Ivan Demidov vs. Cayden Lindstrom

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It will be a hard thing to judge really. If Lindstrom is the 2C powerforward behind Fantilli putting up 30-40 or more goals theyll have no regrets regardless of what Demidov does.

Montreal is in the same boat. They rightly feel theyve probably drafted their 1st elite offensive talent in.... forever.

Demidov likely scores a fair bit more points, lindstrom brings some big and nasty. I think they both have the ability to bring offense on their own too which is a plus. Basically it will boil down to how many more points do you think Demidov needs to score to be seen as being more valuable than the big center should they both reach their potential
Demidov also has a greater ability to generate offense for his linemates, something that I think Lindstrom is relatively weak at. He also has the greater hockey sense. Lindstrom is going to have to score a lot of goals AND bring that physical game and with a back injury at 18 I'd be worried about how that style will hold up.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Both these players are very different, one being a big power forward center and the other being a really skilled winger but who do you think will have the better NHL career? If you throw in Sennecke, who will be the best out of Demidov, Lindstrom and Sennecke? Did Chicago, Anaheim and Columbus make a mistake not taking Demidov? Is Demidov really the second best player behind Macklin Celebrini?
The obvious answer to this question is "whichever player my team picked". Duh.

Like honestly, the draft was 10 days ago and literally NOTHING has happened in the interim to make anyone change their minds about the draft order. Go look at the litany of threads with people stating their opinions pre-draft. Nothing has changed since then. If people liked Lindstrom more than Demidov 11 days ago, nothing has changed their mind (with the exception that some change on account of homerism)

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I believe Demidov blows Lindstrom away by a country mile. Lindstrom will be a Byfield/Bjugstad hybrid and Demidov will be a Kaprizov/Kovalev hybrid. Easy answer. The NHL is a skill game now, Demidov is tailor-made for today's league.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We are talking about guy who plays very physical game with back problems and he's only 18.

Kiirin

Apr 2, 2023
In terms of raw numbers? Sure. But MHL < WHL. The difference in quality between the two leagues is enough that the p/gp difference between the two players (2.0 vs 1.44) is questionable and can’t be taken at face-value.
I wasn't even considering his point production, but be my guest. As I said, think of any metrics outside of physique and maybe skating and I have Demidov ahead of Lindstrom. It's not even a contest

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I wasn't even considering his point production, but be my guest. As I said, think of any metrics outside of physique and maybe skating and I have Demidov ahead of Lindstrom. It's not even a contest
no contest huh? I guess this is one of those many situations where the Habs GM is a god and every GM picking before them is stupid except the Sharks.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Speed, shot, strength. Lots of good things to have in the NHL!

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I honestly don't get the whole "He not smart" Lindstrom thing came from. He's no Jack Hughes but it's not even close to a weakness, And how people are reacting to his past injury you'd think he one poke away from being in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Then you weren’t talking about “metrics”, you were just talking about your opinion. Metrics are tangible/quantifiable figures.

Kiirin

Apr 2, 2023
no contest huh? I guess this is one of those many situations where the Habs GM is a god and every GM picking before them is stupid except the Sharks.
Absolutely, every GMs outside of San Jose who picked a player other than Demidov are stupid and soon will regret it. It is the same way in 2017 when New Jersey and Philly were too dumb to pass on Makar when he was the most talented player in his draft class. I'll give Dallas the benefit of the doubt since they picked up Heiskanen, but Makar should have been their guy.

I'd give shot to Demidov. Just because he's a pass-first playmaker, doesn't mean he can't wire it home with his lethal shot. While Lindstrom will be a good player, Demidov scoring from 45 to 50 goals in his prime just with his hockey sense and ability to think 2 steps ahead is not out of the imagination. Seriously in 5 years, we'll look back at this thread and all of us will wonder how the hell were we comparing a potential game-breaking franchise winger with an offensive ceiling of 100+ points to another complementary player on an average team.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Absolutely, every GMs outside of San Jose who picked a player other than Demidov are stupid and soon will regret it. It is the same way in 2017 when New Jersey and Philly were too dumb to pass on Makar when he was the most talented player in his draft class. I'll give Dallas the benefit of the doubt since they picked up Heiskanen, but Makar should have been their guy.

I'd give shot to Demidov. Just because he's a pass-first playmaker, doesn't mean he can't wire it home with his lethal shot. While Lindstrom will be a good player, Demidov scoring from 45 to 50 goals in his prime just with his hockey sense and ability to think 2 steps ahead is not out of the imagination. Seriously in 5 years, we'll look back at this thread and all of us will wonder how the hell were we comparing a potential game-breaking franchise winger with an offensive ceiling of 100+ points to another complementary player on an average team.
This is just embarrassing.

Reactions: Xirik

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Assuming no health issues, Lindstrom’s floor is much higher but ceiling may be slightly lower. Demidov is boom or bust pretty much

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Ok? Id wager good money a good number of people in the NHL right now have herniated disc's if they were checked out but are asymptomatic.
Sciatica nerve issues also. Never go away.will be a good player but will end up more on "IR" than playing.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
One wrong move or motion it will come back. Clearly, if you were athlete that moved you would know.

You're welcome.
Anyone can move wrong and do something bad, doesnt mean you are correct here. So ignorant and wrong, double whammy

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming no health issues, Lindstrom’s floor is much higher but ceiling may be slightly lower. Demidov is boom or bust pretty much

There isn't much of a bust factor with Demidov. I'd say his floor is that of a decent top 6 winger. He's got elite level talent, high iq, good skater, high compete, good character, plays both sides of the ice, and has decent size at 6'1 192 lbs.

There isn't any notable weakness to his game.

The only concern is he hasn't played against strong level competition, but considering how much he destroyed the mhl and how good he looked in khl preseason, I think its pretty safe to assume he would've put up good numbers in the khl.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad