Jack Eichel Overhyped or Overshadowed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
non Bias:

Injuries are what have held him back from competing for individual hardware. He has the talent.

Bias:

He's a jerk, he made it all about him, got paid, whined, and then got moved to a team already in a winning position without him.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I ain’t reading all that, but I do think that if he had MacKinnon’s drive, he could’ve spent time as the second best player in the league.

Probably true, but MacK is a true star in all senses who thrives in the spotlight whereas Eichel is (or at least has become) much more of a low-key lunch-pail guy that seems to be more comfortable out of it.

One might suggest that Eichel flew too close to the Sun in Buffalo and got burned, and now desires just to keep his feet firmly on the ground and stay comfortably in the shadows as much as possible.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
There is little doubt that Eichel was overhyped in Buffalo, but the Sabres weren't exactly burning down whole regions of villages before or after his time there.

In Vegas, Eichel has been the consummate and unselfish 200' team player which is all the franchise ever wanted from him. Probably not a player that one would think of first for their fantasy league team, but that's just fantasy after all. In reality, it is a team sport. I would suggest that it is pretty likely that Eichel will go his entire career without winning an individual award, but my guess is that the only thing he ever really wanted to do was to hoist the Cup.
Sure if you want to change the narrative he's been a lot worse in Vegas. He's not really any better defensively than before just on a team with a better defense in general. He's slower than he was before the injury but still fast.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He was drafted at a time when idiotic fanboys on social media(especially the ones with a platform), the media itself were obsessed with the term “generational” and just wanted a draft situation like 2004 with Ovechkin and Malkin just to give them something interesting to talk about or make it appear they know what their talking about it. That term “generational” got so overused and to the point where it was hard to say it without sounding like a moron.

Jack Eichel draft potential was really that he would have been an above average first overall pick talent. He probably goes first overall most drafts of the 2010s or at least attracts enough chatter to contend for it.

He was obviously overhyped but that wasn’t really his fault. I’d say he’d lived up to his true draft potential though. He’s still considered a number 1 center and has cup in a playoff year that was worthy of a conn smythe and he’s on pace to at least get 1000 pts in his career.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
eichel is a great example of the power of nurture over nature for some folks. put him on a bad headless chicken team and he's a flawed selfish player that slides into the poisonous culture. put him on a good team with urgency and accountability and he is disciplined 2 way 1c and a key piece in winning a cup. both are who he is.
It shows how much people want to push narrative in hockey. Guys win Cups because they are in the right place at the right time. Fans/media want to push stories about players winning or losing that usually don't reflect reality all that closely.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He’s my favorite player so yes i’m biased. Definitely deserve more talks about him.

If he can finally play 82 games i can see him put up 90 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad