Jack Hughes goes for the hit on ENG, gets worst of it

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm siding with Hughes on this one.

Rasmussen hit Hughes pretty viciously. Obviously Hughes wasn't going to be in a great mood.

Celebrating a f***ing empty net goal like that right over a guy you hit like that is pathetic. Have some self respect. Hughes should've cross checked him in the face.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO

Rasmussen hit Hughes pretty viciously. Obviously Hughes wasn't going to be in a great mood.

Celebrating a f***ing empty net goal like that right over a guy you hit like that is pathetic. Have some self respect. Hughes should've cross checked him in the face.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Laus723 and ReHabs

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
It's called emotion. Fan usually like that from their players. Especially when embarrassing a lil annoying frat boy.

You would have been all for it if it was a sens player doing it. Now it's just lame because bias.
No, I feel very comfortable saying that I'd also think it was kind of lame if a Sens player did that. I'm allowed to have opinions about players on other teams and events around the league without being questioned for bias.

I didn't watch the game so I don't know if it was a chippy game, and perhaps I'm misreading Hughes' intent. I've never really seen Hughes behave like a "lil annoying frat boy", and he comes across as likeable in off-ice availabilities IMO.

It's a 3-4 game with the goalie pulled, so of course Hughes is going to go full out. I really don't see him being capable of hitting Rasmussen so devastatingly that it would risk injury, and it's a clean "attempt" at a hit.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

This right here is a different version of reality lmao. Hughes hit Rasmussen, he just didn't like the result of it.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This right here is a different version of reality lmao. Hughes hit Rasmussen, he just didn't like the result of it.
Hit is over exaggerating it. Hughes was trying to make a play on the puck. He let up and didn’t try to make any type of real check on Rasmussen once the puck was gone. Their contact was pretty minimal, and Hughes was playing to the whistle to make a play on the puck.

Rasmussen shouldn’t have taken any offense to what Hughes did. That type of contact a smidge after the puck is gone is routine when guys are going 100MPH. No harm no foul. Players don’t take serious offense to that. Next play. Back to the bench.

That Rasmussen tried to make something that was absolutely of no significance into a moment to show up his opponent was poor sportsmanship and at that point I think Hughes has the right to actually go at Rasmussen in a way he didn’t previously.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018

Viscously? you’re kidding, right ?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
Taunting your opponent isn't having self respect but cross checking your opponent in the face is ok? (and probably getting yourself suspended)

I get Hughes playing hard to the whistle, but Rasmussen has every right to defend himself from the check and was probably pissed that Hughes took a run at him on a rather meaningless empty netter with 13 seconds left in the game, hence the taunt.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not really. Looks more like they went skate to skate because Hughes tried to stop and throw his hip in, then Hughes jumped in the air to try and regain his footing. The falling had nothing to do with the hit itself.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

The sure way to look like an idiot is to double down on a bad decision with another equally bad decision. Hughes initiating a crosschecking battle? I am all for it. I would pay money to watch it. I would probably DVR it and play it forever, but it's not gonna end well for little Jack.

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
I can't dunk on Jack for making the effort to get back there. Most guys would have quit on the goal and seeing him compete to the end is only a good thing.

Having said that it's all about Rasmussen getting to feel like a hockey god. Dude tucks in a empty better and gets to feel like Joe Thornton wanted to with his rooster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad