Confirmed with Link: Isles Officially Name Doug Weight as Head Coach

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I don't mind having DW as HC, but I do mind that it probably means GS is going NOWHERE.

Dougie seems like he has too much pride and doesn't have the "just happy to be here" mentality to accept mediocrity. I hope he selects some experienced assistants, because then I'll have faith in him getting the most out of the roster, which brings me to my next point that I'm concerned about the off-season because of ****head GM GS.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Did anyone catch the NHL Network interview with Weight earlier today? (I saw it at around 12 PM EST). The NHL guys started off the conversation saying something like "Congrats on having the Interim tag removed. What did they sign you to? 10, 12 years? Oh nevermind, Wang isnt in control anymore" :laugh:

(sorry mods, don't have a link. saw it on TV)

Need to see this. Isles whole Organization getting trolled by media constantly.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
No problem with this hiring, but I hope Weight will surround himself with assistant coach with experience and succes in the past.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
No problem with this hiring, but I hope Weight will surround himself with assistant coach with experience and succes in the past.

I like Weight but he is responsible for a lot of this mess. He ran the power play and was asst GM. I'm shocked he's getting a free pass. The power play was horrific the last 2 years.

LongIslanders

Feb 28, 2017
I like Weight but he is responsible for a lot of this mess. He ran the power play and was asst GM. I'm shocked he's getting a free pass. The power play was horrific the last 2 years.

He didn't get a free pass. He is being kept around based on the teams performance when he took over. It's a perfect hiring because he is tied to Snow. If things go south next year it will be easier to fire Snow and Weight and start over with a whole new management team.

If we let Snow bring in a big named coach to a long term deal it could get messy trying to fire Snow and force the new GM to work with a head coach that he didn't hire.

Personally, I would have fired Snow and let the new GM pick the new HC (whether that was Weight or someone from the outside).

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
He didn't get a free pass. He is being kept around based on the teams performance when he took over. It's a perfect hiring because he is tied to Snow. If things go south next year it will be easier to fire Snow and Weight and start over with a whole new management team.

If we let Snow bring in a big named coach to a long term deal it could get messy trying to fire Snow and force the new GM to work with a head coach that he didn't hire.

Personally, I would have fired Snow and let the new GM pick the new HC (whether that was Weight or someone from the outside).

I agree, a new GM should have been hired but Weight is getting a free pass, the power play was horrible and has been for 2 years. That was his job and asst GM.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
this will be a tense offseason for many of us.

i'm not sure how I feel about this move. Weight's records was superb given what he took over but everything outside him, a disaster.

Garth Snow should be in the hall-of-fame for being able to keep his job the longest with the worst track record of anyone even close to that tenure. Not sure it's a category (yet)

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I feel if "Weight" was replaced with "Gallant" or someone else people would be ecstatic right now. Weight is the perfect coach for the team right now, I just do not feel comfortable with Snow. I really hope he proves me wrong but time will tell.

You mean you have not had enough time? The past 11 years was not enough time for you to make a judgment on Snow's shortcomings as a GM.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You mean you have not had enough time? The past 11 years was not enough time for you to make a judgment on Snow's shortcomings as a GM.

No I mean there is nothing we can do on a message board to stop this from happening. So time will tell. Maybe you should read some of my other posts before thinking that I believe Snow should still be here. :shakehead

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
The more and more I read the quotes the less I want Weight as coach. Snow says the players are comfortable with him. The last thing theses lolly-gaggers need is a coach they are comfortable with.

The power play speaks for itself! And it's on Dougie!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They don't have a home. New owners may be worse than Wang.

No one is worse than wang, and thanks to him we aren't able to find out how good they can be. They are literally trying to dig out of the arena nightmare wang left them with, and can't get out from under the 5-10 year extension he gave to snow.

That's why this team still feels like wang owns them...Because all the crap he made us put up with he cemented in place prior to leaving. It's like your girlfriend giving you syphilis and then breaking up with you.

wang is our syphilis. Getting a new arena and buying out snow is our penicillin.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The more and more I read the quotes the less I want Weight as coach. Snow says the players are comfortable with him. The last thing theses lolly-gaggers need is a coach they are comfortable with.

It all depends on what is meant by comfort. They could be comfortable in that Weight can actually explain and communicate his intentions and system (I believe it was reported that Cappy could never teach players properly and the more he tried to verbalize, the worse it got), he is upfront with the players and tells them exactly what he wants and expects from them. That is a good leader/boss. Clear and concise with no hidden agendas, "hahd"working pets or random benchings or unequal treatment. I think that could be what they mean by comfortable. Players know exactly where they stand with Weight. And Weight was a great player, he is going to expect max effort from his players. I don't believe we need to overthink what Weight will bring as a coach. He played for some tough coaches as well.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
No one is worse than wang, and thanks to him we aren't able to find out how good they can be. They are literally trying to dig out of the arena nightmare wang left them with, and can't get out from under the 5-10 year extension he gave to snow.

That's why this team still feels like wang owns them...Because all the crap he made us put up with he cemented in place prior to leaving. It's like your girlfriend giving you syphilis and then breaking up with you.

wang is our syphilis. Getting a new arena and buying out snow is our penicillin.

Is there some new information that I'm not aware of or are you just making that up

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Is there some new information that I'm not aware of or are you just making that up

You must have missed this from yesterday:

"Snow has four playoff appearances in 11 seasons as GM. According to numerous sources around the league, he also has a contract with at least five more seasons on it, a parting gift of sorts from loyal former owner Charles Wang when he turned control of the team over to Malkin and Ledecky."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/big-decisions-ahead-for-islanders-owners-jon-ledecky-and-scott-malkin-1.13428062

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I think we are going to see an improved DW next season as he takes this team as his own. Considering who is out there I am quite happy with the signing.....and the fact he wants to be coach, says a lot to me as he stated this was not what he really desired as en end result when he took the interim job.

As for the Snowy guy....would like to see him gone.

As for a new GM not being able to name his coach thus would not take the job....I truly believe that is a much over rated assumption. If there is some one of quality coaching or someone they like, when they take the club/job, that could as easily be something that is very attractive.

Now...is Dougie that guy?...guess we will find out.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

"Snow has four playoff appearances in 11 seasons as GM. According to numerous sources around the league, he also has a contract with at least five more seasons on it, a parting gift of sorts from loyal former owner Charles Wang when he turned control of the team over to Malkin and Ledecky."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/big-decisions-ahead-for-islanders-owners-jon-ledecky-and-scott-malkin-1.13428062

ouch. Wang... what a dick! so, our only hope is that we hire a team president who keeps Snow on a tight leash.

i like what Doug did. he is not without his shortcomings, but is a giant step up from Cappy.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

Yes i did miss that, thanks.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It all depends on what is meant by comfort. They could be comfortable in that Weight can actually explain and communicate his intentions and system (I believe it was reported that Cappy could never teach players properly and the more he tried to verbalize, the worse it got), he is upfront with the players and tells them exactly what he wants and expects from them. That is a good leader/boss. Clear and concise with no hidden agendas, "hahd"working pets or random benchings or unequal treatment. I think that could be what they mean by comfortable. Players know exactly where they stand with Weight. And Weight was a great player, he is going to expect max effort from his players. I don't believe we need to overthink what Weight will bring as a coach. He played for some tough coaches as well.

Not what I got from it. The quote is preceded by the fact that Weight helped land a lot of these players, i.e get them to sign here. So they are comfortable in that he wooed them. Probably will be much like the way Garth Snow is with his draft picks, stubbornly defiant when they fail. I don't like the language or the vibe i'm getting from the interviews at all.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I don't mind this at all. He did enough to get a shot and the players played hard for him and seemed to like him. I also love the fire and emotion he brings behind the bench. There just better be a short leash if things go south.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Experience??!?!

and question the status quo thats kept them all employed for the last decade. That aint happening.

We are such a joke of a franchise. We make the Knicks look good. Thankfully No one in NYC media really cares about Hockey because we would be ripped apart nightly.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i would like to know more about the working arrangement between the brass. if i were L&M, i would structure it so that Weight has complete control over the team, and the Sound Tigers. maybe even make weight co-GM, instead of assistant GM? have Snow ONLY doing scouting, drafting and trading, with the approval of L&M.

it sucks that Snow was given an extension right before L&M took over, but they have the power to structure it the way they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad