Proposal: Jackets - Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Mathews does not get you McD

Duh.

No kidding.

I hadn't suggested it would.

I don't think the Leafs would trade Matthews for any other player, unless it were a complete and utter overpayment such as Matthews straight-up for McDavid.

For the slow learners in the room, that exchange is too one-sided in favour of the Leafs and would not happen.

Didn't think I would have to spell that out, but there you go.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Please remember this is a hypothetical thread, and I am not advocating this deal to take place, this is a discussion.

I think it would be interesting considering Columbus missing a #1 C and having some good pieces on the back end, and the Leafs having C depth and needing other pieces. So I came up with this.

Leafs:
Werenski
Dubois

Jackets:
Matthews

Logic: Jackets get their RyJo replacement

Leafs get a potential top pairing (shall I say #1 D) and another potential #1 C. Risk is here for the leafs, but they address a big need in their prospect pool.

Who would add here in this hypothetical scenario, or is this even?

who is our C depth?

in terms of value i dont think its THAT bad.... but no

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
**** NO.

What is this garbage? We've waited a decade for a franchise C, we're not just giving it away.

OP is an embarrassment to all Leafs fans.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Please remember this is a hypothetical thread, and I am not advocating this deal to take place, this is a discussion.

I think it would be interesting considering Columbus missing a #1 C and having some good pieces on the back end, and the Leafs having C depth and needing other pieces. So I came up with this.

Leafs:
Werenski
Dubois

Jackets:
Matthews

Leafs get a potential top pairing (shall I say #1 D) and another potential #1 C. Risk is here for the leafs, but they address a big need in their prospect pool.

I've not been involved in any discussions for quite some time because it's the off season and things never play out. However, I'll bite on this one.

First, kudos to OP for presenting a curious and well phrased consideration. One doesn't have to agree with the end result, but it's hard to argue the idea behind it.

Second, close, but no cigar with respect to the return. Whilst the two players in return are very valuable, Matthews has more to offer as a #1 C than the combined value of the pair.

Third, this being said while believing that Nylander will become an elite player in the league, and perhaps as a C.

Four, if Columbus were to add their #1 pick in the 17 draft I believe the value would be closer. I don't see them finishing above 20th and two top 10 picks for the Leafs...tempting.

To the OP, I think a quality question was asked and while I'd demand more, you've tweaked my interest and I look forward to the comments of others.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This would basically be us betting on the idea that Matthews is going to take off in the NHL immediately and thus get us some short-term gain at the price of some potential long-term gain.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure if that's a risk I'd be happy to take, since we've bet quite a lot on this "have a killer blueline" strategy and I want to see where that goes.

Oh, and it should go without saying that there's no way in hell Toronto goes for this. :)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so surefire #1C and potential face of the franchise for a guy who may be a top pairing dman, and a guy who may be a 1st liner?

yeah no chance. leafs pass quite easily. players like this dont get moved ever. leafs waited a decade to get a guy like matthews, they arent trading him away that easily

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
CBJ fan, already posted my opinion above, but wanted to add that I don't think Toronto moves Matthews in any trade where he is the best piece. Think of pieces which are better than Matthews. Those are the only plausible trades for him, and even then it's not a guarantee.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think Columbus would give up a potential #1D + potential #1C/LW for a potential franchise #1C.

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015

Leafs:
Werenski
Dubois

Jackets:
Matthews

Hard pass.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I have a lot of confidence in all three of these players.

I see Matthews as an all-around 75 pt type of center (like Kopitar).
I see Dubois as a 60 pt type of center with a great D game (like Bergeron, but a bit behind).
I see Werenski as a Norris type of D (like Doughty).

Might not get another shot at drafting one for 20 years.

I agree, the Leafs might not get to draft a Werenski-quality D for a generation. :laugh: (I'm serious).

Secondly I can't see too many players lining up to play with Werenski on our second pair and Dubois on our third line. At the very least a developed Matthews can help the Leafs land good players from free agency.

At the very least? Saying that Matthews is "at the very least" going to be luring in good players, who'll sign for less just to play with him, is a really big claim.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
CBJ fan, already posted my opinion above, but wanted to add that I don't think Toronto moves Matthews in any trade where he is the best piece. Think of pieces which are better than Matthews. Those are the only plausible trades for him, and even then it's not a guarantee.

they would need another young franchise C, one that is an even bigger name than matthews. he would need to have some connection to the leafs as well.

so that leaves mcdavid....that is literally it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad