Confirmed with Link: Jackets hire Dean Evason as head coach

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
When Evason’s hiring was made official, Blue Jackets players started phoning friends across the league for intel, especially players who had played directly under him with the Wild. As one player texted to The Athletic: “My favorite message back was ‘Be ready. It won’t always be easy, but you’ll always respect him. And you’ll win games.'”

That’s what Blue Jackets defenseman Zach Werenski was told, too.

“Everyone I know who has played for him really likes playing for him,” Werenski said. “He gets a lot out of the guys and is a great motivator. He has the guys ready to play (at) every age. That’s perfect for us. I’m excited to see what he’s all about.

“I’m not going to say Dean is going to be the same way as Torts, but he’s definitely old school and he expects a lot out of the guys. You want that high accountability and you (want) guys who will push you, and it sounds like that’s what he does.”

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Hopefully I am wrong but I hope they don't use the late in the game as an excuse to not turn over a few coaches. I hope at least he gets to bring 1 guy he trusts, if not I feel they are tying his hands behind his back.
What if he trusts McCarthy?

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Do you?? He has been running the defense for 3 seasons and between that and goaltending it has been not good to be kind.
The question is not if I trust him but does the new head coach? Doesn’t matter what I think
If Evason believes that McCarthy can implement his system with the defensive corps then I am fine with it
The assistant coaches serve the head coach not visa versa
The head coach looks for assistant coaches who will implement his system and teach his system

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
The question is not if I trust him but does the new head coach? Doesn’t matter what I think
If Evason believes that McCarthy can implement his system with the defensive corps then I am fine with it
The assistant coaches serve the head coach not visa versa
The head coach looks for assistant coaches who will implement his system and teach his system
Understand all of that but my point is if you were DE would you trust an Assistant Coach that was in charge of the defense that has given up some of the most Goals Against in back to back years?

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Understand all of that but my point is if you were DE would you trust an Assistant Coach that was in charge of the defense that has given up some of the most Goals Against in back to back years?
I don’t know
Maybe the problem was with the former head coach and the system or lack of one he was seeking to implement

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I know I’m late to the party with this, but just wanted to throw it out there:

I haven’t been following the NHL extremely closely for several years, so I didn’t have any particular emotional connection to any of the coaching candidates.

But I absolutely became a Dean Evanson fan when he said that bit about “We don’t have time to talk about all the things I need to get better at.”

For me, that kind of self-awareness and self-deprecation sounds like leadership to me.

So “I’M DOWN WITH DEAN!"

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
Just crossed my mind but maybe they bring in Waddells guy Bob Hartley as an associate coach?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
As far as impressions go, two things come to my mind with regards to Evason. The first is honesty. He seems like a guy who walks the walk. The second, particularly in comparison to Vincent, is conciseness. Communicational effectiveness matters. Refreshing stuff.

It felt like Vincent was a meandering collection of hockey cliches when he spoke. Lots of hockey folks are when they talk to the media, but somehow his version was worse than the norm (to me). More meandering, to your point. I didn't think Larsen was a whole lot better in that regard.

Evason is refreshing. Have to think the players will feel similarly.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
It felt like Vincent was a meandering collection of hockey cliches when he spoke. Lots of hockey folks are when they talk to the media, but somehow his version was worse than the norm (to me). More meandering, to your point. I didn't think Larsen was a whole lot better in that regard.

Evason is refreshing. Have to think the players will feel similarly.
Lack of NHL experience. You're talking about hypotheticals having not gone through it as the Head Coach. Yeah he's got AC experience, but it's a lot different when the spotlight and blame is squarely on your shoulders.

You can tell from how Evason speaks that he's got the experience to back up what he's saying. There's a confidence there that was missing from Vincent and Larsen.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
English isn't Vincent's native language, right? Sticking to comfortable clichés might be the way to go instead of saying something that ends up being taken the wrong way because you didn't know the correct word or phrase.

Definitely what I figured and why I gave him the benefit of the doubt in this area. But also what CBJx614 said, it contributed to his inability to earn confidence/respect in my eyes and have to wonder if it had similar impact on the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad