Jagr vs. Hull: Playoff resumes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
For me he disappoints in the playoffs because he never had a playoff run that matches the caliber of his regular seasons. Yes he never had a bad playoff, but he never had a great one either. It's consistently just good, he never elevated.
Just off the top of my head, Jagr scored 24 points in 21 GP and won the Cup in Pittsburgh when he was barely 20. He raised his game when Mario missed six games. I'm probably missing someone like Steve Payne or something, but 24 playoff points at that age is pretty damn impressive. Can't think of anyone else who has done that, tbh.

And you don't have to look too far or too hard to find other impressive Jagr playoff years.

My Best-Carey

Edit: 1991-92 was considered Jagr's age 19 season. His 24 playoff points are the best for that age or younger. Gretzky had 21 and Roenick 18 for next on the list for age 19 or younger.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Yes. Let's throw out Barrasso's great year in 97-98 because the Penguins actually tried to play a little defense for the first time since the 70's. Of course, we'd have to do the same with about 19 seasons out of Martin Brodeur's career on the defense-first Devils trap machine teams.

My Best-Carey
It's not about "throwing it out", but it requires context. Just like Brodeur's seasons (though, the idea that he played behind a defense-first team his whole career is just nonsense. The Devils on the other side of the lockout especially were known for their aggressive forecheck led by Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise...not exactly defensive luminaries - he was great no matter the circumstance, that's why talent evaluation is so important).

Anywho...Barrasso was going 3.52/.896 over the previous four seasons/100 games under the "do whatever you want" Pens of Eddie Johnston's tenure. Then becomes a 2.07/.922 guy immediately upon Constantine's arrival (with Peter Skudra batting about the same)...it's pretty clear that Barrasso was not an elite goalie talent wise at that time. But he was good enough to figure it out under Constantine's system. After Constantine's time, Barrasso went right back to being - exactly - a .896 goalie for the remainder of his career, fittingly.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
l (with Peter Skudra batting about the same
341 shots is low enough to be quite noisy, 2 goals either direction and you go from .917 to .930

The veteran Wregget was .904 that year, exactly like the year before or after.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I know...save percentage stinks. I don't need a reminder haha - but just illustrating that Barrasso was obviously buoyed by Constantine.

Saying that 341 shots is low and subject to noise and then throwing Wregget in to the discussion is misleading. Wregget played even less and faced even fewer shots. He herniated a disc in his back that year after a series of knee injuries I think...he clearly wasn't close to 100% and didn't last much longer in the league.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Saying that 341 shots is low and subject to noise and then throwing Wregget in to the discussion is misleading.
So I feel you agree completely with my message ;)

Wregget faced 293 shots, same ballpark than Skudra who never played in the nhl before.

One can pick and choose to create the narrative they want.

Constantine was the penguins coach for a while, after Constantine time Barrasso was not a penguin anymore., the way it was phrased make it look like if Barrasso stat went down after leaving Constantine.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Ok, completely forget Skudra and Wregget. Barrasso only got Vezina looks in the two seasons that we distinctly played some defensive structure. '93 and '98. The Penguins wouldn't play any legitimate structure again until 2007/2008 when Therrien got his stuff implemented. And then again under Mike Johnston.

Constantine was only the Pens coach for two full seasons.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
. I don't know how much you blame Hull. If Lemaire doesn't score a goal from outside of the blueline in the 2nd period of Game 7 in 1971 then Hull easily has a Conn Smythe.
ya Espo, that was an awful goal to let in.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Anywho...Barrasso was going 3.52/.896 over the previous four seasons/100 games under the "do whatever you want" Pens of Eddie Johnston's tenure. Then becomes a 2.07/.922 guy immediately upon Constantine's arrival (with Peter Skudra batting about the same)...it's pretty clear that Barrasso was not an elite goalie talent wise at that time. But he was good enough to figure it out under Constantine's system. After Constantine's time, Barrasso went right back to being - exactly - a .896 goalie for the remainder of his career, fittingly.
Well, you could make the argument that Brodeur played under defensive-minded coaches almost his entire career with (Lemaire, Burns, Robinson, Julien, even Constantine for awhile) and that he was pretty sheltered because of that.

And Barrasso, in Pittsburgh, save a year or two, was basically thrown to the wolves in a run and gun "we'll outscore you" mentality. And that his "true" ability to shutdown opponents ala Brodeur was only evident in seasons like 1992-93 and 97-98, when the Penguins took a more defensive tact and consequently his numbers were as good or better than Marty's.

My Best-Carey

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I don't disagree to an extent. But again, this is why proper talent evaluation is so critical in this. It clears up oddities lickety split.

Barrasso and Brodeur are several tiers apart (I say that as I'm watching game 6 of the 1999 ECQF haha)...that said, Brodeur was significantly better than basically every goalie that has ever played, so that's not a dig at Barrasso...he was a rushed prospect and lacked structure to his game. He adapted and figured out some stuff on sheer will and ability, he deserves credit for that.. He developed it a time of tumult for goalies and kept himself in the game during a (the?) golden age for the position...that's not nothing either, and it's never going to be captured by stats/votes...

And to be clearer, the Penguins method of "inmates run the asylum" coaching and organizational leadership that prevailed for damn near most of the team's history has a profoundly negative affect on goaltending stats in particular...

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
88-89 to 92-93 team "save percentage", to make it easy I am using their shots against and goals against stats as a proxy for the team save percentage.

88-89 to 92-93
Montréal Canadiens
89.65%​
St. Louis Blues
89.13%​
New York Rangers
89.08%​
Buffalo Sabres
88.72%​
Chicago Blackhawks
88.38%​
Dallas Stars
88.36%​
Boston Bruins
88.28%​
New York Islanders
88.22%​
Philadelphia Flyers
88.22%​
Arizona Coyotes
88.18%​
Vancouver Canucks
88.16%​
Pittsburgh Penguins
88.13%
Toronto Maple Leafs
88.11%​
Los Angeles Kings
88.09%​
Edmonton Oilers
88.06%​
Calgary Flames
88.06%​
Washington Capitals
88.04%​
New Jersey Devils
87.93%​
Detroit Red Wings
87.71%​
Carolina Hurricanes
87.48%​
San Jose Sharks
87.10%​
Colorado Avalanche
87.05%​
Tampa Bay Lightning
87.01%​
Ottawa Senators
85.22%​
Average
88.02%

93-94 to 97-98:

Buffalo Sabres
91.81%​
New Jersey Devils
91.03%​
Chicago Blackhawks
90.71%​
Florida Panthers
90.61%​
Colorado Avalanche
90.47%​
Anaheim Ducks
90.38%​
Montréal Canadiens
90.32%​
Toronto Maple Leafs
90.32%​
New York Rangers
90.31%​
Pittsburgh Penguins
90.13%
Carolina Hurricanes
90.03%​
Dallas Stars
90.00%​
Detroit Red Wings
90.00%​
Los Angeles Kings
89.97%​
St. Louis Blues
89.90%​
Philadelphia Flyers
89.67%​
Washington Capitals
89.66%​
New York Islanders
89.44%​
Calgary Flames
89.35%​
Tampa Bay Lightning
89.27%​
Edmonton Oilers
89.23%​
Arizona Coyotes
89.17%​
Vancouver Canucks
88.81%​
Boston Bruins
88.69%​
San Jose Sharks
88.42%​
Ottawa Senators
88.21%​
Average
89.84%

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Just off the top of my head, Jagr scored 24 points in 21 GP and won the Cup in Pittsburgh when he was barely 20. He raised his game when Mario missed six games. I'm probably missing someone like Steve Payne or something, but 24 playoff points at that age is pretty damn impressive. Can't think of anyone else who has done that, tbh.

And you don't have to look too far or too hard to find other impressive Jagr playoff years.

My Best-Carey

Edit: 1991-92 was considered Jagr's age 19 season. His 24 playoff points are the best for that age or younger. Gretzky had 21 and Roenick 18 for next on the list for age 19 or younger.

Ignoring age, it is not close to being a great playoff, it was good for 4th in team scoring. It adds some "age relevant" value to his resume like Crosby's Art Ross win as a teenager but doesn't look good in relation to Hull's multiple team leading playoff point totals.

IMO, like OV's Cup, Jagr's 1992 run affectively removes "disappointing/underachieving" playoff legacy from the narrative.

Hull's is a bit more complicated as his individual numbers look great while his team disappointed. In comparison to other post war O6 peers like Howe, Beliveau and Richard, he falls quite short in team success/SCF appearances. How much of the team falling short cab be attributed to him, if any?

There is a bit of a similar theme to Jagr's Pens falling short but Jagr seems to get a bit more critiqued on his leadership/attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad