Value of: Jacob Markstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

I mean it kind of depends. Letting him go would be the height of stupidity. I'm pro rebuild. Just like I was this summer, except now it's a much longer rebuild whereas then it could have been done in 2 years.
Well no rebuild can be done in 2 years. Hell, whoever gets Bedard this year will still probably be a bottom 5 team for at least 1 more year (Anaheim or Columbus can probably start crawling out sooner since they've already been stocking up for a few years, but Chicago, or Arizona will probably be there at least 3).

I think full rebuilds are double edged swords. You can get very good players from a tank but not always a franchise changing player. Take Monahan and Bennett for example. Those were the guys we tanked for and while both eventually became full time NHLers in a top 6 role, neither was a superstar. Look at Vancouver's, Arizona's, and Buffalo's perpetual rebuilding. Then there is also the financial side to consider. I have little faith in the flames owners to ever commit to a rebuild as long as this league is gate revenue based. I'm not against rebuilds, I just understand why the Flames won't do one and adjust my ideas on what they should do to improve accordingly.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well no rebuild can be done in 2 years. Hell, whoever gets Bedard this year will still probably be a bottom 5 team for at least 1 more year (Anaheim or Columbus can probably start crawling out sooner since they've already been stocking up for a few years, but Chicago, or Arizona will probably be there at least 3).

I think full rebuilds are double edged swords. You can get very good players from a tank but not always a franchise changing player. Take Monahan and Bennett for example. Those were the guys we tanked for and while both eventually became full time NHLers in a top 6 role, neither was a superstar. Look at Vancouver's, Arizona's, and Buffalo's perpetual rebuilding. Then there is also the financial side to consider. I have little faith in the flames owners to ever commit to a rebuild as long as this league is gate revenue based. I'm not against rebuilds, I just understand why the Flames won't do one and adjust my ideas on what they should do to improve accordingly.
I wasn't saying poof you're a contender. Just that you can create your core moving forward in 2 years. FWIW, I'd trade rosters and situations with all of those teams instantly.

Ledge And Dairy

I wasn't saying poof you're a contender. Just that you can create your core moving forward in 2 years. FWIW, I'd trade rosters and situations with all of those teams instantly.
I mean sure, I would have loved to be in the Bedard sweepstakes this summer too but that was next to impossible with our roster even if we reversed the Monahan trade and Kadri signing.

I also think it takes longer than that to create a core through rebuilding. Lets take Ottawa for example. Their core is Chabot, Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, and Sanderson. They've also surrounded those players with other core like pieces in Chychrun, DeBrincat, and Giroux. My point is that Chabot and Sanderson for example are both clearly core pieces and they are 5 whole drafts apart. Look at New Jersey, part of their long term core is still developing in both Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec, meanwhile Hischier is a 2017 draft pick. Basically I am saying it probably takes around 5 years to truly draft your core. It's why I think a team like Montreal who got their 1C similar to how Ottawa got Norris (via trade but before they established themselves) still has a couple more years of drafting before they have truly built their core.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean sure, I would have loved to be in the Bedard sweepstakes this summer too but that was next to impossible with our roster even if we reversed the Monahan trade and Kadri signing.

I also think it takes longer than that to create a core through rebuilding. Lets take Ottawa for example. Their core is Chabot, Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, and Sanderson. They've also surrounded those players with other core like pieces in Chychrun, DeBrincat, and Giroux. My point is that Chabot and Sanderson for example are both clearly core pieces and they are 5 whole drafts apart. Look at New Jersey, part of their long term core is still developing in both Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec, meanwhile Hischier is a 2017 draft pick. Basically I am saying it probably takes around 5 years to truly draft your core. It's why I think a team like Montreal who got their 1C similar to how Ottawa got Norris (via trade but before they established themselves) still has a couple more years of drafting before they have truly built their core.
I mean sure. Some rebuilds take longer. I just think we had a lot of tradeable assets that most teams entering a rebuild don't. Ottawa made a terrible trade for Duchene that set them back and then got pennies on the dollar for Stone.

I think you get quite a haul for players like Hanifin, expiring Weegar, expiring Huberdeau, Backlund, Lindholm, Tanev, Toffoli ect. Our rebuild wouldn't be anywhere close to as long as a team like Ottawa.

I guess it depends on the goal. If the goal is a Stanley Cup (Which is my goal) then our current strategy is poor. Yes, the West is wide open except for Colorado. We could have conceivably gotten to the West final if we'd played to our potential. But I don't think we can beat a team like Colorado even if everything breaks perfectly.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the Leafs don't keep Murray and Sammy this summer, I could see the Leafs making a trade for Markstrom with at least 25% retained.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad