Value of: Jacob Trouba's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd be really tempted to do Kadri for Trouba straight up. I just dread giving you guys a top pairing of Reilly - Trouba.
No, thanks. Top pairing RD is worth more than Kadri. I am also skeptical about Kadri's personality and how he'd fit.

Reactions: Snowman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Trouba trade stuff is so hard for Jets fans. In a vacuum, Trouba is pretty much the 4th or 5th most important long term asset the Jets have.

There is guys more important to the team today like Wheeler and Buff. But there is no replacement coming in a trade for him and no one on the team that can handle his minutes without a drop off in their game.

Scheifele, Laine, Hellebuyck, maybe Morrissey? That's it, he means more than everyone else on the team (long term).

If he wants out, he wants out. But if he is willing to sign, we are better off overpaying for a guy we aren't going to be able to replace. Hopefully it all works out. Because we will get hosed in a trade given the leverage we have and how much he means to us.
Yup. Bang on.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not yet, but probably one day he will be.

Faces the toughest QOC minutes on the Jets and scores at a top 5 rate for all NHL defensemen at 5v5 per 60. He's a 1D. Only thing he doesn't get is PP time but that has more to do with the Jets coaching decisions than anything else.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Faces the toughest QOC minutes on the Jets and scores at a top 5 rate for all NHL defensemen at 5v5 per 60. He's a 1D. Only thing he doesn't get is PP time but that has more to do with the Jets coaching decisions than anything else.
Buff was the Jets #1D. Not only did he play more on the PP he played significantly more time at even strength

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

If you're using that logic then you agree Auston Matthews is a top 5 C in hockey and better than Eichel and Laine AINEC

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I havent paid much attention to whats going on with Trouba. Are they trying to trade him or is this speculation?

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
It would honestly be the best offer. What if you took those 2 1st added a piece and got Karlsson. You have the cap space to work resign him. I maintain that value is value, it just has to be spent properly.

Your saying even if the "other return" you got for Trouba was less value, but included roster players, you'd take that over Torontos package because Toronto's is just picks and prospects?
If those 2 1sts & an added piece got Karlsson why wouldn't the Leafs do it? & even if the ficton of Trouba wanting $8 were true how does the Jets cap space suddenly expand to fit in Karlsson @ $11+ (using Doughty price as Karlsson has stated he wants to be the highest paid D)?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Jets won't meet his demands and trade him as an RFA, I can teams shying away from really offering up full value here. He's looking for a long term, big $ contract, and with arbitration could just be closer to UFA status.

Still, he's worth a decent offer for what he brings when healthy.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
If you're using that logic then you agree Auston Matthews is a top 5 C in hockey and better than Eichel and Laine AINEC
Since Laine is a RW I'll agree that Matthews is a better center. Top 5 in the league @ this time is doubtful. Isn't that why the Leafs chased Tavares so relentlessly?
Better player? Time will tell.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Since Laine is a RW I'll agree that Matthews is a better center. Top 5 in the league @ this time is doubtful. Isn't that why the Leafs chased Tavares so relentlessly?
The Leafs chased after Tavares because they had to cap space to get him and Bozak and JVR were coming off the books. I'd rather have Tavares + kapanen/johnsson than JVR and Bozak.

uncleblazer

Jan 12, 2018
Dallas, Boston and Tampa also attempted to sign JT in the same manner as Toronto so in your opinion those teams don't believe in their top centers either, correct?

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
A #3 d-man (despite it statistically more like a #2 guy, but whatever), A 23 year old AHL Playoff MVP, NHL ready Top 9 forward, and a top 62 draft pick is not crap. They are legitimate assets, and quiet frankly, it's a pretty darn good offer.

All that aside, I think the Leafs & Jets make better trade partners for a Tyler Myers than a Jacob Trouba.

I also think Jake Gardiner for Tyler Myers type deal makes sense.

The Leafs need a RHD, and the Jets can use a LHD. Both upcoming UFA's. Myers makes a bit more, but that's obviously not an issue for the Leafs. (Please don't mind the pairings, both sides would probably be different, it's just to show the top 6 D as a whole for both sides)

Gardiner - Trouba
Morrissey - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Morrow

Rielly - Myers
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick
I do think, that while Winnipeg gets the better player (again, just my opinion), I think the Leafs get a terrific fit as well. Both sides win
Nevermind, I misread your post and my first part didn't make sense.

The Myers/Gardiner trade really only makes sense for Toronto. There is no reason for the Jets to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyerfan52

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Buff was the Jets #1D. Not only did he play more on the PP he played significantly more time at even strength

Trouba took on the tougher competition and scored at a higher rate 5v5 while taking on that tougher competition.
Buff played more but he took on lower quality lines on average. Trouba has the harder job. Unless you consider QBing the PP opposite Laine as a hard job.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No, you are wrong. Statistically Trouba is a top pairing D man that is far closer to a 1D than he is a 3D. I mean he is far better than Reilly and Leafs fans consider Reilly a 1D, when clearly the playoffs showed he can't handle those duties.

The Myers/Gardiner trade really only makes sense for Toronto. There is no reason for the Jets to do it.

I never said Trouba was a 3D :laugh: I was saying Gardiner was a 3D. Also, Rielly is a very clear top pairing guy.

Was hoping to have a legitimate discussion, but clearly can't with you throwing out stuff like "that's all crap" and claiming I'm wrong when it's you not reading properly :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad