Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Sean Monahan 5x5.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Monahan is very good on power play and penalty kill , hes 6ft 4 200 lbs … he will be good for 60 plus points a season , allows them to not thrust Fantilli into #1 role right away. Allows us to be be more patient with Lindstrom , and lastly , no more putting Boone out in overtime only to lose the faceoff , and get burnt while he’s trying to line change .. KUDOS to DON , he did in weeks what Jarmo couldn’t do since PLD LEFT

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Laine played with Jenner before worse d-men (first pass) and despite his injuries, he had 1PPG. He had a 0.94 average on the next season, the best on the team, with Roslovic who is a worse center than Jenner. And again, despite the injuries.

Show me a playmaker in his lines? He played worse with Gaudreau and only few games with Johnson.
Still, he had great stats playing 5v5 in 2012/22 and 2022/23, especially the latter.

And we're defending Gaudreau here.

Btw, if these "analysts" watched Columbus, they would see that he plays better without a playmaker.

---

I would understand Monahan with 2 season, but not 5. Of course I am not against salary, know our problems.
I get it
You are a fan of Laine
No problem there
Bottom line is the team still sucked with Laine
If GMDW wants to move some players to move the team forward then I’m all for it
I root for the name on the front of the jersey
The team has sucked while Johnny is here too
If the moves GMDW are making shakes the team up and starts winning I’ll be thrilled no matter who is on the team
I will withhold judgement on roster changes and construction until we get to see the team on the ice
For now, I say let GMDW make the moves he wants, we can begin to judge the results beginning in October

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Laine played with Jenner before worse d-men (first pass) and despite his injuries, he had 1PPG. He had a 0.94 average on the next season, the best on the team, with Roslovic who is a worse center than Jenner. And again, despite the injuries.
the difference here is that laine's shot makes him a prolific scorer from distance, which defenders have to account for. that line also had nyquist, who was great at retrievals. that line could run through patty, and jenner could be a passenger and just drive to the net every time they got the zone.

gaudreau is not a threat to score from distance. he needs to play with other skill guys who can handle the puck and play off the rush. when he does, he's great at executing give-and-gos, which puts him and his linemates in more dangerous scoring areas with the puck. that's not jenner's game at all.

I would understand Monahan with 2 season, but not 5. Of course I am not against salary, know our problems.
if the jackets could've gotten him for two seasons instead of five, i'm sure they would have.

monahan for 2 seasons is better than monahan for 5 seasons. monahan for 5 seasons is better than monahan for 0 seasons.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It all depends on his health and how he fits into the room.
I'm going to look at a portion of the contract-say $1.5m/yr-as an overpayment that should be looked at as a premium on Gaudreau's contract.

Gaudreau's amost $10 million/year deal is shaping up to be an awful deal based on his first two years here and the team is stuck with him. A strategy to jump start him which incurs some overpayment to another piece is a risk, but one that could very well be a prudent gamble. Or not:laugh:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I get it
You are a fan of Laine
No problem there
Bottom line is the team still sucked with Laine
If GMDW wants to move some players to move the team forward then I’m all for it
I root for the name on the front of the jersey
The team has sucked while Johnny is here too
If the moves GMDW are making shakes the team up and starts winning I’ll be thrilled no matter who is on the team
I will withhold judgement on roster changes and construction until we get to see the team on the ice
For now, I say let GMDW make the moves he wants, we can begin to judge the results beginning in October
It has nothing to do with the fact that I like him as a player. Johnny is dependent on his partners, that's why we are looking for players for him, we are even giving his probably new teammate too many years (if he had 2-3 seasons, I won't say anything). And at the same time, most are making excuses for him.

To compare it would be unfair. An experienced coach will come in, the defense will be better, which will change the playing field.

By the way, there was also a reaction about how Laine "needs" playmakers, since you mentioned it in your comment.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Free agency is where you end up having to swallow a little bit on the money and term so I'm glad we didn't end up making it a total boat anchor contract. 5 years tougher but probably had to eat that to not eat more money. Has the potential to be a decent interim investment without totally cap strapping us.

Trying to not look at this signing in a bubble

Reactions: Fred Glover

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
It has nothing to do with the fact that I like him as a player. Johnny is dependent on his partners, that's why we are looking for players for him, we are even giving his probably new teammate too many years (if he had 2-3 seasons, I won't say anything). And at the same time, most are making excuses for him.

To compare it would be unfair. An experienced coach will come in, the defense will be better, which will change the playing field.

By the way, there was also a reaction about how Laine "needs" playmakers, since you mentioned it in your comment.
Be assured I am not making excuses
For whatever reason the roster hasn’t resulted in a winning team,
The Laine comment about needing playmakers illustrates the point that players need other players to complement their skills, aka chemistry
You are spot on, this signing hopefully gets JG going
And if Laine goes to another team hopefully that will get him going to maximize his skill set

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Be assured I am not making excuses
For whatever reason the roster hasn’t resulted in a winning team,
The Laine comment about needing playmakers illustrates the point that players need other players to complement their skills, aka chemistry
You are spot on, this signing hopefully gets JG going
And if Laine goes to another team hopefully that will get him going to maximize his skill set
The only problem I have with Monahan is the length of his contract. If he gets 2-3 years, O.K, no problems.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
gaudreau is not a threat to score from distance. he needs to play with other skill guys who can handle the puck and play off the rush. when he does, he's great at executing give-and-gos, which puts him and his linemates in more dangerous scoring areas with the puck. that's not jenner's game at all.

To me it has always looked like Gaudreau wants to serve tip ins, and maybe Monahan will know well to crash the net to capitalize on those plays. At least the roles should be clear. I think it's one of the reasons why Gaudreau and Laine didn't click that well. Laine is dangerous from distance and there is less resistance at distance so playing him the puck outside of the slot is a good play. But not something Gaudreau is used to looking for, he defaults to look for open sticks in the crease.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
The only problem I have with Monahan is the length of his contract. If he gets 2-3 years, O.K, no problems.
He probably isn’t signing for 2-3 years
That is why they call it negotiations
Perhaps he wanted 7 years at seven million per season
Maybe the Jackets originally offered three years at a lower number
They settled on what is now agreed to
I hope and pray it works out for both sides but ultimately I hope it works out well for the Jackets

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
If we only offer 2-3 years we probably don't get the player.
not at 29...I don't think he would take less than 4. He will be 34 when the contract ends. Everyone is slamming it but I saw many contracts ending at 38-40 today being considered great deals. We are in a different timeline than all these other teams but they are looking at it like we are in a playoff window. No this is a slide to the next generation.

Right now my concern is the lack of defensive left handed dman while remaining are offensive puck movers. But I am not ready to burn the guy at the stake when he's been here less than 45 days.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Some " recent " highlights of Monahan

I know hockey players aren't the most exciting, but holy monotone interview

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
People here seem to think we were competing against ourselves in negotiations. We know the Jets were still trying to sign him and I am confident there were other suitors as well. Thus...we had to make him the best offer.

And I couldn't give two squats what the main boards think. None of them are GMs above the EA Sports level. We know what our team needs better than all those wanna-be GMs. We needed help at center in the top six, DW got top six center help. The contract doesn't take us into his social security years like most UFA contracts. Honestly the more I think about this contract the more I like it.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
The contract is definitely too long, but this smells like a move designed to solve multiple problems which is why I think Don was willing to pay so much for this puzzle piece. 1st, This moves Jenner to wing and improves his game a ton vs his contribution at center. Second, this should take pressure of Fantilli and Sillinger as well as push Lindstrom back to Junior unless he literally breaks down the door on the team. Third, this should dramatically improve both our face offs and powerplay both of which have been major weaknesses for years at this point. Fourth, this would hopefully breath new life into Laine if he stays (Power Play) as well as Johnny Hockey (who is probably the only reason Monahan came to CBJ). If Monahan is able to do the above this is easily worth the contract $ number and if the worst should happen the reality is Monahan will end up on LTIR and not count against the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad