Jack Campbell enters player assistance program

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What's your real name, Rubi? Seems like a reasonable ask to me.
Yes it does. I'll give you a clue...

1000000040.jpg

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It's nice to see that entering this program is becoming more common.
Not in the wishing these problems on them, but in them using this and getting help when they have them.

Get better Jack, I'm cheering for you again.

Ya, complicated now, but we’ve improved from Kevin Stevens bouncing his unconscious face off the ice and saying “nah, it’s fine, I’ll numb it with stuff!” I also think the mental toll on NHLers might be more than that for most sports- sounds silly, but given the duration and intensity it’s up there. And that’s focused even more for goalies, so no wonder they’re seemingly seeking help more than most.
What exactly is he hoping to fix by entering the Players Assistance Program? Excuse my ignorance. I haven't been following the Soup saga very closely for the past couple of years.

I agree with you. All I'm asking is if he's made public whatever issue he's having. Seems like a reasonable ask to me.

Dude, that wasn’t your original question. What a weird thing to twist your own words over- you came at it all aggressive, you coulda worded it “do we know what the problem is?”, don’t act dumb. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Reactions: joestevens29

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Can someone tell me a player who entered the PAP and actually have a long productive career after? Cause I feel like every player I think of that was the beginning of the end, bobby ryan, carey price, Kuznetsov…
I don't think, and Panthers fans hope that it was not the beginning of the end for Spencer Knight.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ya, complicated now, but we’ve improved from Kevin Stevens bouncing his unconscious face off the ice and saying “nah, it’s fine, I’ll numb it with stuff!” I also think the mental toll on NHLers might be more than that for most sports- sounds silly, but given the duration and intensity it’s up there. And that’s focused even more for goalies, so no wonder they’re seemingly seeking help more than most.

Dude, that wasn’t your original question. What a weird thing to twist your own words over- you came at it all aggressive, you coulda worded it “do we know what the problem is?”, don’t act dumb. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
Okaaaayy...

Reactions: JPT

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
This is my #1 struggle and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's crippled my life
me too, but I tried cognitive behavioral therapy and it helped. I used to be my own worst enemy where I was soo worried that I was going to have a panic attack that the relentless self checks would inevitably snowball into a panic attack. The CBT taught me to go with the flow more and in turn I have way less attacks now. I still get them but I'm not doing it to myself almost every day like before

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
What exactly is he hoping to fix by entering the Players Assistance Program? Excuse my ignorance. I haven't been following the Soup saga very closely for the past couple of years.
Nobody knows except for him his family and probably his agent. Its none of our business. Was hoping this thread would go ignorance free.. welp!

Take all the time you need Jack!

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
me too, but I tried cognitive behavioral therapy and it helped. I used to be my own worst enemy where I was soo worried that I was going to have a panic attack that the relentless self checks would inevitably snowball into a panic attack. The CBT taught me to go with the flow more and in turn I have way less attacks now. I still get them but I'm not doing it to myself almost every day like before
Glad it helped. I haven't been so lucky. I generally manage not to have an external panic attack, except when I am outside... but internal attacks are still several times a day sometimes.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
some serious hostility ITT.. maybe we need an HF Poster Assistance Program.. it’s the weekend y’all need to chill out

Reactions: JPT

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
some serious hostility ITT.. maybe we need an HF Poster Assistance Program.. it’s the weekend y’all need to chill out
Hey. A thread about a player seeking help. I should use it to fight with people like they're my bitter enemy.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I’m afraid when a player enters the PAP it’s the beginning of the end.
And it may very well be the beginning of the end for a player's career, but that's not really what the focus should be. The point of getting help is to have a better life going forward, not to get back out to entertain folks. If the player can get back to playing high level hockey, great, but maybe that isn't the healthiest thing for them.

Reactions: joestevens29

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think people tend not to think of players as human, or think that getting paid millions shields you from everything.
I don't know why Campbell is in the PAP, but the stress of underperforming and seeing the criticism would certainly put many of us there.
Soup will pull this off. Reaching out the biggest step.

and only the nieve and the grade schoolers "tend not to think of players as human".

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
And it may very well be the beginning of the end for a player's career, but that's not really what the focus should be. The point of getting help is to have a better life going forward, not to get back out to entertain folks. If the player can get back to playing high level hockey, great, but maybe that isn't the healthiest thing for them.
It’s a little perplexing that he signs a contract with Detroit and 3 months later a week before the season starts he enters the PAP. So his issue developed sometime in the last 3 months? I mean if a company hired me for a year on a set salary of 100 k and the day before I start my year long contract I enter their employee assistance program and still get paid, I don’t think the company would be too thrilled…

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dang, hopefully Jack can get better and overcome his issues

I may be misremembering, but I thinj he had past substance/alcohol issues in Dallas which hurt him and caused his NHL debut and play to be pushed back a few years.
I mean a quick google and you can find that he dealt with mental issues back then from not hitting expectations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad