Confirmed with Link: Jackets hire Dean Evason as head coach

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
His playoff record in Milwaukee (AHL) and Minnesota is, well, bad. But his regular season records are very good. Given that the CBJ are in the crawl before you walk, walk before you run stage the playoff failures aren't a big deal. If he can deliver anywhere near his Minnesota regular season record it will be a good hire.

It will be nice to have a coach with some fire and personality.
His playoff record is only bad because he wore himself out during the regular season. I think he will be more measured in his response during the season and stay on top of his sleep, fitness, and nutrition.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
i get why this brain-poisoned fan base would have this reflexive disgust/angst over seeing first-round exits but that ignores the actual context behind those exits.

evason, as a first-time head coach, took over a mediocre team dealing with insane cap constraints and had them winning at a 110-point pace for three years running. they overachieved because of the system he implemented.

then they lost in the first round three straight times. they had the weaker roster/goalie in each of those series.

elite coaches like cooper and maurice needed way more than three bites at the apple – and with rosters far better than minnesota's – to actually win the damn thing.
You misunderstood me completely. Or maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were defending McLellan, saying that he didn't win any Cups since he didn't have the rosters or circumstances in place to do so. I said it was a good point, but was slightly amused by the fact that the same could more accurately be said about Evason, since his rosters have not been great. I was amused by this, since someone said earlier "yeah, his regular seasons in Minnesota were good but he always lost in the 1st round so this is a bad hire."

Let me be abundantly clear then: Evason was my favourite candidate and I absolutely love this hire for the Blue Jackets.

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Should we expect players to grow and learn how to win but not think coaches aren't forged through the same process? Teams and coaches gain experience and become better suited to win big games but championships are still a perfect storm with good fortune still playing a key role.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Not trying to get on your bad side here but have you seen what he did with the MN roster? You want guys to play over their head and develop? I think he did a damn good job there with his hands tied with some Cap dead money. I get he's not your first choice but I'm finding a hard time understanding the disappointment with him. Or is it just you felt that much stronger about others? He seems like a good hire.

Over 250 games as a head coach, over 25 years in the league, hard but fair, worked with young players... he seems to check all the boxes. I'm excited for this hire for a change. I haven't said that in the last 4 coaches (though Torts I grew to love).
No worries just because you have a different opinion doesn’t put you on “my bad side” (just don’t like people who lack integrity). That is opinion and I respect and understand, but I am not there yet with Evason. Look, I don’t want him to fail just to be right but Minnesota was his first NHL coaching gig and he had his handpicked assistants. I worry he acquiesced on keeping assistant coaches to get the gig and not having the right staff is worse than not having enough cap space.

DW didn’t want to turn the entire staff over. He needs to get the fresh blood in the locker room.
McCarthy was a last minute replacement, Bolls was never known for skating, scoring or defense, now he is teaching at the highest level. All of these guys are great guys, but great guys don’t win you hockey games.

All, I am saying if he isn’t allowed to bring in his own staff then it will be a much harder job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoggz22

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
That's a big part of the case for Evason.
The added upside of Roy was possibly helping Elvis unlock his game ( he does also have cachet), since that is still an issue.

I get your point and thank you , but not there yet with Evason.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
No worries just because you have a different opinion doesn’t put on “my bad side” (just don’t like people who lack integrity). That is opinion and I respect and understand, but I am not there yet with Evanson. Look, I don’t want him to fail just to be right but Minnesota was his first NHL coaching gig and he had his handpicked assistants. I worry he acquiesced on keeping assistant coaches to get the gig and not having the right staff is worse than not having enough cap space.

DW didn’t want to turn the entire staff over. He needs to get the fresh blood in the locker room.
McCarthy was a last minute replacement, Bolls was never known for skating, scoring or defense, now he is teaching at the highest level. All of these guys are great guys, but great guys don’t win you hockey games.

All, I am saying if he isn’t allowed to bring in his own staff then it will be a much harder job.
giphy.gif

I don't know what Boll brings to the table from a coaching perspective either but Torts was also not known for any of those things as a player either. But at least Torts proved himself up through minor hockey before landing an NHL job, which is the biggest concern here.

The added upside of Roy was possibly helping Elvis unlock his game ( he does also have cachet), since that is still an issue.

I get your and thank you , but not there yet with Evanson.
Many people seem to be doing this. the only 'N' in his name is at the end. EvASoN

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Really??? Cool play the passive aggressive card. Don’t care for people who don’t look at other people’s point of view but think they are the enlightened ones.

There is no hate for Dean Evanson (don’t know the guy) just preferred somone else, like you preferred Dean. So when you post on the mains and mention that that I have a personal beef with Dean Evanson, show a little respect and know things before you post. How about a little civility.
I will definitely not tell people how you’re so not mad, bro. So not mad. No one will know.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The more I read about Evason the more I like the hire. I know some people think this was the cheap way out compared to T-Mac but I am not sure he would have been a better hire for us. Let's all get excited about this, the roster is improved and the coaching will be better...we are moving in the right direction.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
His playoff record in Milwaukee (AHL) and Minnesota is, well, bad. But his regular season records are very good. Given that the CBJ are in the crawl before you walk, walk before you run stage the playoff failures aren't a big deal. If he can deliver anywhere near his Minnesota regular season record it will be a good hire.

It will be nice to have a coach with some fire and personality.
If Evason loses in the playoffs in his first couple of years, he will be an undisputed success.

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
giphy.gif

I don't know what Boll brings to the table from a coaching perspective either but Torts was also not known for any of those things as a player either. But at least Torts proved himself up through minor hockey before landing an NHL job, which is the biggest concern here.

Many people seem to be doing this. the only 'N' in his name is at the end. EvASoN
Got it - I will spell check ;)

Porty will on at 9:30am est. Just saw this come across.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not that I was ever against the hire, but one day later I am feeling pretty good about this. I hope he brings in his own staff (although I have a feeling Recchi is staying), but regardless I’m feeling good. Excited to hear him (and Waddell) today
I know his work last season was poor but I still think I'd rather him than McCarthy, if it's a choice (which we don't know if it is).

I wonder if they'd move Boll back off the bench, if they decide to retain him? Or if he would choose to move on? I think the decision there will give an indication what his career goals are and how seriously the organization takes the fact he's a "family member" (which we know is usually "pretty darn seriously").

Reactions: Xoggz22

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Was Minnesota supposed to get anywhere in the playoffs during Evason's tenure as the HC? Were the 1st round losses some huge upsets?

Not that I ever followed Minnesota much at all, but my answer to both questions would be "not really". I mean I remember being surprised at their regular season record, in my mind they were one of those teams that are in the fight for a spot in the playoffs, but I wouldn't have counted them in as locks for even making the playoffs, let alone expect them to go deep. But like I said, I didn't follow them, so maybe my expectations of them as a team was just not based on reality but old reputation of being a perennial "in the mix, but not really going to make a splash" team.

Either way, not really worried about the playoff record of a coach who did really well in the regular season and is about to start coaching a team that has finished bottom-5 two years in a row...

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Not that I was ever against the hire, but one day later I am feeling pretty good about this. I hope he brings in his own staff (although I have a feeling Recchi is staying), but regardless I’m feeling good. Excited to hear him (and Waddell) today
Not necessarily predictive of the future but he kept the existing assistant coaches when he joined Minnesota and retained them during his years there. They all have other positions currently so unlikely he would bring them in here.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Not necessarily predictive of the future but he kept the existing assistant coaches when he joined Minnesota and retained them during his years there. They all have other positions currently so unlikely he would bring them in here.
Also Waddell has history with both Recchi and McCarthy, so I don’t think it’s out of the question both stay either.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Im so glad Jackets signed him, i loved him in Minnesota and i believe he is the right guy at this moment, strict, hard nosed coach but loved so much by his players.

With him as head coach, i can see Malatesta and/or Brindley making the team out of camp if they will come in form, which i believe they 100% will. His system and playing style should fit well to Voronkov and Fantilli to fluorish under him, same for Sillinger, Chinakhov and Danforth and possibly Lindstrom in a few years. What a great fit!

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Waddell says he was looking for passion, structure, and accountability for the next coach. Says Evason brings all of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad