Proposal: Jackets - Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Please remember this is a hypothetical thread, and I am not advocating this deal to take place, this is a discussion.

I think it would be interesting considering Columbus missing a #1 C and having some good pieces on the back end, and the Leafs having C depth and needing other pieces. So I came up with this.

Leafs:
Werenski
Dubois

Jackets:
Matthews

Logic: Jackets get their RyJo replacement

Leafs get a potential top pairing (shall I say #1 D) and another potential #1 C. Risk is here for the leafs, but they address a big need in their prospect pool.

Who would add here in this hypothetical scenario, or is this even?

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
The Leafs have needed a franchise C for much too long to take a risk like this. If Matthews were picked by a team other than Toronto I could see them making this trade.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I guess I don't hate it from a leafs perspective, but if Matthews turns out and Dubois doesn't, we hate ourselves for doing this even if Werenski turns out. Franchise to Near-Generational centres with size are hard to find - just did a quick look at the top 20 Centres in the NHL last year by points, only Pavelski, Bergeron, Krejci and O'Reilly were taken outside of the 1st round and none are over 6'1". For defensemen, 13 of 20 of the top point producers were from outside of the first round and two were UDFA's

Not trying to diminish the value of a top defenseman, I think I would just rather throw lots of picks at them and see what sticks rather than trade away the golden egg

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Please remember this is a hypothetical thread, and I am not advocating this deal to take place, this is a discussion.

I think it would be interesting considering Columbus missing a #1 C and having some good pieces on the back end, and the Leafs having C depth and needing other pieces. So I came up with this.

Leafs:
Werenski
Dubois

Jackets:
Matthews

Logic: Jackets get their RyJo replacement

Leafs get a potential top pairing (shall I say #1 D) and another potential #1 C. Risk is here for the leafs, but they address a big need in their prospect pool.

Who would add here in this hypothetical scenario, or is this even?

As a Columbus fan I'd rather have Werenski and Dubois than Matthews (as great as he is). I'll take a top pair defenseman (hopefully) and a #1/#2 center (hopefully) over a #1 center.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Value is there but we have a near surefire number one center. We have a guy who is comparable able to werenski ceiling (in rielly) and Dubois is no surefire bet for a top line player let alone center. The value isn't bad but I'd rather keep Matthews and I'm sure other team fans would do the same if thry were in our position.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
No from Toronto.

It might get more consideration if Werenski were a right shot, but we already have Rielly and Gardiner on the left side.

We need an elite C like Matthews down the middle.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I guess the Leafs could always wait another generation or two three for a dominant #1 centre.

Leafs Nation is a patient bunch. Why would it expect the Messiah to come any time soon, when we could have a couple of very good but still inferior players instead?

Who needs all that high-ceiling big-potential first-overall-pick mumbo-jumbo anyway?

Then if Dubois doesn't work out (as Matthews might not work out either) the Leafs could probably turn him into a couple of seconds, or something.

Go for it, Bro! See what happens!

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Someone would need personal protection to defend trading away Matthews before he's even played a game, unless it's straight-up for McDavid.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nope.

Teams simply don't trade #1 centres unless they've got major attitude/off ice issues.

It has to be a disgusting overpayment

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There was a rumour at one point between the lottery and the draft (no idea if the source was credible) that Arizona might be considering Strome+Dvorak+Fischer+7th pick+20th pick and that made me take notice, not sure if this is in the same level of overpayment that would be required to pry Matthews away

That trade rumour is referenced here, may have been a hypothetical posed by Coyotes fans: http://arizonasports.com/story/649859/nhl-draft-coyotes-should-trade-up-auston-matthews/

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
There was a rumour at one point between the lottery and the draft (no idea if the source was credible) that Arizona might be considering Strome+Dvorak+Fischer+7th pick+20th pick and that made me take notice, not sure if this is in the same level of overpayment that would be required to pry Matthews away

That trade rumour is referenced here, may have been a hypothetical posed by Coyotes fans: http://arizonasports.com/story/649859/nhl-draft-coyotes-should-trade-up-auston-matthews/

At some point, there is just too much depth. I have no idea where all of Dvorak, Strome, Marner, Nylander, future draft picks would all play. Quality>Quantity.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
At some point, there is just too much depth. I have no idea where all of Dvorak, Strome, Marner, Nylander, future draft picks would all play. Quality>Quantity.

That particular rumour interested me because Strome and the 7th pick are very high quality pieces (Strome rated 2 spots behind Matthews on Pronman's list), Dvorak could be, and Fischer & #20 are good enough to be valuable in trade ups or to swap for things we need like RHD prospects. If those pieces all turn out, TML definitely wins that deal and Strome is a bonafide #1 Centre

It seemed in the realm of a "ridiculous overpayment" to me, which is the only scenario I want to deal Matthews in

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I would give a hypothetical no. With no real explanation either because it's hypothetical.

Let me know when you're prepared to get back to the real world.

Mad Brills*

not trading matthews unless he's part of a package for eichel or mcdavid.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I'm not big on Dubois. I'm big on Werenski though (I'd take him over Provorov).

While we do have a major need for Weresnki, I don't want to take the risk of not having an elite 1C. I don't think Dubois is going to become a full-fledge elite C and that's what Toronto needs even more than a top pairing RHD right now.

In terms of value, Toronto takes this easily. But in terms of team needs, we don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad