Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He is not good and I don't get what others see in him.

Even for a bottom pairing defenceman he doesn't do anything well.
At the midpoint of the season I remember posting that I was disappointed that JBD just didn’t seem to have what it takes to be NHL player. Decision-making was too slow, too many pucks up the boards to an opponent waiting, etc.

I thought the last 25% of the season (or so) he was finally putting it together and looked like a serviceable bottom pair RHD, even if he found himself up the lineup at times due to injury. Probably a combination of the game slowing down for a bit and the Martin effect with better support in the forwards giving him outlet options more often than not. But he also looked more calm and composed with the puck and even showed some elusiveness at times, which wasn’t something I noticed before.

Gives me hope he will continue to progress to the level of a good third line D on a good team, so I’m not sure I would toss him yet (not that you suggested this). There are other areas that desperately need to be addressed, JBD will not cost extra $$.

R2010

May 23, 2011
At the midpoint of the season I remember posting that I was disappointed that JBD just didn’t seem to have what it takes to be NHL player. Decision-making was too slow, too many pucks up the boards to an opponent waiting, etc.

I thought the last 25% of the season (or so) he was finally putting it together and looked like a serviceable bottom pair RHD, even if he found himself up the lineup at times due to injury. Probably a combination of the game slowing down for a bit and the Martin effect with better support in the forwards giving him outlet options more often than not. But he also looked more calm and composed with the puck and even showed some elusiveness at times, which wasn’t something I noticed before.

Gives me hope he will continue to progress to the level of a good third line D on a good team, so I’m not sure I would toss him yet (not that you suggested this). There are other areas that desperately need to be addressed, JBD will not cost extra $$.

I think if we let him go he'll play in a top six somewhere. If Andreas Englund can play for a playoff team than JBD will. He's good enough to be a #6.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I think he's borderline bust territory.

Passing on Kandre Miller is a bad mistake

Another Dorion blunder

Sure. But at the time it was good value on a trade back. We just picked the wrong players.

Defensive options we had on the board at #26 before #48:
[28] Nils Lundkvist;
[29] Rasmus Sandin;
[32] Mattias Samuelsson;
[38] Alexander Romanov;
[46] Martin Fehervary;

Options we had on the board in the 2nd round after #48:
[49] Kirill Marchenko;
[52] Sean Durzi;
[53] Calen Addison;
[55] Kevin Bahl;
[60] David Gustavsson;

Leafs did the exact same thing as us and ended up with Sandin & Durzi...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sure. But at the time it was good value on a trade back. We just picked the wrong players.

Defensive options we had on the board at #26 before #48:
[28] Nils Lundkvist;
[29] Rasmus Sandin;
[32] Mattias Samuelsson;
[38] Alexander Romanov;
[46] Martin Fehervary;

Options we had on the board in the 2nd round after #48:
[49] Kirill Marchenko;
[52] Sean Durzi;
[53] Calen Addison;
[55] Kevin Bahl;
[60] David Gustavsson;

Leafs did the exact same thing as us and ended up with Sandin & Durzi...
Very good value if you were racist. What other reason is there to take those players over a two way 6’5” top 4 dman?

Yes I knew at the time. Yes Miller is who I would have taken and who I wanted and was expecting us to take. Before you say “retrospect “. Terrible drafting again.

Reactions: Cosmix

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well, he’s getting paid $805k. The expectation for some is that we find a decent/good defender to play on the bottom pair and of course pay them less than 1 million. Easy to say, but tougher to actually do.

Reactions: dpw

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD led the team in blocked shots in his first full season with the team, he also showed some ability to get the puck out & get the puck on net offensively. I expect that he will continue to improve as he matures & gets physically bigger & stronger to be able to win more board battles & clear the front of his net. I view him as a good reliable defensive defenceman that should help this team reduce their goals against & block more shots. He has already passed Hamonic for that last RD spot.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sens had a thin prospect pool were short on picks due to previous trades. They got good value to move down, which says that the Rangers likely had Miller very high.

With the benefit of hindsight Miller isn't even available in that spot.

Trading down also doesn't mean that the Senators didn't have Miller as the BPA at that spot. Teams sometimes have tiers of guys who are close together, or a few different options where they know they will get one.

If you go back to the 2015 draft, the Leafs offered Columbus 4 for 8, 34, 38, and 58. Columbus seemingly didn't take it because they seemed to indicate in the draft video that they had a good chance at getting one of the D at 8. So not trading up didn't mean they had Werenski higher than Hanifin, only that it wasn't worth burning those assets to get the BPA when their choice at 8 would fill a similar organizational need.ecen of inferior.

Sens clearly wanted to get a 1st round tier D but also needed to maximize assets. Dorion was still trying to trade back from the JBD position but got boxed in where Mann didn't want him to move back because they would risk dropping another tier..

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
It be such a classic Sens move to give up on JBD. Our team is one of the most short sighted visions in league.

. The amount of players we've given up on that turned to be players, as one mentioned, Englund. Remember how he sucked and would never play an NHL game. Turns out he's a pretty good 6/7 d-man. Who knew?! Stefan Noesen, remember that bum and bust of a pick? Boucher is our modern version of Noesen btw. You all throw him under the bus, but he will be a player in this league.

I'd go on on this list of players, but I see no need to relish in disappointment. Especially when this boards full of negative minded people who couldn't enjoy the sun on a beach, because one clouds covering the sky for the two minutes you've arrived, and couldn't sit still those two minutes till it passed back into the blue sky.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It be such a classic Sens move to give up on JBD. Our team is one of the most short sighted visions in league.

. The amount of players we've given up on that turned to be players, as one mentioned, Englund. Remember how he sucked and would never play an NHL game. Turns out he's a pretty good 6/7 d-man. Who knew?! Stefan Noesen, remember that bum and bust of a pick? Boucher is our modern version of Noesen btw. You all throw him under the bus, but he will be a player in this league.

I'd go on on this list of players, but I see no need to relish in disappointment. Especially when this boards full of negative minded people who couldn't enjoy the sun on a beach, because one clouds covering the sky for the two minutes you've arrived, and couldn't sit still those two minutes till it passed back into the blue sky.

JBD was on waivers and no claimed him - not even San Jose

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
JBD was on waivers and no claimed him - not even San Jose

So, Hoffman was on waivers, noone claimed him, then became a stud. The list of waiver clearance players who become quality NHLers is near infinite. Terrible rebuttal is terrible

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So, Hoffman was on waivers, noone claimed him, then became a stud. The list of waiver clearance players who become quality NHLers is near infinite. Terrible rebuttal is terrible

I understand now, you think Mike Hoffmann is a stud

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You think he wasnt a stud for years? You prove the point our fanbase and team has the memory and foresight of a fish

crapping on your own fanbase to defend the honour of Mike Hoffman is why the internet was invented because no one would be listening to you otherwise

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
crapping on your own fanbase to defend the honour of Mike Hoffman is why the internet was invented because no one would be listening to you otherwise

Oh look, captain gaslight is speaking. Bruh, you keep proving my point. I'm sorry your life is miserable and you need to feed negativity and shit over our players.

JBD is our player and he's developing nicely. That's great, yet on this board our team shits all over him. But yeah, keep on keeping on the negative Nancy train.

I mean this thread was bumped needlessly to Dump on the guy that's improving every game. It's ridiculous

Reactions: Mars

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Because waiting for a player to turn 28 to turn into a marginal NHL D men, carrying through all though years and not exposing them to waivers just is not good asset management. nor waiting, investing in a guy until he is 30 to finally produce is not great management. Noesen is on his 6th team for a erason.

For every player like that I can give you 20 players we had that did not pan out. Even if you knew which of the 20 off the start, are you prepared to hold that spot for 10 years? Its the nature of the game.

Each team is allowed 50 contract spots only. Each team can carry max 23 players on the roster. There comes a point with every team that they have a number of players not progressing some have to go.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Oh look, captain gaslight is speaking. Bruh, you keep proving my point. I'm sorry your life is miserable and you need to feed negativity and shit over our players.

JBD is our player and he's developing nicely. That's great, yet on this board our team shits all over him. But yeah, keep on keeping on the negative Nancy train.

I mean this thread was bumped needlessly to Dump on the guy that's improving every game. It's ridiculous

You made up an imaginary scenario where the Sens trade JBD and he becomes the next Anton Volchenkov to get yourself and mad at the fanbase for a move that never existed, and you did this to defend Hoffman and JBD.

go buy yourself a IBD jersey and you can tell this story for the rest of your life to anyone who cares to listen being berated by you for being a fan

• Haha
Reactions: Sensatauro

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
You made up an imaginary scenario where the Sens trade JBD and he becomes the next Anton Volchenkov to get yourself and mad at the fanbase for a move that never existed, and you did this to defend Hoffman and JBD.

go buy yourself a IBD jersey and you can tell this story for the rest of your life to anyone who cares to listen being berated by you for being a fan
The only one making anything up here is you. You keep proving my point. I never made a trade claim. I didn't defend Hoffman. I used him as an example of a player every team passed on in 2013 before going on to score 20-36 for the next 6 seasons. Which you replied to me saying I was an idiot thinking he was ever a stud. 6 straight years of over 20 goals is a stud of a player in the league.

Look how mad you are, because you know you're an angry bird and want to deflect. You keep digging though mate. You're a true happy fella. Sorry you work jobs you don't like and stuck in misery. You too can choose happiness. But by your lack of reading comprehension I'm gonna guess that you won't. It's too bad. We got some great times ahead.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Because waiting for a player to turn 28 to turn into a marginal NHL D men, carrying through all though years and not exposing them to waivers just is not good asset management. nor waiting, investing in a guy until he is 30 to finally produce is not great management. Noesen is on his 6th team for a erason.

For every player like that I can give you 20 players we had that did not pan out. Even if you knew which of the 20 off the start, are you prepared to hold that spot for 10 years? Its the nature of the game.

Each team is allowed 50 contract spots only. Each team can carry max 23 players on the roster. There comes a point with every team that they have a number of players not progressing some have to go.
Very true, and great points. The sens though have a much higher percentage of giving up on players then most. We traded zibby for Brassard ffs. Our list of guys we quit on is long. Bad management was a big reason. Fortunately we've got some solid leadership being created and better times are coming.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Very true, and great points. The sens though have a much higher percentage of giving up on players then most. We traded zibby for Brassard ffs. Our list of guys we quit on is long. Bad management was a big reason.
There can be reasons. Zibby was not given up on, he was a solid 50 point player, but the team wanted to make the next step up. The following season Ottawa did get to within 1 goal of the Stanley Cup finals, to me thats a hockey trade.

Overall though I believe because Ottawa has largely been a non contender for 15 years now they have stockpiled younger players with better than average draft picks and not been trading them away for a shot at the cup (with an obvious few exceptions), there are simply more examples. Look at Vegas, they have traded the majority of the first round picks, Suzuki, Glass, Brannstrom, Krebs and Dean. They did not give up on those players, they just built to win a cup. And realistically other than Suzuki they obviously traded high on those players. If they hung onto them, they would not be near as a good a team and likely would be losing some to waivers or contract situations.

Also there is the familiarity aspect. Every teams fan probably think they are the worst at this because they do not know other teams fringe prospects that may have made it 6 years down the road.

Reactions: Sensatauro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad