Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You don't know EVERYTHING. But you know some things. Often, more than enough.

And that's often enough to see when someone else is wrong who is too close to the situation.

I understand your point but I also know I'm not a professional or an insider. I'm a fan (fanatic). I'm supposed to make mistakes. :)

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Hed have a lot of suitors at 50% retained. It’s not really debatable. Especially when you consider the actual $$$ vs aav. The team would only pay him $3mm vs a $4aav.
I assume it's better for us to trade him at 50% retained rather than buying him out, money wise? Not talking return, just money.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
right or wrong there is still some amount of "trouba is big and mean and throws big hits some times and has leadership therefor someone will value him"

The Walman deal was weird and feels like a desperation move by Yzerman or some kind of weird screwup. I don't think I'd consider that setting a standard for the market otherwise there's basically no market at all for defensemen.

Reactions: bhamill

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
8v4mh4.jpg

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Everyone, start chanting, "Buy out! Buy out! Buy out!" and also, "Delete Tob's account!" "Delete Tob's account!"

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You are muddling the waters to be obtuse.

The players often don't know what is good for them. Of course they don't want guys like Trouba gone. Many of them also didn't want DeAngelo gone.

This is often the case and the players are wrong when they feel that way a lot of the time. Probably more than not when it comes to not wanting a player to depart in free agency or trade.

The players' feelings on not wanting their buddies and co-workers shipped out should be nearly irrelevant.
How do you know they don't want Trouba gone? How do you know they didn't want D'Angelo gone? Sure they probably don't/didn't want either gone just as a pure subtraction, but to make the team better? Not the same thing. I can have a teammate that I like quite a bit, that doesn't mean I'm not perfectly fine with them being moved to make us a better team and give us a better shot at the Cup... if you think most players don't want to win the cup more than they want to buddy around with Trouba, I'd disagree with you.

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My guess is the Rangers don't buy out Trouba and lots of people here are going to be disappointed. Life doesn't always give us the things we want.

If we were to move on from Jacob though I would hope we would take a hard look at Pesce who grew up a Rangers fan I believe. Not that that's a be all end all but that guy knows how to defend and he's a right shot too.

Speaking of right shot d-men though I am looking forward to seeing how Mancini does come rookie camp and training camp. He ended the season really well in Hartford.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
My guess is the Rangers don't buy out Trouba and lots of people here are going to be disappointed. Life doesn't always give us the things we want.

If we were to move on from Jacob though I would hope we would take a hard look at Pesce who grew up a Rangers fan I believe. Not that that's a be all end all but that guy knows how to defend and he's a right shot too.

Speaking of right shot d-men though I am looking forward to seeing how Mancini does come rookie camp and training camp. He ended the season really well in Hartford.
i have unreasonably high hopes for Victor Mancini. like, comes up halfway through this coming season and never goes back down hopes.

Reactions: eco's bones

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
With Trouba I ask myself if he sucks so bad why did Rangers make him the captain?

Because before, maybe early this past season and in prior seasons, even in playoffs he made bone crushing hits.

But in this years post season his speed and skating were horrible, I can think of 2 attempted hits where he completely missed his target. Plus playoff leading 11 penalties. So he really fell apart.. How much of this is due to playing with injury?

Now that hes exposed as a potential liability, the Rangers cant get much $$ for him. Why not strip the C, put him on 4th line after his injuries heal and just let him either get better or send him to the hartford wolfpack? I guess the best question to ask is how much of his $8mm salary right now could they get someone to take on?

If half or more trade, if less than 1/2 keep and roll dice. You have to wonder wtf were they thinking to sign him for 8 mm for 6 years.

A more troubling problem is Mika bc hes paid 8.5 mm and until 2030 and seriously has no balls. He has skill but no balls. Mika and Trouba are our biggest problems imo. Mika is a f***ing 1 trick pony w the dumb 1 timer from far away. Im tired of looking at his Lynrd Skynrd haircut.

I really want them both gone. I think maybe Trouba gets moved but Mika were stuck with. He had some unlucky bounces coulda gone in but honestly he just doesnt give it 100% or hes afraid of getting hurt or something.

Ugh.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The only way you have this point of view is if you think you cannot replace Trouba with a better dman for $4M or less. I think they can.
Who is that player going to be? In theory it will probably be a 3rd pair rd that would be brought in to replace trouba, but this cannot be done just in a vacuum, the Lindgren situation also coming into play here.

Assuming Trouba is gone and Gusto isn't resigned then you figure out Lindgren and it is three options:
1. Fox's partner
2. 3rd pair
3. not resigned

Most people want to see a lhd upgrade for fox, so assuming NYR doen't want to replace half of its d core in one summer (teams RARELY do this) then you are left with:

Lindgren with Fox
NYR needs a new 3rd pairing from scratch (maybe Jones gets in?)

New lhd brought in for Fox
Lindgren on the 3rd pair with some other new d man

New lhd brought in for Fox
Lindgren on the 3rd pair with Jones (on his off side)

Who is the new partner for Fox?

Is Jones going to be planned for a 3rd pair slot next season and if so who are they targeting to be his partner? Lindgren or someone else outside of the org?

With Trouba I ask myself if he sucks so bad why did Rangers make him the captain?

Leadership is not the same as being the best player. There are a lot of stories that have gotten around about Trouba in the room.

Also, people need to remember what the team was like when he was named. If people think this group was soft this offseason at the end then they need a refresher about where the team was when Trouba was named. His C was more about his FU attitude to other teams and bringing his group/room together more than the idea of the best player being the captain. I never bought into that anyways. There is a long history of captains that lead good teams but that were not the best player on the team...

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

IMO the Rangers made a mistake naming Trouba captain.

Yes, you don't need your captain to be the best player on the ice.... but it helps if he's not a liability that you are trying to move.

The writing has been on the wall with Trouba and it became glaringly clear this season and they can no longer avoid the issue.

The problem is that they misevaluated the player. The data (that he was a complete defensive liability) was out there for everyone to see, including people like @Machinehead, and if people on a message board can see the data then I can only assume the Rangers had the data but ignored it, in favor of espousing relatively irrelevant subjective factors, like, "he makes big hits and that intimidates the other team to some level we can't really measure or justify."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad