Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen (50% retained) traded to the Devils for cond. 2025 3rd (2025 2nd if Allen plays in 40+ games and team qualifies for playoffs next season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
So with the NJD acquiring Markstrom - will it make it more challenging for Allen to reach the conditions involved to become a 2nd?

*Conditions: Upgrades to 2025 2nd round pick if Allen plays in 40 or more 2024-25 games and if the club that Allen is a member of qualifies for the playoffs in 2024-25​

I think we all knew that Devils would be acquiring a starter. I feel Markstrom isn't that much of an upgrade over Allen and at age 34 he could easily falter so I see this as a positive. Here's hoping Allen steps up and outplays Markstrom next year
Allen is the worst goalie in the NHL and Markstrom is one of the better goalies when healthy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Markstrom is unquestionably a large upgrade from Jake Allen.

He has been relatively struggling in Calgary the last two years though. Granted it's Calgary, but I wouldn't classify NJ as a defensive juggernaut either.

Allen is the worst goalie in the NHL and Markstrom is one of the better goalies when healthy

Both these statements are pretty hyperbolic.

Disclaimer, I don't think we'll get that 2nd round pick, but I also don't think it is an outlandish possibility.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
If Hughes waited he could have gotten a 1st and a prospect for Allen now with no salary retained. :D

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Entirely hypothetical: Do you trade Allen for PLD if Allen was still a Hab yesterday?
WTF. Dubois playing at his best is BARELY a positive asset at his pricetag, and that's without the NMC, and the "playing at his best" qualifier is pretty significant. That deal also lasts forever, and Dubois may have simply played his best hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharleyHorse

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Only way Allen gets in 40 games is if Markstrom has a season ending injury early in the season.

We are getting a 3rd rounder for Allen. Don’t get your hopes up on a 2nd because the odds of it happening are very slim.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The fan stuff isn't cool but anyone earning USD 3.8m+ isn't a victim that deserves any protection from the environment. Pressure comes with the territory, it's part of his job to handle it.

There is a line but I agree that that is exactly what Armia did by handling the demotion in such a professional manner and choosing to address his demons with professional help instead of claiming victim status and sulking.

Reactions: tazsub3 and SOLR

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Entirely hypothetical: Do you trade Allen for PLD if Allen was still a Hab yesterday?

NO, not at full cap hit for Dubois. He's not a $8.5M player. More like around $7M. Bringing him in Montreal making more than Suzuki is not a good idea. And you all know how much I am interested in adding Dubois to our mix but I have a price point.

I actually would use Dubois as a power forward winger and center insurance if someone gets hurt. I think he is a perfect line mate for Dach and they could have shared the faceoffs.

Guy couldn’t stop a beach ball if the net was 2 feet wide

I'd be careful with jumping on Allen who was on a very bad defensive team. He's a great back-up but a fringe starter. I think he does well with the Devils in the role he should be in this coming season.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He has been relatively struggling in Calgary the last two years though. Granted it's Calgary, but I wouldn't classify NJ as a defensive juggernaut either.

What does any of that have to do with Markstrom unquestionably being an upgrade on Jake Allen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad