

Utah cannot use their former teams names, colors or put banners in the rafters in reference to the old team. They can't do this because the don't own the rights to their history or likeness.

Since they didn't buy the history, you won't find a Shane Doan #19 banner in the rafters in Utah because that number isn't retired there. Yet Neal Broten's number is retired in Dallas even though he only played a little over 100 games as a Dallas Star.

If Utah and Arizona share the same history why didn't they keep #19 retired? History is a huge part of what makes a franchise a franchise.

I understand that it's super hard to understand the difference between the team on the ice and the actual franchise but I assure you, they aren't' the same thing.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I'm just getting in this thread early before it's 200 pages and Allen is the obvious Vezina favourite.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maybe we need a rule like "x player is leading the league in y"-threads cannot be created before November. Or even December.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Maybe we need a rule like "x player is leading the league in y"-threads cannot be created before November. Or even December.
The appropriate time to mention Jake Allen's dominance is after he wins his Vezina (again)

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Colorado to New Jersey = same franchise and history
Minnesota to Dallas = same franchise and history
Quebec to Colorado = same franchise and history
Winnipeg to Phoenix = same franchise and history
Hartford to Carolina = same franchise and history
Atlanta to Winnipeg = same franchise and history

Arizona to Utah = same players, different histories.

Every single team on the left side can use their former teams names, colors or put banners in the rafters in reference to the old team. They can do this because they also own the rights to their history and likeness.

Utah cannot use their former teams names, colors or put banners in the rafters in reference to the old team. They can't do this because the don't own the rights to their history or likeness.

Since they didn't buy the history, you won't find a Shane Doan #19 banner in the rafters in Utah because that number isn't retired there. Yet Neal Broten's number is retired in Dallas even though he only played a little over 100 games as a Dallas Star.

If Utah and Arizona share the same history why didn't they keep #19 retired? History is a huge part of what makes a franchise a franchise.

I understand that it's super hard to understand the difference between the team on the ice and the actual franchise but I assure you, they aren't' the same thing.

It's not confusing, it's just a lot of pedantic BS from the league. No one who disagrees with you doesn't understand what the league is saying, we're saying we don't care. If 15 years from now guys like Keller, Cooley, or Guenther are retiring with Utah, do you think the team and league will consider them as players who only played for one franchise? Yes, they obviously will. The fact that the team isn't allowed to don the hallowed Coyotes sweater is just semantics. They're the same franchise with a new coat of paint.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It's not confusing, it's just a lot of pedantic BS from the league. No one who disagrees with you doesn't understand what the league is saying, we're saying we don't care. If 15 years from now guys like Keller, Cooley, or Guenther are retiring with Utah, do you think the team and league will consider them as players who only played for one franchise? Yes, they obviously will. The fact that the team isn't allowed to don the hallowed Coyotes sweater is just semantics. They're the same franchise with a new coat of paint.
Nope, they will have played for 2, the Utah whatever and the Arizona Coyotes.

If by some miracle the Coyotes get reactivated within the next 5 years, will they get all their players back? No!

Will that Doan banner go back up? Yes!

Why is that?

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Nope, they will have played for 2, the Utah whatever and the Arizona Coyotes.

If by some miracle the Coyotes get reactivated within the next 5 years, will they get all their players back? No!

Will that Doan banner go back up? Yes!

Why is that?

Well, they won't get all the Utah players because they'd be a completely new franchise. Atlanta didn't get all the Flames players back when they got the Thrashers. There would be an expansion draft because that's what happens with an expansion franchise.

They'll put up a Doan banner because the league would be pretending that they're the same franchise and that it just went to sleep for a while, which is obviously a ridiculous notion.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Well, they won't get all the Utah players because they'd be a completely new franchise. Atlanta didn't get all the Flames players back when they got the Thrashers. There would be an expansion draft because that's what happens with an expansion franchise.

They'll put up a Doan banner because the league would be pretending that they're the same franchise and that it just went to sleep for a while, which is obviously a ridiculous notion.
I haven't come across many people as unwilling to admit they're wrong as you. You are 100% incorrect and are completely unwilling to even attempt to understand why.

This is different than every other relocation, but you refuse to acknowledge it and assume it's the same thing as every other time.

I honestly don't know why I've wasted as much time trying to make you understand, when it's pretty clear that you aren't capable of it.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I haven't come across many people as unwilling to admit they're wrong as you. You are 100% incorrect and are completely unwilling to even attempt to understand why.

This is different than every other relocation, but you refuse to acknowledge it and assume it's the same thing as every other time.

I honestly don't know why I've wasted as much time trying to make you understand, when it's pretty clear that you aren't capable of it.

1729286518327.jpeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Allen/Kovacevic have been great since they've been here, not sure why the latter was traded when he could've been the perfect D partner for Hutson

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Allen/Kovacevic have been great since they've been here, not sure why the latter was traded when he could've been the perfect D partner for Hutson

Mad respect for Kovacevic. Dude is a gamer and seems like a great person. But he fell victim to a numbers game. Not that our D is lights out by any stretch, but Gorton and Hughes were obviously going to value dressing the kids over a guy just perceived as a bottom pairing depth guy.

I do wish him the best in Jersey. I'd love to see him carve himself a nice career as a steady option.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Mad respect for Kovacevic. Dude is a gamer and seems like a great person. But he fell victim to a numbers game. Not that our D is lights out by any stretch, but Gorton and Hughes were obviously going to value dressing the kids over a guy just perceived as a bottom pairing depth guy.

I do wish him the best in Jersey. I'd love to see him carve himself a nice career as a steady option.

He's been insane for us to start the season, I don't expect it to last but if he can continue to play the way he does, it'll allow us to bring back Pesce whenever he's 100% healthy and not rushing back from a serious hip injury. But yeah, that's definitely fair lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad