Ivan Demidov vs. Cayden Lindstrom

DarthMaster09

May 16, 2022
Both these players are very different, one being a big power forward center and the other being a really skilled winger but who do you think will have the better NHL career? If you throw in Sennecke, who will be the best out of Demidov, Lindstrom and Sennecke? Did Chicago, Anaheim and Columbus make a mistake not taking Demidov? Is Demidov really the second best player behind Macklin Celebrini?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Both these players are very different, one being a big power forward center and the other being a really skilled winger but who do you think will have the better NHL career? If you throw in Sennecke who will be the best out of Demidov, Lindstrom and Sennecke? Did Chicago, Anaheim and Columbus make a mistake not taking Demidov? Is Demidov really the second best player behind Macklin Celebrini?

The real question you should be asking
"Is demidov > Mcdavid?"

A Loyal DEMIGOD

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Did Montreal make a mistake picking Reinbacher over Michkov? Almost guaranteed. But it happened. Teams like to draft for need.

I hope Lindstrom has an amazing career in Columbus. Their fans deserve an awesome big power forward center.

As for who's better? Nobody knows. Time will tell. Let's just hope for the best for all teams: Columbus, Anaheim, and Montreal.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
The real question you should be asking
"Is demidov > Mcdavid?"

So another indirect potshot at Habs fans? I'd argue that on average our fans are more hockey knowledgeable than any other team's. We also happen to have a huge fanbase which means we'll also have more crackpots. Anywho, be well.

Did Montreal make a mistake picking Reinbacher over Michkov? Almost guaranteed. But it happened. Teams like to draft for need.

There are caveats to BPA. Picks should be weighted by positional importance. Centres more than Wingers and such. Another important factor is that if you're unable to get value for surplus position players you lose out. You have a solid LD that you drafted in the 2nd round because he was BPA, 3yrs later you have no room for him and end up trading him for a 3rd. Net loss.

Last edited:

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Both these players are very different, one being a big power forward center and the other being a really skilled winger but who do you think will have the better NHL career? If you throw in Sennecke, who will be the best out of Demidov, Lindstrom and Sennecke? Did Chicago, Anaheim and Columbus make a mistake not taking Demidov? Is Demidov really the second best player behind Macklin Celebrini?
This can’t be known for another few years at least. But same question could be asked of Montreal when they passed on Michkov. I’m sure they had their reasons just as the others who passed on Michkov, as well as, the ones who passed on Demidov.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I feel like Lindstrom has has more room for growth.

But it's hard to argue against Demidov though. He dominated the MHL (on a per game basis ahead of Kucherov and behind michkov), more than Lindstrom did the WHL. So id probably pick him.

That being said, rooting for Lindstrom's success.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I like both prospects and frankly I would have been happy with either, but was leaning Demidov because as a Habs fan, I've been waiting for a prospect with this kind of talent and upside since I first began following the Canadiens in the mid '90s.

At this point it's just a matter of preference, both have entirely different profile, but both could end up being equally valuable.

Lindstrom strikes me as a genuinely good person, I hope his injury is truly behind and he can thrive.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
A herniated disc at 18 is rather insecure.
I think they were speaking in generalities, but the injury is a big concern for me (as someone with back issues from childhood). It's something Cayden will be dealing with in varying degrees for the rest of his life. Columbus taking him at 4 certainly removed any controversy of him being available at 5 and passing on him.

If he can manage to have a career relatively unencumbered, a player of his size, speed, and skill projects extremely well. I'd have had a hard time passing on him.

Demidov is incredibly skilled and dynamic. I like his interviews. He's as quick on his feet mentally as he is physically. I think his work ethic and desire to compete, in concert with his skill, is going to fit in really well in Montreal.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Demidov in the regular season, Lindstrom in the playoffs. I’m reserving my Demidov opinions until I can see how he does in the KHL

Reactions: Tuna99

Kiirin

Apr 2, 2023
Demidov is objectively better than Lindstrom in every offensive category outside of skating and size. The answer is pretty obvious

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think demidov is more skilled/will put up more points where as Lindstrom will impact the game in other ways.

I'd say it's Extremely close but demidov edging out the win because of injury concerns on Lindstrom

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Demidov in the regular season, Lindstrom in the playoffs. I’m reserving my Demidov opinions until I can see how he does in the KHL
He did great in the preseason and even made SKA ahead of Michkov despite being a year younger. Then they decided to play him 7 mins per game on the 4th line.

Let’s hope they actually use him this year instead of being petty.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Demidov is more unique and if he hits his celling he will be special.
Id argue the opposite, if Lindstrom hits his ceiling you're looking at a Matthew Tkachuk level guy, how many of those exists in the NHL? Not many guys can produce at that level with that style of play.

Granted, I think Demidov is more likely to hit his potential, but his playstyle comes with it's own set of challenges as well.

Reactions: Xirik

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Demidov is objectively better than Lindstrom in every offensive category outside of skating and size. The answer is pretty obvious
In terms of raw numbers? Sure. But MHL < WHL. The difference in quality between the two leagues is enough that the p/gp difference between the two players (2.0 vs 1.44) is questionable and can’t be taken at face-value.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I stopped watching Russian hockey a few years back so I can't even come close to answering the question.

I don't think how good Demidov is should matter to Columbus. I'm on the boat that Lindstrom is a bit overhyped as a prospect but, even if he is, he's the right fit for Columbus.

I'd have taken Lindstrom at fourth overall 10 times out of 10 if I were Columbus. Big centres who have the (perhaps) potential to be a difference maker in the NHL are something worth gambling on. If it doesn't work out, you have a big centre on your roster still, someone that helps you win. If it works out, you have a big centre on your roster driving you to win.

Assuming Demidov does end up better than Lindstrom (hypothetically), Columbus shouldn't care. They still got their big centre.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Id argue the opposite, if Lindstrom hits his ceiling you're looking at a Matthew Tkachuk level guy, how many of those exists in the NHL? Not many guys can produce at that level with that style of play.

Granted, I think Demidov is more likely to hit his potential, but his playstyle comes with it's own set of challenges as well.
Matthew Tkachuk is like one of the smartest player out there and dominates with his IQ mostly, you're looking probably at something closer to Brady or I'd say even Alex Tuch would be a lot closer. It's still a special, and great player, but the Matthew Tkachuk ones are way out of line.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

100% this

Who wouldn't want someone like Mathew Tkachuk at center?

Kaprizov vs Tkachuk?

I take Tkachuk every time

• Haha
Reactions: The Great Weal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad