News: Jack Eichel not happy in Buffalo [JACK EICHEL MEGATHREAD] Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Injury
Salary
Bit of a ? about all around game/winning type of game (whether fair or not)

There's all sorts of reasons why teams might not deal a guy taken 2nd recently for a guy taken 2nd years ago.
That is overvaluing prospects, the chances any of those prospects become even close to the level of individual play Eichel has had in his career is really slim.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That is overvaluing prospects, the chances any of those prospects become even close to the level of individual play Eichel has had in his career is really slim.
Depends on the prospect you are talking about.

Maybe Byfield doesn't have the ppg that Eichel does. Maybe he gets close. That and his contract make him more attractive.

Maybe Eichel's injury means we've seen the best of him.

Maybe Eichel is what he's always been- a talented offensive player who doesn't necessarily play the most responsible kind of game and maybe Byfield is close in points but does those other things.

Maybe a team can have a prospect get close enough and they can use that other 8 or 9 million to add something else.

Teams and fans could be wrong about that. Chances are slim that Dylan Cozens becomes as good as Anze Kopitar... but would BUF make that deal? Hell no. So obviously there is more to it than just that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Rangers fans don't want to give up their pocket lint for Eichel let alone anything young and of value. It'll definitely be interesting to see what Eichel returns if he's moved to the Rangers. There will be a whole lot of people that look really foolish on one side or the other. I will say at least Bern says he doesn't really want Eichel and that certainly shows in the package he's offering.

There is no way after you just moved on from the D'Angelo mess if you're NYR you should want any part of this guy. I also do not see why if you're NYR at this stage you weaken the prospect pool when you're already set up front. The Rangers issue is their 3-4-5-6 D positions, they do not need any help on offense at all. Philly is probably dumb enough to make the move. NYI should but they won't because Trotz and Lou do not want guys with baggage or forwards who don't play defense.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Rangers fans don't want to give up their pocket lint for Eichel let alone anything young and of value. It'll definitely be interesting to see what Eichel returns if he's moved to the Rangers. There will be a whole lot of people that look really foolish on one side or the other. I will say at least Bern says he doesn't really want Eichel and that certainly shows in the package he's offering.
Rest assured it will be less than Buffalo fans want and more than NYR fans want

Reactions: bleedblue94

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Depends on the prospect you are talking about.

Maybe Byfield doesn't have the ppg that Eichel does. Maybe he gets close. That and his contract make him more attractive.

Maybe Eichel's injury means we've seen the best of him.

Maybe Eichel is what he's always been- a talented offensive player who doesn't necessarily play the most responsible kind of game and maybe Byfield is close in points but does those other things.

Maybe a team can have a prospect get close enough and they can use that other 8 or 9 million to add something else.

Teams and fans could be wrong about that. Chances are slim that Dylan Cozens becomes as good as Anze Kopitar... but would BUF make that deal? Hell no. So obviously there is more to it than just that.
Or maybe ”Byfield” busts out the league, or maybe ”Byfield” never becomes a two-way player in the NHL etc, and you’re downplaying Eichel’s all around game, a lot.

Eichel was near ppg this season with all the injuries and Sabres being run awfully, the odds of the surgery making him play worse than he did with all the injuries are slim.

Also Kopitar is 33, Eichel is 24, those two hardly are comparable at this point.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
typically retention is ok on an expiring contract at the deadline. Buffalo is not retaining 30% of Jack for 5 more seasons.

That's their call, and I wouldn't retain either...
but...
no one is going to take a 10 million dollar player with an injury that derails careers for the prices Buffalo fans are expecting. If you look at the history of players with disc herniations, especially cervical ones, they are usually not at the same level after returning. Spezza, Alfredsson, Parise, Dorsett, Hossa, and Lupul are all guys who had disc herniations and had noticable stat and play level drops after surgery\rehab.

At the end of the day Buffalo is probably better off holding on to him and hoping his injury gets resolved properly, but it's a pretty decent bet he won't be playing up to that 10 million\year contract, which is pretty damn sad because it's not really his fault his neck got broken.

I know the Wings have been mentioned as a possible trade partner, and my thinking is that I want them to stay far, far away. There is just way too much risk with that contract and injury situation. Let Buffalo eat it.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Eichel wont leave. I think everybody who knows about injuries will tell Jack to grow up, that they think of whats best for him in the long run. Surgery can its backlashes.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

For 24 year old Kopitar of course they would.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
For 24 year old Kopitar of course they would.
Jack will be 25 a couple weeks after the season starts, so 25 year old Kopitar would be a better comp. By the age of 25 Kopitar had already won a Cup. Jack hasn't played a meaningful NHL game in his career. 25 year old Kopitar also wasn't publicly complaining about his team and expressing frustation. 25 year old Kopitar wasn't coming off a major back/spine injury.

S0 comparing 25 year old Jack with 24 year old Kopitar, while removing those facts is a bit dishonest. Obviously Jack is a supremely gifted offensive player.

But yes, injury, cap, and frankly whispers about him since before he even got to BU mean it would be a huge risk for a team to trade a prospect who hasn't turned 19 yet and who was just drafted 2nd overall for him.

Jack will get a good package that will include a top prospect. I just don't think it will be Byfield/LaFreniere.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Jack will be 25 a couple weeks after the season starts, so 25 year old Kopitar would be a better comp. By the age of 25 Kopitar had already won a Cup. Jack hasn't played a meaningful NHL game in his career. 25 year old Kopitar also wasn't publicly complaining about his team and expressing frustation. 25 year old Kopitar wasn't coming off a major back/spine injury.

S0 comparing 25 year old Jack with 24 year old Kopitar, while removing those facts is a bit dishonest. Obviously Jack is a supremely gifted offensive player.

But yes, injury, cap, and frankly whispers about him since before he even got to BU mean it would be a huge risk for a team to trade a prospect who hasn't turned 19 yet and who was just drafted 2nd overall for him.

Jack will get a good package that will include a top prospect. I just don't think it will be Byfield/LaFreniere.
Yeah that Byfield guy was ripping the league apart, a whopping 1 point in 6 games. No way he is on the table.
And that Laf guy, a fantastic 0.375 ppg, no way he would be part of a package for Eichel.
Do you hear yourself talk?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Eichel wont leave. I think everybody who knows about injuries will tell Jack to grow up, that they think of whats best for him in the long run. Surgery can its backlashes.

Yep. He signed that contract. Only way he gets out of it is if the Sabres get a decent return for him. If that is not possible right now due to his injury situation and questionable behaviour, you tell him that the offers for him are not there and that he has to come back, prove those people wrong and that he can potentially get his trade once he restores some of his value to what it once was...

The Sabres selling very low and repeating the ROR mistake might kill that franchise. Pegula and Adams better make pretty damn sure that they get the right return there and don't make another completely braindead trade like they did with ROR just because Eichel is unhappy like ROR was...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah that Byfield guy was ripping the league apart, a whopping 1 point in 6 games. No way he is on the table.
And that Laf guy, a fantastic 0.375 ppg, no way he would be part of a package for Eichel.
Do you hear yourself talk?
Lafreniere had 6x as many goals as Eichel did this year at 1/11 of the cost.

Weeeeeee, numbers are fun.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This year? Lol what are you talking, he played without a neck. Stop it.
I knew you can't hear yourself.
Oh great point. Yeah using the caveat "He has a really debilitating injury that could be career threatening" is a great point in your defense.

Also, I used the wrong numbers in my other post:

LaF had 12x the number of ES goals as Eichel did this year......

BTW I'm clearly being over the top here, but when you start talking about the point totals an 18 year old put up in the league as some sort of big deal... I mean... do you hear yourself talk?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
There is no way after you just moved on from the D'Angelo mess if you're NYR you should want any part of this guy. I also do not see why if you're NYR at this stage you weaken the prospect pool when you're already set up front. The Rangers issue is their 3-4-5-6 D positions, they do not need any help on offense at all. Philly is probably dumb enough to make the move. NYI should but they won't because Trotz and Lou do not want guys with baggage or forwards who don't play defense.
D is not a problem, C will be in a year.
NYR 3-4 D is Miller and Trouba that’s looking good
5-6 will be some combo of 6 different young yet for the most part promising players and we’ll probably get a short term solid vet LD and Smith can be resigned cheaply for 7

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Eichel had a Hart-worthy season last year, that was both with an awful coach and the dumpster fire that is called Buffalo.
His % share of the point total of the team was sky high, much higher than Matthews, and closer to McDavid.
If Eichel plays with a healthy neck for Buffalo next season, and Reinhart + a good goaltender + a good coach are a part of this team, then they are in playoff contention.

Yes, let them sulk.

However, I'm not sure if Adams/Pegula are in the works of making a wrong decision, that is they trade Eichel for scraps.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Eichel had a Hart-worthy season last year, that was both with an awful coach and the dumpster fire that is called Buffalo.
His % share of the point total of the team was sky high, much higher than Matthews, and closer to McDavid.
If Eichel plays with a healthy neck for Buffalo next season, and Reinhart + a good goaltender + a good coach are a part of this team, then they are in playoff contention.

Yes, let them sulk.

However, I'm not sure if Adams/Pegula are in the works of making a wrong decision, that is they trade Eichel for scraps.
Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad