Confirmed with Link: Jack Johnson signs 1x775k

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am wondering if maybe D Wad met with Werenski and Werenski said something like talking with Jack Johnson was really helpful to him when he was coming up and they could use a another veteran like JMFJ to help develop the young guys.

Reactions: Xoggz22

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Y'know... I'm liking this more and more. If he ends up doing more 1-year contracts with us, that's fine. (After what his parents did) He can probably use the guaranteed one-way money even if he sits in the press box, and we can use his veteran presence, even in the press box.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
League minimum AND 1 year and folks are still upset? I mean, even if he's 7th dman he's creating a bar for the rookies to need to push themselves over to take that spot and providing that veteran presence, even if camped in the press box. His little interview snippet was encouraging too since he wasn't talking about coming in and being the #1 but being a mentor, inviting rookies over for dinner, and "doing anything they need me to do".

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I do think coaching (IE, a defensive system with an experienced hand) will really help our team defense. On paper, I really don't think the personnel is horrible. Werenski is borderline elite, Provorov and Severson are easily top 4 defensemen on most teams, and Jiricek has great potential. Gudbranson is also an NHL capable player, and JJ had a good year with Colorado in a sheltered role.

I don't expect to hear from Waddell until the coach is hired (and I dont expect another signing before then) but I am curious to know if this is how the roster will probably look on opener (aside from the potentially pending Laine deal and whatever that brings).
Waddell talked about "cleaning up 40 goals against" being fairly easy which I think is accurate.

Getting rid of some defensively suspect guys and receiving marginally better goaltending has a good chance of already getting this accomplished. It puts the team back into a lot of games that were "Ls" last season if this is the case.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Waddell talked about "cleaning up 40 goals against" being fairly easy which I think is accurate.

Getting rid of some defensively suspect guys and receiving marginally better goaltending has a good chance of already getting this accomplished. It puts the team back into a lot of games that were "Ls" last season if this is the case.
Yeah I can think of 8-9 points we left on the board and 75-80 was a much more reasonable outcome for this team as they are on paper. What happens to Laine and what coach we bring in are the biggest moves this summer for how...interesting...this team will be in the fall

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

These aren’t mutually-exclusive items of course, but also just not blowing 3rd-period leads.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s hard to even imagine how a 3rd pairing guy on a Stanley Cup team could possibly make the roster on a top lottery-pick-contending team. :sarcasm:

Cap strapped cup contenders with only $775k leftover for a 6/7D are the sort of teams that vets like JJ end up on.

This is starting to be the most annoying myth - there are many top clubs that had worse depth than the Jackets.

You think there's a good chance he's already accomplished cleaning up 40 goals against?

He hasn't added a goalie.

He hasn't added a good defensive D-man, or any D-man not named Jack Johnson.

Bean and Boqvist aren't good defensive defenders, I'm thrilled that we moved on from them. But you think Christiansen/JJ/Jiricek are?

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Cap strapped cup contenders with only $775k leftover for a 6/7D are the sort of teams that vets like JJ end up on.

This is starting to be the most annoying myth - there are many top clubs that had worse depth than the Jackets.

You think there's a good chance he's already accomplished cleaning up 40 goals against?

He hasn't added a goalie.

He hasn't added a good defensive D-man, or any D-man not named Jack Johnson.

Bean and Boqvist aren't good defensive defenders, I'm thrilled that we moved on from them. But you think Christiansen/JJ/Jiricek are?
I think the D will take a step forward when they part with McCarthy who has shown zero ability to improve the overall D play or results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad