Blue Jays Discussion: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Kevin Pillar!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
As he should be. He disappeares for five years to play in a lesser league and when he comes back he's a world beater?

If anyone should see the flaw in this reasoning it's a Toronto fan, who bore witness to late-blooming power hitters like Bautista and Encarnacion. Sometimes guys just "get it." There's evidence of an underlying skill change for Thames. He's swinging at much, much fewer pitches outside of the zone. His patience at the plate and zone coverage has improved immensely. Didn't know PEDs helped your approach like that.

I mean, he could be juicing. But that's what the testing is for. And it's not right to single him out more than anyone else who's taken a leap forward this year.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Eric Thames wasn't a bad hitter before he left for Korea. He had some power and was never really given a chance to play every day when he was in the MLB. It's not as if Ryan Goins went over and came back 5 years later hitting the **** out of the ball.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Eric Thames wasn't a bad hitter before he left for Korea. He had some power and was never really given a chance to play every day when he was in the MLB. It's not as if Ryan Goins went over and came back 5 years later hitting the **** out of the ball.

His plate discipline was poor during his time with the Jays and Mariners. Really the only redeeming quality he had during his first stint was his power, and it's tough to tap into it when you're not well disciplined and make poor contact. His swing% is at 38.9% so far, 10-11% lower than his first major league stint. He's also swinging at 20% of the pitches out of the zone, which is a HUGE improvement in pitch recognition. Still only 90 PA, and he'll regress, but what he's showing right now is exactly what he learned in the KBO.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I know most have written them off for the year already but I try to look at it optimistically. "If" they can go 12-8 for the next two 20 game segments they'll be 30-30...Not impossible if the pitchers get back healthy and pitch up to expectations. .500 after 60 games is far from great but they shouldn't be too far back with 102 games to go...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's still a good team. the only question is if the hole is too big already.

They need to make sure that this is the worst cold streak of the season, and fit in a couple of hot streaks at some point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
washed-up Martin now with a 114wrc+ on the year, despite his 0-fer-ever start to the season.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
This has got to be the worst lineup i have ever seen from the Jays in probably 5 years. At Least Latos isnt that much worse than Travis when it comes to hitting.

We got Latos and Casey Lawrence going for us. Cards have Martinez and Wainwright going for them. Could be a longggg dayyy.[/QUOTE

I could be wrong but didn't Lawerence pitch fairly well against the Angels? Here's hoping they both pitch well enough to not lose!!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
After today's game Tellez' numbers vRHP look real good.

But his numbers vLHP are starting to be a real concern.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
he's clearly garbage and an anchor and dragging the team down.

Him and Smoak are going to be the death of this roster :sarcasm:

I like how Martin's demise was a real discussion we had two weeks ago based on him struggling (the way he always does) for the first couple weeks of the season, and certain posters were convinced he wasn't a major league catcher anymore.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
After today's game Tellez' numbers vRHP look real good.

But his numbers vLHP are starting to be a real concern.

I'm usually more concerned about prospects with serious splits if they hit right handed. It's also very early so I expect his numbers against lefties to be respectable at season's end.

I'm not sure what the numbers are this year but there tends to be a heavy % of RHP compared to LHP in MLB. Tellez is likely to face righties the majority of the time and it's easy to find a lefty mashing 1b/dh option to platoon if necessary.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'm usually more concerned about prospects with serious splits if they hit right handed. It's also very early so I expect his numbers against lefties to be respectable at season's end.

I'm not sure what the numbers are this year but there tends to be a heavy % of RHP compared to LHP in MLB. Tellez is likely to face righties the majority of the time and it's easy to find a lefty mashing 1b/dh option to platoon if necessary.

Coming into today:

OPS vs. RHP - .727 in 39 PA
OPS vs. LHP - .238 in 26 PA

Not a good start, but it's obviously a ridiculously small sample (and the vs. RHP has gone up quite a bit today). Plus, if he turns into a middle-of-the-order bat against righties but needs to be platooned, that wouldn't be the worst result.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I know most have written them off for the year already but I try to look at it optimistically. "If" they can go 12-8 for the next two 20 game segments they'll be 30-30...Not impossible if the pitchers get back healthy and pitch up to expectations. .500 after 60 games is far from great but they shouldn't be too far back with 102 games to go...

I'm hoping they take both games today! But yeah I still have hope

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I could be wrong but didn't Lawrence pitch fairly well against the Angels? Here's hoping they both pitch well enough to not lose!!

Outside of the grandslam to Andrelton Simmons, not bad. Would've been a similar start to this Latos one if he managed to get a groundball hitter (Simmons) to ground into a double play.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
It's still a good team. the only question is if the hole is too big already.

They need to make sure that this is the worst cold streak of the season, and fit in a couple of hot streaks at some point.

They're done. Going into today the team would need to play at a 95-67 pace just to reach 89 wins (which is pretty much what you need for a WC spot). This team obviously isn't good enough to play at a ~60% win pace the rest of the way.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Guessing Osuna hits the DL. Out BP is going to cost us a lot of games before this season is done.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Home run number 5 for Pentecost. If only injuries didnt play a factor, he might have been one of the better prospects. Potentially could have been a gem and maybe a top 5 prospect for us. There is still a decent chance he turns into something good as his power is starting to come it seems even if he might not be a catcher, could still be though.
Do they move him to AA soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad