Proposal: Jackets - Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
That particular rumour interested me because Strome and the 7th pick are very high quality pieces (Strome rated 2 spots behind Matthews on Pronman's list), Dvorak could be, and Fischer & #20 are good enough to be valuable in trade ups or to swap for things we need like RHD prospects. If those pieces all turn out, TML definitely wins that deal and Strome is a bonafide #1 Centre

It seemed in the realm of a "ridiculous overpayment" to me, which is the only scenario I want to deal Matthews in

Pronman listed out tiers though. There's a big difference between Matthews and Strome IMO.
Laine/Matthews
Pulj
4-14 or something
15+ gradual decrease

But I don't think that deal would be good for Arizona, I think using those assets like you said to upgrade in other positions would be better.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
On ice value I take Matthews. While Werenski is good but no one is touting him as generational. Dubois is also great but would be our 3rd best prospect behind bith Marner and Nylander.

Off ice neither of those players are even remotely close to the marketing value of Matthews.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
On ice value I take Matthews. While Werenski is good but no one is touting him as generational. Dubois is also great but would be our 3rd best prospect behind bith Marner and Nylander.

Off ice neither of those players are even remotely close to the marketing value of Matthews.
Because Toronto of all places needs a player with high marketing value... Lol.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Honestly, ez no from Columbus. Absolutely no way they do this. They are high on pld and Werenski looks like a beast in the making. And no Matthews is not generational talent, as much as the media have been saying, hes not. They prob have been saying that just to attract an audience and drive in revenue. Hes not worth both players. Hes still a great player to build a franchise around. I think he can become a Kopitar type of player.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
No from me. The value of a franchise level C can't be overstated and Matthews projects to be that guy right now. Dubois could be turn out to be one sure, but I like Matthews' odds much more. Having that elite #1C to build around at the start of a rebuild is priority #1 because that's the common component you see in most cup winning teams. No interest in losing the chance even for a massive overpayment because you're going to need one to get you over the top with the parity in the league today. Might not get another shot at drafting one for 20 years.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Because Toronto of all places needs a player with high marketing value... Lol.

Well for one thing I am pretty sure they like to make money, so thats one thing. Secondly I can't see too many players lining up to play with Werenski on our second pair and Dubois on our third line. At the very least a developed Matthews can help the Leafs land good players from free agency.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Pronman listed out tiers though. There's a big difference between Matthews and Strome IMO.
Laine/Matthews
Pulj
4-14 or something
15+ gradual decrease

But I don't think that deal would be good for Arizona, I think using those assets like you said to upgrade in other positions would be better.

ya for sure, I'll acknowledge that Strome is 2 tiers behind Matthews, just don't think the value gap between them is Dvorak+Fisher+Keller/Nylander/Sergachev (available with the 7th) + Gauthier/Rubtsov/Jones (available with the 20th). That was my point, the only deal I want Matthews in is one where the whole hockey world is stunned that the other team would do

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Someone would need personal protection to defend trading away Matthews before he's even played a game, unless it's straight-up for McDavid.

Straight up for macdavid ? Couldnt you add a teensy weensy little bit ? lol

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Well for one thing I am pretty sure they like to make money, so thats one thing. Secondly I can't see too many players lining up to play with Werenski on our second pair and Dubois on our third line. At the very least a developed Matthews can help the Leafs land good players from free agency.
Toronto is going to make money no matter what happens. They've been terrible for how long, and have gone how long without a cup, and STILL top the league in terms of value and revenue. I think Toronto will fair just fine no matter who plays on their team.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Toronto is going to make money no matter what happens. They've been terrible for how long, and have gone how long without a cup, and STILL top the league in terms of value and revenue. I think Toronto will fair just fine no matter who plays on their team.

Financially MLSE will always be alright, but for the first time in a long time, last year they were bumped from being the most valuable franchise and the TV ratings dipped - the AHL ratings and ticket sales were way up. There is too much demand for hockey in this city for the NHL team not to survive, but continuing to suck seems like its finally having some financial consequences. It also looks like we won't suck for that much longer

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
From a CBJ perspective, I would do it. Value is high but you can't underestimate having a face of the franchise like Matthews.

On the Toronto side, I would not do it. Value is high but you can't underestimate having a face of the franchise like Matthews.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Financially MLSE will always be alright, but for the first time in a long time, last year they were bumped from being the most valuable franchise and the TV ratings dipped - the AHL ratings and ticket sales were way up. There is too much demand for hockey in this city for the NHL team not to survive, but continuing to suck seems like its finally having some financial consequences. It also looks like we won't suck for that much longer

Yup I have always said they won't make the right changes until the see their cash cow losing weight.

Its awesome that they made the changes but also makes me mad that they didn't take it seriously until their profits shrunk.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yup I have always said they won't make the right changes until the see their cash cow losing weight.

Its awesome that they made the changes but also makes me mad that they didn't take it seriously until their profits shrunk.

I think the changes were already starting when the financial impact was felt, but only by like a year.

There was a point in I think 2007-2008 just before the trade deadline that there was rumours that they had made deals to ship out Sundin, Kaberle and Kubina for prospects and picks, but that all 3 invoked their NMC's. I thought they finally had a rebuild started, or at least a rebuild mentality, but then a change of management a few years later and the retool mentality came around again....then another decade of waiting

Anyway, we're finally where we should be, and the next decade finally looks bright

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Every year people say it would take massive overpayment to get Edmonton's #1 overall... except this year.

Leafs don't entertain anything barring any insanely ridiculous overpayment.
Leafs are NOT trading their hopefully future franchise centre.

As a rebuilding team, there are only 2 teams that can get Matthews. Oilers and Buffalo.

Anyone that says the leafs would do OP's deal or even add have no idea what they're talking about

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i think a lot of people (toronto fans included, surprising) are undervaluing matthews. this deal would never happen anyway, but in terms of value i can guarantee toronto wouldn't bite

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Randy has already explained this pretty well but further more MLSE is a business and I am sure they would rather make more money than less money. The reality is Matthews , the Leafs first overall pick and the first time that has happened in almost 30 years and a possible generational player has much more of an opportunity to make MLSE more money.

All of this is secondary anyway as I have explained Matthews is needed in Toronto more than Werenski and Dubois.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
in a deal for Werenski, which is probably the main piece Toronto would be looking for, we would be far more likely to move Marner/Nylander in a deal for Werenski then Mathews. obviously Dubois would no longer be involved, but not going to speculate on who adds what to even out the value of the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad