New York Islanders: Isaiah George signs ELC

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This was a sure thing to happen by next summer.

Not so sure what the benefit is to use up a contract slot at this point, especially on a guy who is not only in one of the top-producing developmental environments on the planet, but clearly needs to rebound from a trying 22-23 season?

I mean, for guys like Odelius and Liukas, having that ELC means you can "demand" they come over for whatever camps even though their pro teams are in full pre- (and now regular) season swing. That ELC gives you legal priority over any teams they're loaned out to.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to pick up on what some fans at no less than Twitter (uh, X) have to say about George.

They seem to espout a form of enthusiasm that clearly indicates they followed him little through his struggles last season.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Knew it was going to happen one way or another, but excited to get this kid on the books. Really hoping for a breakout season from him.

As is the Londoner way, this would be the season for him to arrive on the scene in a big way.

With personnel like Bonk, Edward, and super prospects Dickinson and Brustewiezsiczeiewicz, it'll be a big test of what he'd actually got in order to rack up top 3 minutes.

Sure hope he doesn't leave this NYI camp with an injury again like last year.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This was a sure thing to happen by next summer.

Not so sure what the benefit is to use up a contract slot at this point, especially on a guy who is not only in one of the top-producing developmental environments on the planet, but clearly needs to rebound from a trying 22-23 season?

I mean, for guys like Odelius and Liukas, having that ELC means you can "demand" they come over for whatever camps even though their pro teams are in full pre- (and now regular) season swing. That ELC gives you legal priority over any teams they're loaned out to.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to pick on what some fans at no less than Twitter (uh, X) have to say about George.

They seem to espout a form of enthusiasm that clearly indicates they followed him little through his struggles last season.

Is this a move by Lou to get these prospects in the AHL and therefore the isles system? It is tough for me to defend moves like this until we see some prospects actually come up and play well. Seems odd to waste a contract spot on a player who aside from this prospect camp looked like he needed more seasoning. I am surprised when I see a vet like Lou do things like this. Unless George is really that much further along or the organization knows something do not about last season.

Reactions: periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is this a move by Lou to get these prospects in the AHL and therefore the isles system?

I'm not 100% certain (but almost), but I don't think George can play in BPort due to the NHL's agreement with the CHL. He's under 20 and only has two OHL seasons under his belt. He hasn't come close to playing the amount of games that would otherwise free him up for AHL eligibility. So, for this season, it's either the NHL or the OHL.

Even if they somehow could, why remove him from arguably one of the top 3 developmental spots in the CHL when they already have 9 viable Dmen bodies in BPort?

As a sidenote, George is eligible for the WJC.

The European kids are a different story. You can sign, bring 'em over, and plug em in the AHL right away, already at 18. They did that with Holmstrom. What many may not know or have picked up on though, is that the home clubs (perhaps via the respective federations) for such players are given a compensation fee in the process. It's fairly considerate too, which means it can go a VERY long way in funding their junior programs while aiding the pro clubs to "afford" older pro players who then fill the job spot their drafted kid would have perhaps otherwise occupied.

It is tough for me to defend moves like this until we see some prospects actually come up and play well. Seems odd to waste a contract spot on a player who aside from this prospect camp looked like he needed more seasoning. I am surprised when I see a vet like Lou do things like this. Unless George is really that much further along or the organization knows something do not about last season.

There must be some benefit from the managerial side of things. I can't say what it is, but all around the league we see guys signing ELCs although they're often years removed from being an NHL topic.

I just haven't figured out what that benefit is.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don’t the CHL entry level deals ‘slide’ while the prospect is playing in juniors and therefore not count against the 50 contract limit?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Signed last summer before camp and went to the Memorial Cup with London but I haven't heard much about him.

Is there a spot for him with Bridgeport and what are the Islanders expecting from him this year and beyond?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Don’t the CHL entry level deals ‘slide’ while the prospect is playing in juniors and therefore not count against the 50 contract limit?

Yes.

But a college kid loses his eligibility, of course.

Celebrini just turned 18 on June 2nd.

Where do they put him?

Or do they really want Eklund, Smith, and Celebrini up the middle?

That's a very risky thing to do from a developmental standpoint, not to mention they have other experienced and prospect options right there as well.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Signed last summer before camp and went to the Memorial Cup with London but I haven't heard much about him.

Is there a spot for him with Bridgeport and what are the Islanders expecting from him this year and beyond?

These boards and a number of Isles fans on X love him. There's some real excitement about his possibilities.

If you watched the London Knights closely the past two seasons, you'll have a healthier and more rounded take on him, and it's not as flattering.

He has some tools. That's good.

But he hasn't come close to figuring out how to best make use of them to his and his team's advantage. Not even as an older player at the junior level.

The belief is that he'll be in Bridgeport this season. He already signed his ELC last summer.

With the news about Isles prospect Nurmi being drafted by London in the import draft, and with him too having signed his ELC just weeks ago, I have to wonder if it isn't more prudent to have both of them spending this season with the wonderful developmental crew in London.

There's really no rush for either to be in the AHL right now and as mentioned, George hasn't even aced the OHL yet. There are still steps to take, even there.

Why not see if he can even spearhead a run to the Memorial Cup?

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Defenseman that fail to hit .5pts/g at the CHL level almost never make it as NHL regulars.

Reactions: xECK29x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Defenseman that fail to hit .5pts/g at the CHL level almost never make it as NHL regulars.
I said this years ago when trying to make sense of why Pelech solidified himself as an everyday NHLer while Reinhart is retired from professional play.

They didn’t look too far off from each other early on in their development, but as time went on it became clear Reinhart just did not have the offensive instincts that are required by even the most offensively inept stay-at-home defensemen. It didn’t help that he used cinder blocks for skates, but still CHL production usually can’t happen without certain traits needed to play in the NHL.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I said this years ago when trying to make sense of why Pelech solidified himself as an everyday NHLer while Reinhart is retired from professional play.

They didn’t look too far off from each other early on in their development, but as time went on it became clear Reinhart just did not have the offensive instincts that are required by even the most offensively inept stay-at-home defensemen. It didn’t help that he used cinder blocks for skates, but still CHL production usually can’t happen without certain traits needed to play in the NHL.
My guess is that more goals are scored in the CHL off the rush, where defensemen would thus pick up a decent number of points simply by making a smart outlet pass. If a guy isn't getting those "cheap" 2nd assists, it means they're not moving the puck out of the zone well enough. And if they can't do that against CHL competition....

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Not to jump to another team but that’s the criticism with the guys across the river. Emery is a stay at home dman with horrendous offensive numbers.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not to jump to another team but that’s the criticism with the guys across the river. Emery is a stay at home dman with horrendous offensive numbers.

Emery is very good.

He's gonna pop at some point. And despite like only 11 assists for the program throughout the season, he put up 6 points at the U18 Worlds.

He's a legit defensive Dman on the rise.

Reactions: SI90

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Emery is very good.

He's gonna pop at some point. And despite like only 11 assists for the program throughout the season, he put up 6 points at the U18 Worlds.

He's a legit defensive Dman on the rise.
He’ll be someone to monitor this year

What’s your opinion on high floor draft selections?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He’ll be someone to monitor this year

What’s your opinion on high floor draft selections?

Taking a player like George in the 4th round is right on target. You identify a key skill or two that he brings to the table (in his case, skating) and determine what else he really needs to work on and if you believe what he's missing can be developed.

As an 18-year-old, there was absolutely no reason to believe he wouldn't be able to pep up every other part of his game, especially considering where he was playing and how well London develops players.

I'd suggest picks like this every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

In general, it's said that as of round 4, it's about what I just wrote. Do you see one key ingredient player X possesses? Do you think the other stuff can be successfully developed to a reliable level in the next 3-6 years? A yes to both of these questions means there's no reason to hesitate at that point in the draft.

For many staffs though, by this point in the draft they're seeing a lot of players where they can only answer yes to one of these questions.

In any case, looking at players with theoretically high floors who feature lots of question marks in the first few rounds is risky business.

Many teams have been burned along. Heck, more often than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad