Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Captain should also be someone the league and refs respect because that's the guy who will be talking to them and influencing their decisions on the ice.

For example, when Crosby goes to a ref and complains, more often then not there's a make up call soon after.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
You actually missed my argument:
The captains generally the preeminent leaders of the team right? Of course with leadership group around him. Ok:

Oilers, McDavid: Generational, future 1st ballot HHoF

Panthers, Barkov: preeminent 2-way player in the game w/skills to go through multiple players like his last goal. Likely future HHoF

VGK, Stone: Another Preeminent 2way foward

Lightning, Stamkos: Elite player, future HHoF

Pens, Crosby: Generational, 1st ballot HHoF

94 NYR, Messier (no shit): 3rd all time points, HHoF (no shit)

All can back up their leadership in the room with their elite abilities on the ice. Trouba just can't, especially last two years/playoff runs.

Messier the best leader all-time no doubt but ask the Canucks about his leadership as his play deteriorated and they missed the playoffs all three years he was there (and his subsequent years with the NYRs). Of course that goes beyond him but leadership doesn't mean much if your play can't back it up.

Trouba's heart is in the right place but his play has become detrimental in the prominent match ups they are putting him in and he makes too much in a salary capped league to shelter him on a 3rd pair and become a glorified cheerleader.

TL,DR: Your best players need to be your leaders and your leaders need to be your best players. Unfortunately, despite his best efforts, that ain't Trouba. You can't carry a bad player just for his leadership in a capped league.
If your point is that no matter how much leadership Trouba provides, it's not worth it due to his horrible play, then I agree.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The captain is a nonsense role that is so irrelevant in every other sport that they either don't have full time captains, nobody knows who the captains are, or they have rotating captains each week yet somehow it's this mythical status in hockey.
lol mythical status

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Captain should also be someone the league and refs respect because that's the guy who will be talking to them and influencing their decisions on the ice.

For example, when Crosby goes to a ref and complains, more often then not there's a make up call soon after.

Crosby IMO is the best leader in the sport but his team hasn't made the playoffs the last two years and will be hard pressed again in 2024-25. It's not an aberration that the Pens have reach the point of mediocrity and I don't know how one would qualify or quantify Crosby's complaining to refs getting the Pens any more make up calls than any other Captain in the league or even if it were true how much it matters in the long run when his team is not very good any more.

As well it just seems to me it's your perception when you say the league and the refs respect someone or not. I'm not sure even who you mean by the league---the owners?.....the players? all of them? I'll say this if I were up against Trouba I would for real respect him----like I would respect someone like Scott Stevens or Chris Pronger.

As a last thing there is the respect of your teammates and it's not a secret that the Rangers players wanted Jacob to be their captain. I get that a lot of fans don't like Trouba and they blame him more than anyone else for the team falling short in the conference finals---though many haven't liked him before that. I'm not married to this guy. The Rangers can trade him if they want. But even if that happens we'll still need physical guys back on our blueline if we're hoping to ever win a Cup again. We're not going to win anything if we can't control play in our own end and yeah that means guys who can make a good first pass but it's still very much a combat sport and you have to win battles in the corners, behind the net and in front of the net and basically there needs to be a bit of f*** you to the other side or the best you're going to get is maybe win a series and go home like the Carolina Hurricanes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The captain is a nonsense role that is so irrelevant in every other sport that they either don't have full time captains, nobody knows who the captains are, or they have rotating captains each week yet somehow it's this mythical status in hockey.

Hockey is the classiest, most physical sport, with the best leaders in the world.

-Every boomer hockey fan

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The best players have to be captains often happens but it isn't a necessity. Sometimes the best leaders aren't captains. Sometimes the best players aren't great leaders.

Mark Stone, Gabe Landeskog, Alex Pietrangelo, Dustin Brown, Toews, were all guys that were not considered the best players on their teams.

Brian Leetch was arguably our best player but he felt the weight of being named captain was a negative.

I personally do not like coaches naming captains nor do I like multiple captains. I prefer the team vote in secret. They know best who influences a locker room imo.
If you listened to Gallant, it was the locker room that picked Trouba. The consensus from outside the locker room was Kreider or Mika. A smart coach (and GM) have their finger on the pulse of the locker room and act accordingly. I am sure they already know how they would select a Trouba replacement. This is not the time for a captain by committee.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This.

Why someone was willing to pay 100% of Goodrow’s contract.

Why (if the Rangers want to move Trouba — big if) there will be a robust market.
A real leader would be able to recognize when he is hurting the team and either take himself out or simplify his game to minimize the damage.

Comparing Trouba to Mark Messier is laughable and absurd.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
A real leader would be able to recognize when he is hurting the team and either take himself out or simplify his game to minimize the damage.

Comparing Trouba to Mark Messier is laughable and absurd.
This ain’t Lou Gehrig we’re talking about.

My educated guess is that you’ve never spent much time in a locker room or around hockey players. It isn’t how they think.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I saw somebody in a different thread wants to bring back Brady Skjei. I found it noteworthy because years ago we had Brady and this board was literally drooling over Trouba. I remember people said the Jets would never trade Trouba for Brady and a first. I thought that was silly. A year later we got Trouba for much less.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The only thing you need to know about Trouba's "leadership", is that his teammates dont want him gone. We may not think much of it, I certainly dont, but it matters to the players. And as much as Id like to move him for performance reasons, a President's trophy and an ECF run, isnt grounds to sack the captain imo, and send that shockwave through a team that doesnt really need it. Especially when he only has 2 years left and it will be worlds easier to move him next year. Let's hope for a bounce back, because there's a solid player in there.

Reactions: bobbop

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
The only thing you need to know about Trouba's "leadership", is that his teammates dont want him gone. We may not think much of it, I certainly dont, but it matters to the players. And as much as Id like to move him for performance reasons, a President's trophy and an ECF run, isnt grounds to sack the captain imo, and send that shockwave through a team that doesnt really need it. Especially when he only has 2 years left and it will be worlds easier to move him next year. Let's hope for a bounce back, because there's a solid player in there.
Respectfully, why do we care what this team wants after the performance they just put up against Florida?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I’m sure that there were many panthers who didnt want to see Huberdeau and Weegar go.

If there’s an avenue to move him, they should take it. It’s not the must do that moving Lindgren is but ideally neither are here.

If the room can’t handle that, then that says a lot about the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad