Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Respectfully, why do we care what this team wants after the performance they just put up against Florida?
That is the only key in my mind. Is Trouba more likely to play at Oct-Nov-Dec level or at April-May level? If his play vs Florida becomes the new normal we cant keep him. I honestly do not know the answer. I have learned never to judge a player who is injured. Drury and the coaches will have to decide. Fox looked really bad playing injured as well.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
A real leader would be able to recognize when he is hurting the team and either take himself out or simplify his game to minimize the damage.

Comparing Trouba to Mark Messier is laughable and absurd.
Can you imagine Messier saying “I may be too hurt, I’m gonna sit this important game out…”? That is frankly insane. Would never happen. If Messier could hobble onto the ice with one foot he would.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I’m sure that there were many panthers who didnt want to see Huberdeau and Weegar go.

If there’s an avenue to move him, they should take it. It’s not the must do that moving Lindgren is but ideally neither are here.

If the room can’t handle that, then that says a lot about the room.

Players never want the guys that they've gone to war with "gone." Even DeAngelo had a bunch of supporters.

The players don't know what's good for them. That's why a GM needs to be unemotional and detached to an extent.

And it's also why the "I'll trust so and so's opinion over yours (the player, the coach, the GM, etc)," argument is flawed. No one is denying that the insiders have access to info that we don't, but they could also be flawed because they are too close to see the problem.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Let's hope for a bounce back, because there's a solid player in there.

There isn't a solid player in there. At least not a solid defender. In a different role, maybe he could go back to being what he was in Winnipeg, or at least more like that.

But the last 4 seasons prove it. Horrific underlying numbers.

He's bad. He was always an offense-first defenseman with mediocre defensive numbers and those numbers have cratered when he was replaced by Fox in the offense-first role and instead asked to be a defensive defenseman. He's miscast in that role because stupid coaches think big body and big hits equals good defensive play, but he's actually awful at defending.

Lindgren was probably worse this year but at least the last 3 seasons from Lindgren were solid defensively. I don't want to sink a huge contract into Lindgren either but if it were theoretically possible to get Lindgren back for below market value on a moveable contract and the coaches had the spine to separate him from Fox, you could imagine him being a plus defender again, but in a third pair role, like has has been in recent years past.

We tried that this year with Trouba and the only positive result was simply because he was not on the ice as much.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I’m sure that there were many panthers who didnt want to see Huberdeau and Weegar go.

If there’s an avenue to move him, they should take it. It’s not the must do that moving Lindgren is but ideally neither are here.

If the room can’t handle that, then that says a lot about the room.

The Panthers were also coming off a first round sweep and stories about Huberdeau and Weegar (among others) clubbing before games, different locker room situations.

I do think the locker room can take a trouba trade but when you add up all the factors working against trading him (cap implications, needing a trade partner, etc.) It just doesnt seem like something drury is going to force. I'd love for him to surprise me and find a taker though.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Respectfully, why do we care what this team wants after the performance they just put up against Florida?

They lost to a better team. I dont think it was an effort issue. Id love to trade Trouba, Im just being pragmatic about the chances of it happening.

Reactions: chosen

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Panthers were also coming off a first round sweep and stories about Huberdeau and Weegar (among others) clubbing before games, different locker room situations.

I do think the locker room can take a trouba trade but when you add up all the factors working against trading him (cap implications, needing a trade partner, etc.) It just doesnt seem like something drury is going to force. I'd love for him to surprise me and find a taker though.

Second round sweep.

The clubbing thing was a team thing that happened between games 3 and 4 (after they lost the first 3) and an attempt to blow off steam to get the team's heads off the game for a bit. They followed it up by playing their best game of the series (1-0 loss, but they kicked the shit out of Tampa in that game.)

I understand whats working against a trade and I don't expect him to be moved either, but "DURR LEADERSHIP N LOCKER ROOM!!" (you aren't saying this, we see the ones who are) are not good reasons to keep him. He isn't the only guy in the league who can provide leadership or be a good presence the locker room. You can replace those elements in the form of better players.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Very often, some fans scream lack of effort when their team loses, when 99.9% of the time, effort is in no way an issue

Yeah I mean a very vocal part of the fanbase thinks the Rangers are a soft lazy team but that really couldnt be further from the truth. No one messes with the Rangers, and the team never quits, based on its record coming from behind over the years. Florida was just better, and did well to expose our flaws (a beaten up and rattled defense that couldnt make a pass under pressure)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So, if they tried, they'd be Stanley Cup Champs!!!!

It's so simple.

You've cracked the code to winning.
very clever.

No, but, they'd have a better chance. They get outworked by every team they face. Its fine when they play against less talented teams but when they face teams with equal talent (Florida) they get wiped.

• Haha
Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Can you imagine Messier saying “I may be too hurt, I’m gonna sit this important game out…”? That is frankly insane. Would never happen. If Messier could hobble onto the ice with one foot he would.
Would he blame his injury after? If Trouba was actually injured we should all be rejoicing because that means there’s a chance that he can become at least serviceable again. But if indeed it was an injury that was causing him to be that bad then yeah, I’d expect him to sit, or at least be ok with being sat by the coach.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Guys try. Hockey players try. That is their nature. They try to suck it up. Remember McD playing like 1 shift? Zooks was skating after a brain injury to try to get back to the team if they made the finals.

Reactions: bobbop and bhamill

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
very clever.

No, but, they'd have a better chance. They get outworked by every team they face. Its fine when they play against less talented teams but when they face teams with equal talent (Florida) they get wiped.

If they were as bad as you think they are they would finish at the bottom of the standings every year.

I'm with you on what they need to fix, but they are much better than you paint them out to be.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Would he blame his injury after? If Trouba was actually injured we should all be rejoicing because that means there’s a chance that he can become at least serviceable again. But if indeed it was an injury that was causing him to be that bad then yeah, I’d expect him to sit, or at least be ok with being sat by the coach.
Moving the goalposts here. The post flat out said a “real leader” wouldn’t play hurt like Trouba did.
And Trouba also said the injury wasnt responsible for his bad play. Which I think was him minimizing it. He certainly wasn’t blaming the injury.
I’m sure not saying Trouba is the leader Mess was, just that, yes, real leaders do play hurt like that.

Guys try. Hockey players try. That is their nature. They try to suck it up. Remember McD playing like 1 shift? Zooks was skating after a brain injury to try to get back to the team if they made the finals.
Yup.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah I mean a very vocal part of the fanbase thinks the Rangers are a soft lazy team but that really couldnt be further from the truth. No one messes with the Rangers, and the team never quits, based on its record coming from behind over the years. Florida was just better, and did well to expose our flaws (a beaten up and rattled defense that couldnt make a pass under pressure)
There are different kinds of soft. If you mean they are NOT the intimidated bunch that they were in the past, I would agree with you. So they are not soft in that regard but they are soft in that they are fairly easy to play against. Guys know good or bad win or lose that some teams are nasty. That no matter what the scoreboard says you will likely feel it after the games. The Rangers are not one of those teams for the most part. Outside of an occasional Trouba or Rempe hit teams are not worried about the Rangers physically.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Moving the goalposts here. The post flat out said a “real leader” wouldn’t play hurt like Trouba did.
And Trouba also said the injury wasnt responsible for his bad play. Which I think was him minimizing it. He certainly wasn’t blaming the injury.
I’m sure not saying Trouba is the leader Mess was, just that, yes, real leaders do play hurt like that.
He kinda did blame the injury no?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He kinda did blame the injury no?
No. In interviews he answered questions admitting that his injury toward the end of the season was a broken ankle, with a bone chip. But he also went out of his way to say that it wasnt a factor in the playoffs, which seemed to me him just not wanting to use it as an excuse. He was clearly immobile. More than usual. Hahaha.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
No. In interviews he answered questions admitting that his injury toward the end of the season was a broken ankle, with a bone chip. But he also went out of his way to say that it wasnt a factor in the playoffs, which seemed to me him just not wanting to use it as an excuse. He was clearly immobile. More than usual. Hahaha.
I saw those reports. I read them as blaming the injury without blaming the injury. I’m biased though.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I’m not one of the fans that think Trouba needs to go this offseason “bc he sucks” but his ankle injury really hampered his mobility and he didn’t have a ton to begin with. For a big physical D he’s actually above average at moving the puck up ice. The reality is that he needs to be better and not just bc he makes $8M but bc the Rangers need his edgy physicality and need it in spades.

However I do think this is his last year here and he’ll be moved with 1 year left on his deal next year.

Trouba on the 3rd pair with Jones is a very solid 3rd pair and his emotion and physicality is something the team lacks. You have to think that these guys who disappointed will come back strong, they’re so close and like Miller said if they’re all 1% better they might win it all.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m not one of the fans that think Trouba needs to go this offseason “bc he sucks” but his ankle injury really hampered his mobility and he didn’t have a ton to begin with. For a big physical D he’s actually above average at moving the puck up ice. The reality is that he needs to be better and not just bc he makes $8M but bc the Rangers need his edgy physicality and need it in spades.

However I do think this is his last year here and he’ll be moved with 1 year left on his deal next year.

Trouba on the 3rd pair with Jones is a very solid 3rd pair and his emotion and physicality is something the team lacks. You have to think that these guys who disappointed will come back strong, they’re so close and like Miller said if they’re all 1% better they might win it all.

I heard the same thing after they got ousted by Tampa 2 years ago.

I think this year's team was better but those kinds of quotes are kind of meaningless. Even if they were all 1% better, they would have still lost in 6. There were flaws that some of us had been talking about all season that ended up being their undoing. No amount of being slightly better is going to change that, their weaknesses got exposed by a team that was able to capitalize on them.

On Trouba, I don't think his issues in the playoffs were really tied to his mobility. His issues were tied to him taking dumb penalties and being overly aggressive trying to knock people into 2124. These are things that have existed in his game even when he was 100% healthy.

I don't think its a necessity that they move him now (I even illustrated how he was actually... okay in the 2nd half of the season earlier in this thread. His playoffs sucked, but he also can't control how much he plays and he played too much against Florida) but if they can, they absolutely should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad