Jack Hughes goes for the hit on ENG, gets worst of it

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Classic no win situation for Hughes, actually try to prevent the ENG he gets flattened and ya'll laugh at him for even trying but if he lazily skated back with zero effort you'd be calling him out for that too. He gets pissed off after getting leveled, you guy laugh at him for being so mad, but if he'd just skated away, he'd be a p***y that can't defend himself.
If he just stopped before Rasmussen/tried to play the stick, nobody would have said anything and this thread wouldn't exist

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm siding with Hughes on this one.

Rasmussen hit Hughes pretty viciously. Obviously Hughes wasn't going to be in a great mood.

Celebrating a f***ing empty net goal like that right over a guy you hit like that is pathetic. Have some self respect. Hughes should've cross checked him in the face.
What are you talking about? :laugh:

Hughes took a run at him and got rocked. Then got up and tried to chirp him.

Talk about having some self respect…

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Of course the thread wouldn't exist, it'd be a nothing play. Hughes was trying to stop the ENG, no idea why anyone has any sort of problem with that.
You said we'd be calling him out if he lazily skated back. There was a third option there. Skate hard and try to play the stick. Either way he isn't stopping the goal, but at least this way he doesn't risk injury and prevents the meme.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Viscously? you’re kidding, right ?
Rasmussen didn't even brace or counter with a reverse hit. Hughes bounced right off of him, lol

Of course the thread wouldn't exist, it'd be a nothing play. Hughes was trying to stop the ENG, no idea why anyone has any sort of problem with that.

Lol, no he wasn't. He was trying to blow a guy up out of frustration. He would have used his stick if he was actually trying to stop the goal...

Reactions: wingerdinger

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Really not trying to stir up the Wings vs Sens rivalry, we can do that later on in the year but uhh...

Your captain is the absolute king of "rubbing it in the opponent's face"..I wonder if your thoughts are different when it's your captain doing it?
He's a hothead but he's not really the king of "rubbing it in the opponent's face". Fair enough insight that yes it was fun seeing him ask your bench "who wants some?" in that 5-1W... but that's really all that comes to mind. He definitely participates in the chippyness though.

Like I said, I didn't watch the game, so I don't know if Hughes and Ras were beefing up until that point.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You said we'd be calling him out if he lazily skated back. There was a third option there. Skate hard and try to play the stick. Either way he isn't stopping the goal, but at least this way he doesn't risk injury and prevents the meme.
I'm sure if he knew he was just going to bounce off Rasmussen he probably wouldn't have bothered trying, my issue is with people making fun of him for trying by whatever means nessicarry. In his mind he's hoping to prevent the goal and was doing it by what he hoped would be the quickest way possible.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
not sure how to embed, but: to rasmussen about JH

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I'm sure if he knew he was just going to bounce off Rasmussen he probably wouldn't have bothered trying, my issue is with people making fun of him for trying by whatever means nessicarry. In his mind he's hoping to prevent the goal and was doing it by what he hoped would be the quickest way possible.
were making fun of him because he got bitched on the ice in an embarrassing way and looks the part. any attempt to rationalize or lessen that just makes it mire embarrassing. you just gotta eat it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't think you know that for certain. There was like 9 seconds left. The game was over. If that was Debrincat instead of Ras, and he gets blown up there, it wouldve started a brawl. Stupid play all around by Hughes. He isn't preventing the goal, isn't winning the game either way, and could've hurt himself/other player for no reason. He's getting mocked for it now and rightly so. Hughes is a fantastic player but take off the homer goggles for a minute.

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
It was a chippy game, and his little fit at the end was hilarious.
ezgif-5-49aaac9be0.gif

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rasmussen been in the league for 8 years and this is the first worthwhile thing he's done
Jack is chasing him down and takes a run at him with the stick in the air. He can't stop the puck from going in the net because he's not close enough to reach out with his stick. Sure, play to the whistle, and I'm sure fans can appreciate the heart is trying to stop a goal, but fans can equally recognize that Jack brought it on himself.

If he wasn't trying to turn into a hit (don't pretend he was just trying to stop. Stick in the air. He's going for a hit), then he probably doesn't take a fall like that bouncing off, but then there's a much bigger mess that comes from that hit.

Last edited:

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don't think you know that for certain. There was like 9 seconds left. The game was over. If that was Debrincat instead of Ras, and he gets blown up there, it wouldve started a brawl. Stupid play all around by Hughes. He isn't preventing the goal, isn't winning the game either way, and could've hurt himself/other player for no reason. He's getting mocked for it now and rightly so. Hughes is a fantastic player but take off the homer goggles for a minute.
There are 11.4 seconds left when the Wings score, also no way Hughes knows this. Go watch Patrik Stefan flub on the ENG, less time left on the clock than the Devils have. It's unlikly it would have worked but I'd rather see an effort than to quit.

Why are you playing the what if card? It wasn't Debrincat and I'm pretty sure Hughes knows that. I'm as far away from a homer as you'll get though, I'm way harder on the Devils than most.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Kinda wild how the Red Wings always seem to have mediocre team stats, but still can string together some wins early on to make the WC race interesting at the end of the year. They seem to be getting creamed in shots every game, but still have a decent record. That's early season hockey for you.
Yes it's not sustainable and eventually it will catch up to them if they dont start getting there shit together.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
There are 11.4 seconds left when the Wings score, also no way Hughes knows this. Go watch Patrik Stefan flub on the ENG, less time left on the clock than the Devils have. It's unlikly it would have worked but I'd rather see an effort than to quit.

Why are you playing the what if card? It wasn't Debrincat and I'm pretty sure Hughes knows that. I'm as far away from a homer as you'll get though, I'm way harder on the Devils than most.
Okay 11 seconds. Because a smaller player in recent memory was seriously hurt on a similar play. Of course Hughes is going to get some shit for it. The Stefan flub has happened what? Once in nhl history? It's possible but trying to blow someone up for an empty net goal is deserving of being taunted.

Hughes made a stupid play and is lucky he wasn't injured. You can skate hard and try to play a stick. It wasn't a lose lose situation like you said. Hughes chose the worst option and is now rightfully being mocked. I would expect the same if Rasmussen was on the other end of this.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The temper tantrum after is the most embarrassing part. You got blown up, take your medicine and get off the ice lol.
I'm sure it looks that way from the outside but the Devils lost to Tampa in a game where Bratt got blown up and not only did the Devils not respond they folded. Hughes got himself blown up and flexed on, he can't just put his head down and fold again.

Reactions: raymond23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad