J. Hughes + Subban vs. Kakko + Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJD or NYR?

• Total voters

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Hischier also went ahead of Pettersson so I don't get your point
Hischier also wasnt ranked 1st by literally every reputable prospect ranking and was seen as a 50/50 with Patrick

Hughes was as unanimous as you can get in a world where everyone can share their opinion and have it be seen

Yet on HF, Kakko has won polls lmfao

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Subban's clearly better than Trouba if we are to believe that Subban was injured last season.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Hischier also wasnt ranked 1st by literally every reputable prospect ranking and was seen as a 50/50 with Patrick

Hughes was as unanimous as you can get in a world where everyone can share their opinion and have it be seen

Hischier was still ranked as being better than Pettersson.

Statistically it's very likely that neither Hughes nor Kakko will be the best player out of the draft.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Hischier was still ranked as being better than Pettersson.

Statistically it's very likely that neither Hughes nor Kakko will be the best player out of the draft.

Nah, not statisticlly but probability. Statisticlly kakko and hughes will be clearly the best

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Not really though if we're being objective. It's not like McDavid or Dahlin where it's an open and shut case. Kakko got several 1st place votes from NHL teams, so while Hughes was the consensus number 1 pick, it was far from unanimous

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Longterm Trouba+ Kakko, I don't think Subban is going to play too many seasons in NJ/be a game changer for that long in NJ.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hischier also went ahead of Pettersson so I don't get your point

His point is obvious.

The draft just happened less than a month ago. Hughes and Kakko were in their own tier with Hughes slightly ahead of him. Nothing has happened to changed that.

Your point has a fair amount of time pass for that point to be disputed.

Your counter point was weak.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
how about the group with the guy that went first overall and the guy that won a Norris?

yeah okay sounds good

His point is obvious.

The draft just happened less than a month ago. Hughes and Kakko were in their own tier with Hughes slightly ahead of him. Nothing has happened to changed that.

Your point has a fair amount of time pass for that point to be disputed.

Your counter point was weak.

yeah but Michael Henrich was drafted before Datsyuk

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

Prior to that it was known as Patrick’s draft, but all the injuries really took away from his last season (well, last 2 seasons in JR) and development.

The fact that it was 50/50 after not being able to play from a misdiagnosed double sports hernia, surgery on his right groin muscle the -1 draft summer, and a missed injury on the left side of the groin that required surgery post draft should be noted. Also, Meyers (Winnipeg Jets doctor) apparently gave him “career saving” surgery on a core muscle injury prior to the draft too- which was noted by Patrick because he said he wasn’t able to play (or could play at 60%) with it.

EDIT: oops, misread your comment about draft rankings.

Last edited:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Hughes and Kakko are similar, but also different positions. Others have said that talent wise is about a wash.

Trouba vs Subban is an interesting one that needs a little bit of gymnastics, but I can see how it's an interesting consideration overall.

Defensely responsibility: Trouba > Subban
Sandpaper: Trouba > Subban
Offense: Subban > Trouba
Mobility: Subban > Trouba
Predictability: Trouba > Subban

Flames fan wise, I would consider Kakko/Trouba even though many would want Hughes to be a replacement C to either Monahan or Backlund. we have too many riverboat gambler styled dmen and having a grit guy like Trouba to be a stable presence in the back would be important for us. Kakko would be murderous alongside either JG/Mony or Tkachuk/Backlund depending whether we would put him in an offensive position first, or train him to be a trigger man on defensively responsible line.

If teams have the ability to insulate Subban's gambling ways, then I see why other teams would choose Hughes/Subban instead. It's a difference in fit.

Both are very good options.

I could be wrong, but if NYR didn't have Fox in the pipeline, I'm almost thinking both teams would have a more rounded d corps if NYR had Subban and NJD had Trouba.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Trouba > Subban

Subban is 30 and beginning his decline from his prime and has been getting injured more (3 out of the last 4 seasons has missed 12 or more games per season, 19 last year). Trouba is 25 and have many years left in his prime.

Kakko = Hughes

Kakko Trouba > Hughes Subban.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The Rangers. Kakko will be the best of the punch. Subban getting traded time and time again also leaves me under impression that every locker room wants to get rid of him. Something's not quite right there. Him being better offensive D-man than Trouba doesn't really balance it out. Give a season or two and he's somewhere else once again.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
This poll might be more lopsided if more posters considered Lindsey Vonn was part of the PK Subban consideration.

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad