Confirmed with Link: Isles Officially Name Doug Weight as Head Coach

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Good move, I wish he still didn't keep the AGM role personally. I can't wait until we replace/hire someone above Snow.

Glad to see he is swapping out at least one of his assistants.

I didn't see where he kept the AGM role. Moreover, so far they are not swapping out assistants, they would be filling up the vacancy left by Weight. However, all the assistants have not been informed of their role.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Don't need more assistants. Just need to hire a creative PP instructor. Could even be someone in college or juniors, just find a PP that makes you think wow, and hire that guy as a consultant.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Snow was never getting canned. He would've never been allowed to sign greiss or clutter in season to those silly contracts if the owners didn't have 100% faith in him. If anything he'll get promoted.

Hopefully weight succeeds and snow cleans up his contract/salary cap issues and signs JT. Has a lot of work to do, not too confident he'll get it right.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I am OK with this move, if the Isles bring in an assistant coach that can design and run a power play... maybe Corkum is the guy and he just needs a one month training camp to implement.

But with no effective PP, this team is going to be stagnant... it is not the personnel, we have five 20 goals scorers and Pulock coming up

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Dougie needs to upgrade his assistant coaching stuff. Not only bc its apparent he should do it, but also gives him a full slate.

It would be great to have a former NHL coach or two as assistants.

I agree, we need to steal a guy like Rick Tocchet, who knows how to run a PP... or even Todd Richards... he knows PP too.

People see MIke Sullivan winning a cup but he has Jacques Martin helping him on the bench along with Tocchet.

Lorne Henning would be ideal, but he may be too old now

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
I am OK with this move, if the Isles bring in an assistant coach that can design and run a power play... maybe Corkum is the guy and he just needs a one month training camp to implement.

But with no effective PP, this team is going to be stagnant... it is not the personnel, we have five 20 goals scorers and Pulock coming up

Pp needs to be addressed in a big way but now the team has some really bad contracts.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Two coach hires today: Hitchcock and Weight.

There's a joke there somewhere.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Trottier was a more awesome player but he was a terrible head coach.

I'm not defending Trottier's coaching tenure -- but didn't he deserve more of a chance than he got? He was a hot coaching candidate as an Avs assistant, then never got another sniff after failing in half a season with a dysfunctional terrible rangers team.

I'm glad Weight will be picking at least one new assistant. I was very unimpressed by the Greg Cronin/Corkum hires (which were totally on Snow).

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Well deserved appointment for Doug Weight. He has done a tremendous job turning what would have been an awful season into something worth watching. Can't wait to see what he does for a full season. He has a pleasant coaching style, connects well with players as a formal player himself, respected by the team and around the league for tremendous skills he brought as a player and now he is using that experience and talent to help an entire team move forward. Perfect guy for the job. I think if anyone owes Weight a debt of gratitude it is Garth Snow, because Weight basically saved both their jobs from a spring cleaning behind the bench and in the front office.

As for Snow, I never wished for his firing and still he's done an overall good job rebuilding this team and needs some tweaks in the next couple of years to bring back some size and toughness to the line-up. Matt Martin was probably the player this team missed the most of the players we lost last year. It destroyed the top 4th line in hockey that had excellent chemistry and a penchant to score timely goals and we lost a deterrent for other players to take shots at our smaller skilled players. Snow needs to replace that. I do credit him for bringing in new players from our prospect pool or UFA who drive to the net rather than play a perimeter game. That was big improvement from last year.

As for this season, he clearly made some mistakes including the PaPs fiasco, the goaltending gridlock, and waiting too long into the season to make a coaching change. Honestly, some of this was not his fault. Andrew Ladd would have made a bigger difference earlier in the season if it was not for that undisclosed injury. But his lack of production brought the morale of the team down and with Snow's new acquisitions failing early in the season and with Snow letting PaPs go before Capuano had a chance to organize his line-up it created a divide between Snow and Capuano with Capuano publicly complaining about the situation. He said that the loss of the offensive output from Okposo and Nielsen was irreplaceable. That clearly wasn't true. Also, it was seemingly Halak who made a big deal about having a 3 goaltender logjam and not having enough practice time. Focusing on this issue rather than on his own play started the Isles on a bad start to the season from the get go with a lot of bad goals costing the Islanders dearly at the start of the season. If any criticism can be leveled against Snow in regards to the Capuano situation it was the fact that he was too patient and too loyal to Capuano. Capuano also appeared to be focusing on what he apparently thought was a lack of personnel to get the job done, but if he had called up some of their more talented players such as Ho Sang earlier in the season, who knows if they would have made the playoffs? Snow definitely deserves some of the criticism for all of the above, but not all of it.

But, again, really happy that Weights staying. Looking forward to next season.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Its the same over & over again here, many of you hated Weight since he was the man in charge of PP. When he took over there was nothing to lose so really coaching with
no pressure until the GAME Against BOSTON, biggest game of the year at that time that would have sealed Bostons Fate as they were falling and we crapped out.

The rest was playing catch up again where the chances were slim. Next Year, with
no changes, we will be outside looking in again and most probably calling for Weights job

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Well deserved appointment for Doug Weight. He has done a tremendous job turning what would have been an awful season into something worth watching. Can't wait to see what he does for a full season. He has a pleasant coaching style, connects well with players as a formal player himself, respected by the team and around the league for tremendous skills he brought as a player and now he is using that experience and talent to help an entire team move forward. Perfect guy for the job. I think if anyone owes Weight a debt of gratitude it is Garth Snow, because Weight basically saved both their jobs from a spring cleaning behind the bench and in the front office.

As for Snow, I never wished for his firing and still he's done an overall good job rebuilding this team and needs some tweaks in the next couple of years to bring back some size and toughness to the line-up. Matt Martin was probably the player this team missed the most of the players we lost last year. It destroyed the top 4th line in hockey that had excellent chemistry and a penchant to score timely goals and we lost a deterrent for other players to take shots at our smaller skilled players. Snow needs to replace that. I do credit him for bringing in new players from our prospect pool or UFA who drive to the net rather than play a perimeter game. That was big improvement from last year.

As for this season, he clearly made some mistakes including the PaPs fiasco, the goaltending gridlock, and waiting too long into the season to make a coaching change. Honestly, some of this was not his fault. Andrew Ladd would have made a bigger difference earlier in the season if it was not for that undisclosed injury. But his lack of production brought the morale of the team down and with Snow's new acquisitions failing early in the season and with Snow letting PaPs go before Capuano had a chance to organize his line-up it created a divide between Snow and Capuano with Capuano publicly complaining about the situation. He said that the loss of the offensive output from Okposo and Nielsen was irreplaceable. That clearly wasn't true. Also, it was seemingly Halak who made a big deal about having a 3 goaltender logjam and not having enough practice time. Focusing on this issue rather than on his own play started the Isles on a bad start to the season from the get go with a lot of bad goals costing the Islanders dearly at the start of the season. If any criticism can be leveled against Snow in regards to the Capuano situation it was the fact that he was too patient and too loyal to Capuano. Capuano also appeared to be focusing on what he apparently thought was a lack of personnel to get the job done, but if he had called up some of their more talented players such as Ho Sang earlier in the season, who knows if they would have made the playoffs? Snow definitely deserves some of the criticism for all of the above, but not all of it.

But, again, really happy that Weights staying. Looking forward to next season.

Toronto Maple Leafs rebuilt way quicker than the isles... Lou is a genius (unlike Snow)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm not defending Trottier's coaching tenure -- but didn't he deserve more of a chance than he got? He was a hot coaching candidate as an Avs assistant, then never got another sniff after failing in half a season with a dysfunctional terrible rangers team.

I'm glad Weight will be picking at least one new assistant. I was very unimpressed by the Greg Cronin/Corkum hires (which were totally on Snow).

Greg Cronin is fine as an assistant and he should be retained. The PK ended up 11th overall. I suppose Bob Corkum would go back up to the press box and resume his previous duties. A coach to run the PP is a must. Also I would like to see a new goalie coach brought in and Mike Dunham relieved of his duties.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Not really. If you don't like him as an example I can pull a hoard of others. Gretzky was already brought up as a terrible coach. Same is true for Goring and MANY other great players, legendary players, but gawd awful coaches and or executives.

Being a great player is entirely separate from being a good coach. Like most everything in life that is a job, experience is pretty much everything.

Doug's coaching experience is ______________. Fill in the blank. You get what you paid for and undoubtedly Dougie isn't getting paid much.

Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Not what I was hoping for here, but now am very much hoping that Doug can prove me wrong. Agree with the general consensus here that the assistant coach decisions become more important with such an inexperienced head coach in place.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Dougie needs to upgrade his assistant coaching stuff. Not only bc its apparent he should do it, but also gives him a full slate.

It would be great to have a former NHL coach or two as assistants.

Almost every other team seems to have former head coaches. Not that it means you're better but it would be nice to have an assistant who experienced being a head coach. It brings more ideas and strategies.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I'm not against Weight but I feel like at this point, There were no other candidates for the job. Is Weight the best coach we can get? If the orginazation feels that way ok I guess but I'm kinda over the in-house promotions especially if there are more seasoned options out there...like i said, I'm not against weight per say but let's at least do our homework before making the decision. I don't feel like we did that

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

served him right trying to coach for
$&@!in Rags

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I didn't see where he kept the AGM role. Moreover, so far they are not swapping out assistants, they would be filling up the vacancy left by Weight. However, all the assistants have not been informed of their role.

Saw it on one of the articles I read that he was keeping that role as well. Might not have been official though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Isnt Sutter available? I mean....really?

Sutter might be done coaching, at least that's what I seem to remember hearing some time ago. Then again, I remember hearing the same thing about Hitchcock and now he's in Dallas.

I'm pretty annoyed by this move but I understand why it was done. I don't hate Weight and find him to be refreshing most of the time during interviews, but I really would have preferred Hitchcock if he were available. Weight could've continued as the assistant general manager.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
They nickel and dime coaches and front office and pay big bucks for 4th liners.......go figure!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad