GDT: Islanders @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He played well enough at that age to expect him to become better but he just stagnated. I used to say Baby Parise early on but he's turning into a worse Palmieri now. Too streaky of a player to consider a part of your core

He wishes he could shoot the puck like Palms. He's honestly more like a Tatar. If he ever gets to that Montreal Tatar or 22-23 Tatar I'll be happy but he's got a ways to go

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
He played well enough at that age to expect him to become better but he just stagnated. I used to say Baby Parise early on but he's turning into a worse Palmieri now. Too streaky of a player to consider a part of your core
I, too, had some “Baby Parise” vibes from him the first two seasons. It’s clear to me now that he just doesn’t have the offensive instincts that Parise had. I don’t see a player who is confident with his shot or really any part of his offensive game.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He wishes he could shoot the puck like Palms. He's honestly more like a Tatar. If he ever gets to that Montreal Tatar or 22-23 Tatar I'll be happy but he's got a ways to go

Yeah he doesn't have Palms's shot at all but just the streakiness of his game and he'll usually have more better games than bad ones. Could've had a 2 goal game tonight to help with the mind numbing penalty in Detroit he had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I, too, had some “Baby Parise” vibes from him the first two seasons. It’s clear to me now that he just doesn’t have the offensive instincts that Parise had. I don’t see a player who is confident with his shot or really any part of his offensive game.

I actually like Mercer's pure shot a lot shot than Parise's but yeah just doesn't have the offensive instincts to use it enough. He's only averaging 1.6 shots a game since the start of last year which is just not good enough. Parise was like a 4-5 shot a game guy in his prime. 16 shots in 11 games this year while being stapled to Nico is really bad stuff. Mercer had ELITE hands in junior and even in the league utilized them better in the past. His offensive game has been completely broken since the start of last year.

Reactions: longislanddevil

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Jack can't finish and looks like he's trying to be more of a playmaker and not looking for his own shot as much as he did last season

another game where they lost bc of goaltender, tho. Can't wait for Fitz to trade for another trash backup in hope he'll fix our problems

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Not completely upset with this if the context of leaving the game with 0 points vs got 1.

A little worried long run if we cannot have goaltending that is solid we will be again where we were last season.

Keefes OT d decisions are wacky. Should be Luke on that first matchup

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Jack can't finish and looks like he's trying to be more of a playmaker and not looking for his own shot as much as he did last season

another game where they lost bc of goaltender, tho. Can't wait for Fitz to trade for another trash backup in hope he'll fix our problems

This was not a loss because of goaltending. This was a loss because they blew their great chances.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
There is no morality from constructing a winning roster through the draft. Build the best team you can and don’t wait. When you’re done complaining, check across the river. The fans that complain about building sustainable rosters via draft are broke or losers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I really thought Mercer would be a consistent 25-30 goal player. The eye test tells me that he struggles to finish. That weak breakaway move was yet another example to me. Maybe it’s a case of me (and others) overrating our own players. Seth Jarvis he is not.
The rest of the league overrated him too, people were dying to put him in rumored Timo trades.

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Mercer started the same way last season. Let's see if he warms up by mid November.

Not great given he has been stapled to the best player on the team right now and is unable to capitalize on that.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Last hope for Palat is Nico. If he can’t save him it’s definitely over. Switch him and Mercer

That's what I've been saying too. If he can't make things work with Nico then he's already more than 6 feet under

Mercer started the same way last season. Let's see if he warms up by mid November.

Not great given he has been stapled to the best player on the team right now and is unable to capitalize on that.

I think he's a very different player than he was to start last year. Says more about how horrendous he was to start last year though. I think he's been a valuable defensive winger so far. You just need more from him.

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think he's a very different player than he was to start last year. Says more about how horrendous he was to start last year though. I think he's been a valuable defensive winger so far. You just need more from him.

Agreed.

At least also he is a better PKer so far this season. Last season on the PK Mercer was a bit shaky. So far he is a good PKer

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
5-4-2 is not ideal especially after starting 4-1.

Which one is the real team? The one that beat up on bad teams or the one that keeps losing to good ones? Hmm, maybe that is the team.

We are super mid. Not great at any one thing. Just ok all around. If Jack is not a 100 point player this is not a playoff team. Or bubble at best.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
I was chastised by a few fanboys in here over the summer for saying G Markstrom was getting older for a goalie and not worth the trade, Palat was also too slow, and Hamilton was going to come back slow as well.

Good to see most in here see the game well. Both Palat and Hamilton are a step off. That one step is what creates an opportunity for the opposition.

Believe it or not we have a very good team this year, all we need is a little chemistry, confidence, and puck luck to click. They will get it together and we will be fine soon. Palat can hide with less minutes and be used sparingly but I think Hamilton's "year off" really hurt his career and defenseman who slow down really become exposed. Sometimes bigger guys have a tough time getting back.

Good night.
🇨🇦

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad