Confirmed with Link: Jackets hire Dean Evason as head coach

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
In regards to assistants, the quote “allowed to bring in one or two guys” sticks out to me. Nowhere does it say or imply firing or replacing anyone, just bringing in.

I think McCarthy, Recchi, and Boll are safe

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In regards to assistants, the quote “allowed to bring in one or two guys” sticks out to me. Nowhere does it say or imply firing or replacing anyone, just bringing in.

I think McCarthy, Recchi, and Boll are safe
I think two guys would involve replacing one, since it was mentioned in the context of Boumedienne having already left.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
He was the guy that was there when Mobley and Mitchell arrived. Any coach should have won with them.
Then let's hope that we are saying in 3-4 years that Evason was just the guy who is here when Lidstrom, Mateychuk, a healthy Fantilli, Jiricek, Monahan, etc. arrived. Also hope for same lament "Any coach should have won with them...:cool:

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Then let's hope that we are saying in 3-4 years that Evason was just the guy who is here when Lidstrom, Mateychuk, a healthy Fantilli, Jiricek, Monahan, etc. arrived. Also hope for same lament "Any coach should have won with them...:cool:
No. Let's hope he is better than Bickerstaff. And I think he is. I didn't follow Minnesota, but he is credited with getting marginally talented rosters to the post-season. Bickerstaff will never be able to do that.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
No. Let's hope he is better than Bickerstaff. And I think he is. I didn't follow Minnesota, but he is credited with getting marginally talented rosters to the post-season. Bickerstaff will never be able to do that.
I get what your are saying, and I hope Evason is better than Bickerstaff.
Bickerstaff wasn't horrible, the Cavs took steps under him, but Bickerstaff just wasn't the guy to take the NEXT step.
Yes, he benefitted from additions of Mobley (draft) and Mitchell (trade), but then Evason will benefit from Fantilli/Lidstrom and Monahan/?.

My hope for Evason is that he NOT get a marginally talented roster to the POs. If he does so, fine.
I prefer that Evason develops (and Waddell acquires) a VERY talented roster that competes for SC in foreseeable future (4-5 years) regardless of whether he can take a marginal roster to the POs in the early years of his tenure.

Reactions: CalBuckeyeRob

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
JB Bickerstaff got his injured team to the 2nd round of the playoffs and lost to the NBA Champions. If Dean Evason does that, he's an unquestioned success. The series win vs. the Magic was great.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One thing that Dean values is modestly skilled depth forwards that play hard, tough, smart, and are good on the forecheck(which was he did, as a player).

I don't know that he does anything unusual with high end offensive types, or Dmen, besides playing the guys who are hot more than the ones who aren't. One article listed above talks about how he developed Faber and Boldy, but any idiot could've done that... they are more or less idiot proof prospects. What is more telling is how players like Rossi(who had a very difficult time in the NHL initially), Dewar, Addison, Duhaime were treated. Rossi(small, weak, offensively minded) was sent back down to the AHL, after a poor 19 game stint, even though his AHL stats were impressive. He eventually developed into a legit NHL'er a year later, but that was due to him working his ass off in the weight room and coming back stronger and faster. Addison(small, offensively talented, weak, poor defensively) was kept on in the NHL and played, but was eventually demoted and traded under Dean. Dewar and Duhaime were developed as 4th line regulars, and were never sent down. Both were very limited offensively, but gritty, and played smart. They were only traded after Evason was fired.

The bottom line is that if you are an offensively talented player but blow defensive assignments then Dean will not be patient with you ... Boldy isn't great defensively, but at least tries, and "gets it". He also has filled out his big frame. Addison never did "get it", and never improved the strength on his small frame. I am thinking about players like Johnson, Fantilli, and Jiricek here. I am sure that Dean will give them chances, but if they are porous defensively then they will have a short leash, though i am sure that there will be pressure put on him to give more chances to the latter two. A guy like Gaudreau, because of his veteran status, will have a much longer leash.

The less talented, but gritty, two way guys like JEE, Freddy Gaudreau, M Foligno, Hartman, Middleton really flourished in MN. All of them put up career numbers under Dean. Dean will love Jenner(as would most coaches), but I will be interested to see what he does with players like Sillinger. He will want "his guys" at the bottom of the lineup who will play really hard, and smart. If they do not, they will not play, even if they have more "potential". He is more into "actual".

Like many coaches, he doesn't seem to have any great philosophy about goalies except play the guy who stops the pucks more than than than the guy who doesn't. He is not a big believer in yanking goalies mid game.

Oh, and he doesn't mind having the odd fight, so will like one heavyweight, and at least 2 or 3 scrappy types who will drop the gloves. We had Foligno and Reaves/DeLo, then Duhaime, Hartman, Middleton, Dewar who would all fight if needed.

Dean is easy to like, and seems relatively normal, but gets very intense during games. His eyes... very crazy...

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
One thing that Dean values is modestly skilled depth forwards that play hard, tough, smart, and are good on the forecheck(which was he did, as a player).

I don't know that he does anything unusual with high end offensive types, or Dmen, besides playing the guys who are hot more than the ones who aren't. One article listed above talks about how he developed Faber and Boldy, but any idiot could've done that... they are more or less idiot proof prospects. What is more telling is how players like Rossi(who had a very difficult time in the NHL initially), Dewar, Addison, Duhaime were treated. Rossi(small, weak, offensively minded) was sent back down to the AHL, after a poor 19 game stint, even though his AHL stats were impressive. He eventually developed into a legit NHL'er a year later, but that was due to him working his ass off in the weight room and coming back stronger and faster. Addison(small, offensively talented, weak, poor defensively) was kept on in the NHL and played, but was eventually demoted and traded under Dean. Dewar and Duhaime were developed as 4th line regulars, and were never sent down. Both were very limited offensively, but gritty, and played smart. They were only traded after Evason was fired.

The bottom line is that if you are an offensively talented player but blow defensive assignments then Dean will not be patient with you ... Boldy isn't great defensively, but at least tries, and "gets it". He also has filled out his big frame. Addison never did "get it", and never improved the strength on his small frame. I am thinking about players like Johnson, Fantilli, and Jiricek here. I am sure that Dean will give them chances, but if they are porous defensively then they will have a short leash, though i am sure that there will be pressure put on him to give more chances to the latter two. A guy like Gaudreau, because of his veteran status, will have a much longer leash.

The less talented, but gritty, two way guys like JEE, Freddy Gaudreau, M Foligno, Hartman, Middleton really flourished in MN. All of them put up career numbers under Dean. Dean will love Jenner(as would most coaches), but I will be interested to see what he does with players like Sillinger. He will want "his guys" at the bottom of the lineup who will play really hard, and smart. If they do not, they will not play, even if they have more "potential". He is more into "actual".

Like many coaches, he doesn't seem to have any great philosophy about goalies except play the guy who stops the pucks more than than than the guy who doesn't. He is not a big believer in yanking goalies mid game.

Oh, and he doesn't mind having the odd fight, so will like one heavyweight, and at least 2 or 3 scrappy types who will drop the gloves. We had Foligno and Reaves/DeLo, then Duhaime, Hartman, Middleton, Dewar who would all fight if needed.

Dean is easy to like, and seems relatively normal, but gets very intense during games. His eyes... very crazy...
This screams Justin Danforth to me. Also potentially Malatesta (maybe not this year but he could open Evason's eyes in camp)

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This screams Justin Danforth to me. Also potentially Malatesta (maybe not this year but he could open Evason's eyes in camp)

To some extent it's just normal coach stuff. Coaches value players that go hard and win battles.

Last year Danforth started out hot and Vincent tried putting him on the top line!

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
One of the early objectives was to dole our roles, and Evason laid that out in full detail:

• Haviland, who was promoted from AHL Cleveland to the Blue Jackets this summer, will handle the long-maligned power play.
  • Ford, who was hired after seven seasons as an assistant with AHL Milwaukee, will run the penalty kill.
  • McCarthy, entering his fourth season on the Blue Jackets’ bench and his 10th season with the organization, will coach the defense and defensive-zone coverage. He’ll also help Ford with the penalty kill.
  • Boll, in his second year as an assistant, will work with forwards, be Haviland’s second-in-command on the power play, and work closely with players on faceoffs.
“The one thing I really dislike is when they say it’s ‘this coach’s power play, or ‘this coach’s penalty kill,” Evason said. “It’s not. It’s our staff. It’s our whole staff that formulates how we want to play, and everyone has input in every area. This (feeling) is probably coming from me being an assistant coach.

“The power play, the penalty kill, the way we defend … it doesn’t fall on one person. But it’s all my responsibility as the head coach.”

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Wow - I really don't understand as an analytical person when all the measures are not trending well over the past 3 years. How is Steve McCarthy still running the defense, when they are virtually the same defense and these trends would merit change in any business.
Maybe it's because this is our 4th head coach in as many years, all with different styles of play and systems

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00